New Courtyard Marriott coming to downtown Holland

GRDadof3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the area but IMHO somewhere between   :yawn: and  :sick:.  I guess that suburban inns is an appropriate name.  

Seriously? What's wrong with it? It's built to the street (8th Street, the main street in downtown Holland), has a lot of ground floor activity, has balconies overlooking 8th, lots of masonry, all the parking is on the back block (appears to be a ramp), has good mass to it. The rooflines might be a bit much but that's totally fitting with downtown Holland architecture. I'd give it an A-, B+.

they checked all the boxes but the overall effect is a rather boring one.  I don't see how it is going to blend in with the surrounding downtown, given it's size and for something that stands out, I think that they could have done better.

they checked all the boxes but the overall effect is a rather boring one.  I don't see how it is going to blend in with the surrounding downtown, given it's size and for something that stands out, I think that they could have done better.

This is the spot where it's going. If you pan to the right you'll see the Macatawa Bank next door with a very similar style.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.790328,-86.101486,3a,75y,326.46h,91.02t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sU1ySGwEddV2yaqOeYDeKGA!2e0

From the hotel you'll be able to see the Haworth Center which also has a similar roof style.

well they could do a lot worse, that is for sure.  it will certainly be a lot better than the haworth center.  I hope that on the ground floor they make a half dozen independent storefronts rather than just have a large bank of windows to the lobby or whatever occupies the first floor of the bank. 

I love it, I dont know what more you could ask for there. Of course its better than the empty lot, keeping the "courtyard" thats already there, adding some (but not too much) height to the area, staying with the dutch revival theme of other new buildings nearby, plenty of ground floor retail space, and balconies! 

Archived