True Iconic Statement Architecture,.

Paramount747

Now that Nashville is growing up....a bit, who will be the architect that will design a true iconic piece of architecture?

Here is a list of some of my favorite architects:

Perkins-Wil

Adrian Smith Gordon Gil

Lucian LaGrange

SOM

Cesar Pelli

Pichard Chilton

Duda Paine

Gensler

Loewenberg

Henning Larsen

Jurgen Mayer.H

There are many others, but who will come to town, or back to town? Pichard Chilton did the Pinnacle, and SOM did the Snodgrass.

Are we going to rely on Tony, or will another player come into view. BTW, 1212 Laurel is a nice project. We are getting there, but we need something world recognizable.

Discuss

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PH, that is a nice piece, but after 15 years it's not happening. There was one firm that offered to buy the property for a triple tower development in 20, 30, 40 story range all on one site, and each building was connected. Jim Cooper would not even contact the Feds about the offer because as he said, "In another 5 years we can have a new Federal Courthouse." Mayor Dean commented in the local media that he was not going to get in the middle of Federal  business.

Still, people here cannot get out of the Classical, Greek Revival time period. Just like the Schermerhorn Symphony Hall, everyone wants  everything to look like the State Capitol or the L&C Tower. It's unfortunate how short sighted local architects, developers, and government officials are here.

This Michael Graves piece already looks like a year 1999/2000 design when it was first proposed.

If there is any building that should have a neoclassical look, it would be a federal courthouse.  I would also see FMDJ a Second Empire and raise him a Beaux Arts.

Schermerhorn is a little bit of a hot mess because it has some classical elements a la 1893 Columbian Exposition but the faux Eqyptian reliefs on the columns weren't popular until the 1920s.

If you must have it, leave the cutting edge architecture to showy office buildings and tacky hospitals.  A federal courthouse should present a sense of history and dignity.

If there is any building that should have a neoclassical look, it would be a federal courthouse.  I would also see FMDJ a Second Empire and raise him a Beaux Arts.

Schermerhorn is a little bit of a hot mess because it has some classical elements a la 1893 Columbian Exposition but the faux Eqyptian reliefs on the columns weren't popular until the 1920s.

If you must have it, leave the cutting edge architecture to showy office buildings and tacky hospitals.  A federal courthouse should present a sense of history and dignity.

Agreed in part Brett, but the Michael Graves design is lacking. If you go to GSA.gov and look at some of the other designs, one would agree his design is weak.

This Michael Graves piece already looks like a year 1999/2000 design when it was first proposed.

I agree.  I think it's a really boring design.  Graves is like any top architect... the good is REALLY good... the rest is ... eh!  

Archived