The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

If you will look at that floor plan for the street level of this hotel, you will see a faint line drawn down the middle of the picture. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing it is where the east-facing side of the tower will be (above the "podium").  If so, then the look of the podium might not look as long as the rendering would suggest.  The reason for this is that the tower in the picture looks to rise entirely to the west (on the 9th Avenue side) of the auto court/canopy; but the faint line in the drawing appears to be approximately over the middle of the canopy.  Looking at the placement of the elevator bank supports this notion as it would be at "dead center" of what looks like the footprint of the tower. So perhaps the tower will rise from the middle of the podium, instead of west of the auto court canopy. If I am correct, then the podium should look less exaggerated (e.g. less flat) on the 8th Avenue side.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

after looking at the floor plan more and comparing it to the rendering, I think it is definite that there has been much redesigning, the silver swoosh in the rendering that we always assumed faced 8th had doors under it. these are not in the floor plan.

unless.  we were always wrong about the orientation of the rendering and the tower in it faces 8th, as in the long side of he tower is north south not east west. if that is the case that could have changed an the tower is now east west.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy wow. Not particularly inspiring, but where has this been the past several months we've been lamenting the terrible render they left us with previously?

At least it's not cartoonish anymore.

(Seriously big hole, btw. Same depth as indicated in my previous photo, except the entire hole is that deep now.)

This one didn't have a waterfall in a rendering.  It has the swimming pool of "death" with the glass wall on the rooftop. Still there!  The waterfall was in something called "Crescendo" which was not a serious proposal by someone who has made a few offbeat proposals, including a 30-story guitar.

Edited by MLBrumby

Well, it does show "diversity" as a render.  What immediately strikes a sour note to me is the appearance of what seems like finished concrete or EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing System), such as Dryvit or other composite architectural cladding, exposed along the vertical corner elevations.  It's not so "up front" (so to speak) as glaring with such surfaces extending horizontally (as with the Virgin Hotel rendering), instead of towering columns of blank blandness.

Actually may have been intended as some masonry material, but such a choice of finish is too reminiscent of the mid-'80s construction style of current Renaissance Hotel and Office Twr (formerly Stouffer), and I am just opposed to a warmed-over revival of 30 years ago.  My sentiment is that a structure of that branding could afford a style less inclined to incorporate exposed monolithically proportioned surface area, without having to resort to the more expensive natural (mineral) materials.  Otherwise, the design appears little more than a Wyndham-family suite.

Again, though, that is a rendering ─ only a rendering still at this point ─ and there is no compelling reason to confer gravity to that design as being anything close to finalized, any more than to any other conceptualization, unless the sources have expressed a commitment to it.  It's a pity that we seem to have to, though.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Do the floor heights get increasingly taller as you go up?     The top 6 floors, at least, appear to have higher ceiling heights than the lower floors.    Might just be the way they've stylized the rendering.   

I still struggle with the orientation of this damn thing.     Are we looking at it from the north - northwest (so that the roundabout would be behind the tower from this angle)?