The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

Do y'all feel the Westin and Turnberry chose 8th because it's near the Gulch or because it's farther away from lower Broadway or both? Either way looking out over the 4 acres of green roof will be a world class signature view.

not-sure-if-srs.gif

Do y'all feel the Westin and Turnberry chose 8th because it's near the Gulch or because it's farther away from lower Broadway or both? Either way looking out over the 4 acres of green roof will be a world class signature view.

I doubt they were intentionally trying to be away from lower Broadway.  Lower Broad is one of if not the main attraction for people from all walks of life that come to visit the city.  I think it's an ideal location that is right across from the MCC, a short walk to Broad and a short walk to The Gulch.  I agree that the views will be awesome.

• Like 1

I don't think they would have any qualms about building on any of the lots around KVB.  I think they would prefer to be South of Broad because of the MCC.  Outside of the lot where the Walgreens is going there aren't very many parcels large enough to build a hotel close to Broad.  It would however be a good pitch to play off The Gulch's so called sophistication and proximity to the MCC.

From Getahn Ward at the Tennessean... 

nw20140408towermassingfullshot.jpg

1399492849000-NW-20140408-Tower-Massing-

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/05/07/starwood-confirms-westin-brand-new-nashville-hotel/8804535/

I'd say it's a pretty good bet that this one will exceed 300'. Definitely not crazy about the street presence, but it is by far an edgier design than the Omni. I'd say Omni beats this at street level.  Of course, we'll have to see the finished product. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

it looks like an infinity pool at the top on a roof deck...

and if that is a water fall feature beside the motor court they may have a hard time keeping people out of it

Edited by Guest

So these project beg the question. Now that the MCC is complete, and those involved were short-sighted enough to remove the entrance at the roundabout to save a few pennies, will an expensive retrofit be necessary to cater to these hotels?

There is an entrance at the corner of 8th and Demonbreun. Anywhere else on the 8th street side you would walk into  exhibit hall d.

I like it. I think the glass is cool and I like the water fall/fountain. I'm guessing that will face the roundabout? Also, the crown seems to mimic the entrance and perhaps the rolling roof of the MCC. I just wonder what the big television looking glass is at the top? Hopefully more renderings will follow.

Eh, I think it's kind of ugly...

I'm also not a big fan of taking a huge lot and putting an enormous building on a small corner of it, and only two stories (?) across the rest. Seems like an awful waste of space when you could sell that parcel to another developer for a substantial sum, and have a neighbor to boot!

I'm hoping there are other renderings that come out that show it in a better light, because it's kind of difficult to tell what I'm looking at.  As of right now when I look at that rendering I feel like I'm looking at a proposal for a 1984 Dallas office building.  That base in particular is reminiscent of bad eighties design, which I'm not too pleased with. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

Just looking at the rendering, I am wondering if the low-rise portion is the part that fronts 8th Avenue.... ergo faces MCC.  Also, the square "window" on the rooftop could be a pool that has one of those glass walls with a skyline view (to the north).  Still have trouble with the bland side facing (what I think is) 8th Avenue.  

• Like 1

I like the tower portion. They could do better with the base, though.

I'm in that boat.    The base has more blank street wall than I would like.     The tower would be a welcome newcomer on the skyline.    Kind of wish the glass sides were facing east/west instead of the blank side facing MCC, if I'm reading the orientation correctly.