The ATX

Austin Economy/Culture/Growth/Whatever

So what is the local view of whether Austin will win Amazon HQ2?  What do you think your chances are really?  I still think Amazon has a much shorter list they are working from but by creating a shorter list the incentive race will go nuclear. 

How do you feel about Dallas's chances? 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2018 at 8:52 PM, KJHburg said:

So what is the local view of whether Austin will win Amazon HQ2?  What do you think your chances are really?  I still think Amazon has a much shorter list they are working from but by creating a shorter list the incentive race will go nuclear. 

How do you feel about Dallas's chances? 

There are boosters in every one of the 20 finalist cities/areas that think they have a lock on HQ2.  Austin has boosters as well.  But I don't think the boosterism is as over the top as it in other cities.  Frankly, if it was up to the voters, HQ2 would lose in a land slide.  This city has become anti-growth - even the city council. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Austin skyline shot from May 14, 2011 wow has your skyline changed.

austin14May2011.jpg

Back in 2011 we were were happy about the changes since 2007.  Four of the five tallest in that photo were completed between '07 & '10.

• Like 1

Here's somebody's over the top love for Austin video.  It makes me want to move there.  Oh, wait...

• Like 2

In case that video in my previous post has anybody wanting to move here, look at local station KVUE's 10 day forecast.  After that 109F high it does cool down to 98F in 10 days.

LDEEtQC.png

On 7/24/2018 at 7:55 AM, Urbanlooker said:

Yesterday was a killer it got up to 112F up here in Killeen.

Even worse than 112F is the fact that you are in killeen.  

JK :)

9 hours ago, The ATX said:

Even worse than 112F is the fact that you are in killeen.  

JK :)

I don't see the lie in this logic lol unfortunately I'm stationed at FT Hood. 

French fashion company Chanel closed on 50 acres in a huge 1.5K acre mixed use project in SE Austin and will build a manufacturing plant.  This is really surprising to me because companies like that usually make their stuff in lower cost locations.

Statesman Article

• Like 1

The Army's Future Command Center opened in downtown today.  It is located in the University of Texas HQ office tower.  $11 billion dollars in research will be flowing into town according to local media reports.  One official went as far to say that this is better than HQ2 in the long term.  I can't say that I agree with that, but this is much bigger than the 500 jobs it's creating/moving to Austin.

This photo is from the Secretary of the Army when he was in town Friday for the opening of the Army Future Command Center.  The view is from the Capitol Factory which is a start up community that will be the base of some of the Army's operations.  The Command Center HQ will be in the office building  with the horizontal stripes at center-right.

AxhMrNh.png

Link

Let's call it HQ2.5.  The City of Austin is not a believer in big incentives and has become somewhat anti-business a la Seattle.  It was probably never a top contender despite help from the State of Texas.  We can't even get an MLS team and stadium built due to city politics and lawsuits when a franchise along with a free new stadium were  being handed to Austin.  Anyway, Amazon and the city were in discussions before HQ2 to expand Amazon's workforce in Austin at the Domain in a deal referred to as "Project Emerald Forest."   Any future expansion may be a restart of those plans. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2018 at 10:12 PM, The ATX said:

The Army's Future Command Center opened in downtown today.  It is located in the University of Texas HQ office tower.  $11 billion dollars in research will be flowing into town according to local media reports.  One official went as far to say that this is better than HQ2 in the long term.  I can't say that I agree with that, but this is much bigger than the 500 jobs it's creating/moving to Austin.

Well, it’s not hipster-hip.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, KJHburg said:

I hope this sale goes through.  I have a thread for the Waller Park Place project, and the project has been stale for a long time.  WeWork should be able to get it done.  But as currently approved, the two largest towers are residential and hotel.  I suspect WeWork would submit a new site plan with more office.  This sale also includes the site of Waller Park Place Phase II which would be a fourth tower.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:31 AM, Dale said:

Well, it’s not hipster-hip.

I think Austin got this for two reasons.  The Tech talent for one.  But the fact that the "largest military base in the free world" is just down the road had to have helped.

• Like 2