The Morris, 19 stories, 332 units, retail, $75 million

Paramount747

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about these types of buildings becoming architectural gems. Don't get me wrong, they need to look good, but they don't each have to stand out above the crowd.  The more important attributes of this building (as well as 1515 Demonbreun, Skyhouse, Buckingham) is that it gets people living in the core and it improves the walkability because of ground level retail.  I think Nashville has progressed to the point that our architectural gems are going to be 30+ floors.   I have much higher hopes for Sobro, 505CST, and Sheet Music because each of those are going to push the envelope for Nashville. That's not the role of M Residence or most of the others recently announced.

• Like 2

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about these types of buildings becoming architectural gems. Don't get me wrong, they need to look good, but they don't each have to stand out above the crowd.  The more important attributes of this building (as well as 1515 Demonbreun, Skyhouse, Buckingham) is that it gets people living in the core and it improves the walkability because of ground level retail.  I think Nashville has progressed to the point that our architectural gems are going to be 30+ floors.   I have much higher hopes for Sobro, 505CST, and Sheet Music because each of those are going to push the envelope for Nashville. That's not the role of M Residence or most of the others recently announced.

True and I've said something similar to that a couple of times before. However, I think we're getting to the point to where we should expect a slight step up in design. I think we'll get that with the Virgin Hotel. As it's being mentioned in another thread, the Gulch is on it's way and doesn't particularly need any help. I'd say the same thing about SoBro as far as just have new developments is excellent, however it's about time to step it up. 

I'm not arguing with you on your points if my comment comes off like that. I'm just kinda adding to what you said. 

I completely agree that we shouldn't expect an architectural masterpiece with the majority of projects, but I'm not asking for expensive architectural masterpieces.  I just think it'd be nice to get something different for a change.  It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, but it'd be nice to see some creativity on occasion. 

• Like 3

Seems like Midtown could develop a nice skyline if all of the proposals happen. Be our little version of Buckhead?

More like our very mini version of Midtown Atlanta. Green Hills would be the mini mini version of Buckhead.

If you have been to Buckhead lately, it's more like another version of midtown Atlanta and more dense than downtown Nashville. In some respects, I hope we do not get the suburban skylines that Atlanta has. Inside the 440 loop is fine, but elsewhere is sort of crazy based on our road system.

• Like 3

Buckhead is taller than DT Nashville, without question. But more dense? I wouldn't go there.

The Green Hills parallel fits it better. It is suburbia with skyscrapers.

Suburbia with skyscrapers is the perfect definition of Buckhead. I really do not like it. Interesting stuff architecturally, but it's hardly an answer to suburban sprawl. Just more of it, but with taller buildings.  Same traffic problems, environmental destruction, lack of character, et cetera, et cetera.

• Like 4

Suburbia with skyscrapers is the perfect definition of Buckhead. I really do not like it. Interesting stuff architecturally, but it's hardly an answer to suburban sprawl. Just more of it, but with taller buildings.  Same traffic problems, environmental destruction, lack of character, et cetera, et cetera.

I couldn't agree more.  Sometimes people confuse the mere existence of skyscrapers with urbanity, but if said skyscraper is still surrounded by a wall and/or parking lot then although it does provide more density, it really might as well just be a strip mall.

• Like 1

Spent many days, weeks in Buckhead. They have been trying to annex away from Atlanta for years to be their own city. It never passes.

I read that Atlanta (including Buckhead) has 37 buildings that are 400' or higher.

...wow...

I just spent the Labor Day weekend there and stayed downtown in the Marriott Marquis.  It's an impressive structure on the inside.  Being around those buildings and being in a dense canyon of high rises... it's tough to look at Nashville's skyline.  But I can only imagine what Nashville can become one day.  It just stinks that there is an army of 20+ story buildings being built instead of 40-70+ story buildings.  I know we will never be like Atlanta, nor should we want to, but I do wish we would gain a little more height than what's being planned.

Atlanta I found is very unwalkable... even in Buckhead. It reminds me of Dallas, Houston, etc.

I would much rather be a city like DC, Portland, etc. that is walkable than a lot of skyscrapers surrounded by interstates and parking lots. 

Nashville really has the chance to be a walkable city with a nice mix of low/mid/high rise and a few skyscrapers. 

We are also very lucky to have the Cumberland River... hopefully downtown will someday fully utilize it. 

• Like 3

I read that Atlanta (including Buckhead) has 37 buildings that are 400' or higher.

...wow...

I just spent the Labor Day weekend there and stayed downtown in the Marriott Marquis.  It's an impressive structure on the inside.  Being around those buildings and being in a dense canyon of high rises... it's tough to look at Nashville's skyline.  But I can only imagine what Nashville can become one day.  It just stinks that there is an army of 20+ story buildings being built instead of 40-70+ story buildings.  I know we will never be like Atlanta, nor should we want to, but I do wish we would gain a little more height than what's being planned.

Architectural fear and conservatism has hurt Nashville. Why build 40 when you can build 30 and send the rest to Cool Springs? Nashville has been a reluctant big city for decades. We had 450,000 in the 1960's which is still larger than some cities today. As we approach the 2 million mark for MSA's, we will have to go up. There is not enough land to support repeated building of low rise buildings.

Unfortunately skyscrapers for many Nashvillian's spell big city, and they want no part of it. Just ask the protestors in Belle Meade that went ballistic over a 22 story high rise, which is now going to be 16.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 9/12/2014, 12:40:49, nashvylle said:

Atlanta I found is very unwalkable... even in Buckhead. It reminds me of Dallas, Houston, etc.

I haven't spent much time in Atlanta, but I did visit a couple weeks ago and went to Atlantic Station to eat.  The sense I got there was that (at least Atlantic Station) was suburban inspired urbanity.  The car was still placed at the forefront.  They have tall buildings, but they built massive new roads in front of them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I haven't spent much time in Atlanta, but I did visit a couple weeks ago and went to Atlantic Station to eat.  The sense I got there was that (at least Atlantic Station) was suburban inspired urbanity.  The car was still placed at the forefront.  They have tall buildings, but they built massive new roads in front of them. 

That is Atlantic Station, basically a skyscraper Franklin Park or Ovation with some decent retail. The only part that's truly walkable is part of Midtown, Virginia Highland, and part of downtown Atlanta.