The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

• 2 weeks later...

Snapped this very poor shot as I drove by yesterday:

5d10e2e39b70a0bb391b786b16f6ca4c.jpeg

There really isn't anything overly exciting to see--I'm primarily posting it so you can see how quickly they are moving. The caissons are nearly level with the street, but the actual parking decks have a ways to go. One side of the site has made substantial progress, but the other has bare dirt still visible.

We'll have some height here before long...

• Like 2

It's worth noting that steelworkers have walked off the Westin and SESAC building sites. I didn't know they were paid such low wages.

http://www.middletnjwj.org/unrepresented_ironworkers_strike_to_improve_standards

Wow. That article only tells one side of the story, but if true, those labor conditions are borderline criminal. I hope some major improvements are made.

This is akin to giving credence to an al jazeera ... or MSNBC story...ha

I detest unions, but whole hardily support the workers' rights to ask for higher wages.... they will either go back to work at the existing wage/conditions, be replaced, or receive a wage hike.... all depends on the margin the contractor has built into the project and the availability of labor.... again the market sets the rate.

It's worth noting that steelworkers have walked off the Westin and SESAC building sites. I didn't know they were paid such low wages.

http://www.middletnjwj.org/unrepresented_ironworkers_strike_to_improve_standards

Edited by Guest

I detest unions, but whole hardily support the worker's rights to ask for higher wages.... they will either go back to work at the existing wage/conditions, be replaced, or receive a wage hike.... all depends on the margin the contractor has built into the project and the availability of labor.... again the market sets the rate.

Agreed completely.

Although you realize Al jazeera may be one of the most unbiased news sources out there, right? You should watch it sometime if you get it or are in a hotel that does. Good reporting.

But part of doing scummy things or having family do scummy things is that you get little credit when it comes to matters such as these. That is just how the world works. Fair or not.

I detest unions, but whole hardily support the workers' rights to ask for higher wages.... they will either go back to work at the existing wage/conditions, be replaced, or receive a wage hike.... all depends on the margin the contractor has built into the project and the availability of labor.... again the market sets the rate.

Unions are the best part of American democracy, but we can debate that off air. According to the market, these guys were way underpaid:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472171.htm

I think we know where each other stands on this issue.

I will add this (Gov't reports notwithstanding) -

"The market wage is the price for labor determined by the labor market. The supply of labor is determined by the workers or employees. The demand for labor is determined by employers. The intersection of demand and supply determine the quantity and price of labor. 

In some markets, the market wage for labor is too low to support a suitable standard of living. Thus, the government has come up with "minimum wage" which is a price floor on the price of labor. This means that there will be more labor supply than demand. More workers will want the higher wage, but employers may not be able to afford to pay the higher wage, so as a result, there are less jobs available."

I think we know where each other stands on this issue.

I will add this (Gov't reports notwithstanding) -

"The market wage is the price for labor determined by the labor market. The supply of labor is determined by the workers or employees. The demand for labor is determined by employers. The intersection of demand and supply determine the quantity and price of labor. 

In some markets, the market wage for labor is too low to support a suitable standard of living. Thus, the government has come up with "minimum wage" which is a price floor on the price of labor. This means that there will be more labor supply than demand. More workers will want the higher wage, but employers may not be able to afford to pay the higher wage, so as a result, there are less jobs available."

There is also something to be said about being a decent human being living in the wealthiest country in the world and treating people like human beings. But thats another story I suppose.

• Like 2

Well... everyone is free to listen to their inner-voice and pay their employees whatever they want.... I would never advocate that the government criminalize wage rates just the opposite...

My experience with observing the activities of unions in Philadelphia showed they were not afraid of outright lies to get their way, not to mention extortion and slander. Unfortunately,the vile activity of their brethren has tainted much of what they say in my eyes.

That being said, the company was violating numerous laws in its conduct if the stories are true. I'd like to see if there's another side to the picture.

• Like 2

Agreed completely.

Although you realize Al jazeera may be one of the most unbiased news sources out there, right? You should watch it sometime if you get it or are in a hotel that does. Good reporting.

But part of doing scummy things or having family do scummy things is that you get little credit when it comes to matters such as these. That is just how the world works. Fair or not.

Agreed on AlJazeera America.  Television news isn't really my thing, but when I do need to turn to TV for some news it's either aljazeera or BBC for me.  STRICTLY "the news."  Very little, if any, opinion to the right or left.  Fox News, CNN and MSNBC are generally for people looking for affirmation rather than news, in my opinion.   

Sorry for the off topic post.  Just wanted to endorse them since many may not have tuned into them before.  It's quality stuff!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...