Nashville Crime Issues.

Paramount747

On a few threads, Nashville crime has come up, so maybe the mods can pin this to get a good discussion going for information and education.

In my situation on the East side, I have seen very little crime besides panhandling. I have been there almost 2 years now and I feel safe, but aware. Even waking late at night, I have experience no problems. Now, on the Cacey side of East Nashville, yes there are problems.

The police told us at our building there is little or no crime in the MDHA Workforce housing behind us, but the Cacey homes are still quite rough.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 3 years of living in East Nashville (off Davidson St near Shelby Park), the only crime we experienced first hand was our car was broken into overnight. This happened 2 times. Both times nothing was stolen, although the second time it was obvious the glove compartment had been rifled through. Most likely it was kids thrill seeking or a neighborhood bum.

If anything, it's really just a testament to using your common sense as both times my wife had left the vehicle unlocked (she was pregnant at the time and had "baby brain" as they called it, constantly doing stuff like this without realizing it). So really, it's not even fair to say it was broken into. If it had been locked, it would not have happened.

That's not to say crime is nonexistent there, but I have never really experienced any and we felt perfectly safe there.

Living in the belly of the beast known as Antioch, I've had two heinous incidents just across the street from my house in the last few years. One involved an illegal from Central America (here for a decade, which is appalling in and of itself), and apparently his wife or g/f called the police on him for domestic abuse (or worse). When the two cops showed up, he was armed with a knife and as they entered the house, he stabbed the first officer and a split second later, the second officer fired at the perp at point-blank range (I was sitting right here at my comp. hearing what was going on) and he staggered out into the street (both the officer and perp, I believe, survived, but it was oddly ignored by the media, save for the NewsChannel 5 helicopter which parked itself in the air directly above my house. I never heard anything about the man being charged with attempted murder or if he was finally deported or what).

The most recent incident was the attempted robbery and murder, also across the street, on March 18th. A couple of thugs (race not identified by the media, which always helps in trying to find the perp) drove up in front of a neighbor's house after dark, jumped out and tried to rob the owner and his cousin who had just gotten home. The cousin screamed and ran off, but the perps shot and killed the owner of the house and took off. As far as I know, the police are no closer to finding the perp(s) than they were that night.

http://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/News-Article/ID/2667/Detectives-Investigating-Fatal-Shooting-of-Moises-Zarate-During-Apparent-Robbery-Attempt.aspx

Nashville is just like any other big city: it has a population large enough to attract miscreants, and crime of all varieties will inevitably happen. However, if you use a little common sense, take some preventive measures, and stay out of an extremely limited few parts of town, the odds of being victimized are extremely low.

I've spent many evenings walking through neighborhoods in Nashville and other larger, more dangerous cities, and rarely have I felt truly unsafe.  There were times the hair on the back of my neck stood up, or times when things just didn't feel quite right, but I was always very aware of who was around me and what was going on, and managed to avoid unpleasantness (either for myself or the individual who would chose to accost me).  Not to say it never will happen, but I doubt I'm truly more or less likely to be a victim in Nashville as I would be in Knoxville or Dickson or Philadelphia.

I live just East of Music Row near right around Edgehill Village (that's also what we've started calling our chunk of Edgehill) and we have occasional property crime, especially in the summer months. We have a very active neighborhood group, and someone will report a home break-in or car break in every month or two. I've heard of one robbery in the neighborhood in the almost 2 years I've been here. One benefit we have is that we are patrolled by both Vanderbilt and Metro PDs (and the occasional Belmont security car) so we have more police in the neighborhood than most. Hopefully it will be made even safer once the Midtown Hills precinct opens up in a couple months.

Archived