Austin Economy/Culture/Growth/Photos/Whatever

The ATX

On 10/4/2019 at 8:17 PM, dragonfly said:

As fast as Austin is growing now, I'm pretty sure that Austin grew 35% between 1980 and 1985 when I was living there, if anyone remembers or can verify that. I think those years inclusive meaning a 6 year period, ending with the recession that forced me to move to Houston for work. Question: I looked around to see if Austin has a 5 star hotel, and could not determine so if you could tell me if one exists or is being built. They just broke ground on Nashville's second 5 star property, a Four Seasons 40 story located across the street from the riverbank.  I will say this about Nashville and it is astonishing, but they have been in the top 5 hotel building metros for several years, in numbers of rooms under construction: https://www.nreionline.com/hotel/eight-busiest-cities-hotel-development/gallery?slide=5.

Austin had its first downtown boom - all office - in the early to mid-80s.  But most of the growth was suburban sprawl, and the growth rate was more like 20% for the first half of the 80s.

I don't keep up with hotel ratings, and there seems to be multiple sources for the star rating.  The Four Seasons for one has been referred to as a five star hotel.  

• 1 month later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 6:29 PM, KJHburg said:

I can't wait to visit later this year for the first time in about 6 years or so.  

Well, hotel rooms and flights should be extremely cheap by then, and traffic won't be nearly as bad as usual.  Plus downtown venues/ restaurants won't be too crowded. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

from the Houston Business Journal tonight about Tesla

""Tesla Inc. has picked Austin for its next big factory.  CEO Elon Musk said July 22 the electric carmaker will build a gigafactory in Austin, ending weeks of speculation about whether the electric carmaker would pick the Texas capital or Tulsa, Oklahoma, for the project.  Tesla intends to build a 4 million- to 5 million-square-foot manufacturing facility on a site off the State Highway 130 toll road near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The $1.1 billion project could employ about 5,000 workers with an average annual salary of $47,147.  Tesla, now the world's most valuable automaker, plans to build its new Cybertruck at the plant, as well as its Model Y vehicles.""

Great news for the Austin area. 

• Like 3

On 7/22/2020 at 6:21 PM, KJHburg said:

from the Houston Business Journal tonight about Tesla

""Tesla Inc. has picked Austin for its next big factory.  CEO Elon Musk said July 22 the electric carmaker will build a gigafactory in Austin, ending weeks of speculation about whether the electric carmaker would pick the Texas capital or Tulsa, Oklahoma, for the project.  Tesla intends to build a 4 million- to 5 million-square-foot manufacturing facility on a site off the State Highway 130 toll road near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The $1.1 billion project could employ about 5,000 workers with an average annual salary of $47,147.  Tesla, now the world's most valuable automaker, plans to build its new Cybertruck at the plant, as well as its Model Y vehicles.""

Great news for the Austin area. 

:tw_thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...