The Morris, 19 stories, 332 units, retail, $75 million

Paramount747

OK, this one is thanks to Hey Hey. He let me know and I let William know. This is behind the pay wall and is one that I said you would like. Lennar is planning a 17 story mixed use tower at the NE corner of 19th & Chet Atkins. This will be right next to the Stonehenge project now under construction.

The site is currently zoned for 10 stories and would have to redone. They are planning 300 units.

Behind pay wall.

http://nashvillepost...ing_for_midtown

I figured I would move the entire post here as well. I would hope that you would have been a little more excited over this one.

I figured I would move the entire post here as well. I would hope that you would have been a little more excited over this one.

I'm excited, it just doesn't show.  :mellow:   I think this is a great place for ground floor retail, it will expand the night life/restaurant area over there.

I love proposals like this. Obviously because it's positive development (at least in theory since we haven't seen a rendering yet), but because of the overall image that proposals like this one give. Mid-rise proposals are expected in the CBD and now somewhat the Gulch and SoBro (if you want to isolate that from the CBD), but when you have towers in areas such as this one near Adelicia it gives Nashville the feeling that it's much larger than what it really is. In a lot of larger cities you can be away from downtown and still have some legit density and height in various neighborhoods and now that Nashville is moving toward that you can somewhat start to get the feeling that Nashville is really growing. 

• Like 2

I like the idea of this coming to that neighborhood. I'll wait on a rendering before as fully embrace it, but the bottom line is that it gets 300 additional families into the core with retail in the bottom that will serve residents already living there.

I will also say that I do not think this will fly through the approval process without some neighborhood concerns. This encroaches on a buffer zone, in terms of height, for residential neighborhoods 3 or 4 blocks away.

• Like 1

I think the only folks that will be against it is the folks that live in the Adelicia. But it blocked a number of views when it was built and no one complained then. I think the fact that the Buckingham Midtown project was approved will set the precedence for the area.

I tend to agree.     With Adelecia, Buckingham, 1515, Hilton Garden, Home 2 Suites, Rhythm, BMI and Roundabout Plaza, the neighborhood is going increasingly vertical.    Plus, I don't think very many of the bungalows in the immediate neighborhood are actually residential anymore - most are offices or rental. 

I think the only folks that will be against it is the folks that live in the Adelicia. But it blocked a number of views when it was built and no one complained then. I think the fact that the Buckingham Midtown project was approved will set the precedence for the area.

I doubt that any significant number of us will oppose it; since we didn't with Buckingham which is much closer

I was referring to residents east of 16th. There is a height buffer that was put in place (I believe as part of the Midtown/Green Hills plan) that gradually steps down maximum heights in a linear fashion from 20 stories at 21st Ave to 4 or 5 on Music Row. This project is 7 stories above the allowable height per that graduated buffer. This was what the meetings with the community were about that were mentioned in the Post article. There is at least some opposition and support from those residents for this project.  

Be great to see a rendering soon. I hope the NIMBY'S don't try to stop this one.

I know it's often too much to ask, but considering the neighborhood, I don't think NIMBYism will be a very big problem.  There are already midrise buildings, and the neighborhood already has a decidedly urban feel to it anyway.

The only concerns I've heard so far are that the proposal is off any major through-fare, creating severe traffic concerns [in an area already packed with local and through traffic].  19th is too narrow as it is and only runs between Division and Grand.  The angle at Division makes it almost impossible to navigate onto Division westbound or to continue on 19th northbound towards Broadway and West End.  Chet Akins is one-way between 17th and 16th [each also one-way] making travel southbound towards Demonbruen a circuitious route with multiple left turns, and CA westbound only puts you at 20th with its own problems [soon to be worsened by Buckingham].  If this project were on Broadway, 21st or even Division, these concerns wouldn't exist.

Do you believe the traffic concerns can be overcome by revising the street directions on the one-way outlets? It is a problematic site to add a large amount of traffic. I am hoping the traffic engineers can devise some workable plan.

I can't believe the 19th Ave realignment at Division wasn't done years ago. The traffic pattern there is downright dangerous at night, especially on weekends with so many pedestrians around. Since there are no real crosswalks it's a bit 'wild west' with people running across the street in odd places, dodging cars.

Realignment wouldn't be that difficult, as it would only eliminate some or all of a parking lot that only sees use by the valets at Chuy's.

• 4 months later...