JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

This presents parking issues for those in Cummins Station.

Indeed it does, but they have had this coming for a long time. Surely they have planned for this, or at least have some other options.

Isn't the majority of Cummins Station parking on the other side along the train tracks?

You are correct, but that lot out front is primarily Cummins parking. The Gateway Lot and Clement Landport are full, based on reports from my office manager. The surplus is going to have to go somewhere...

Sure, that's the solution.  But how do you make that happen?  And can you make that happen in time so that the current businesses in Cummins Station are not severely impacted by the sudden loss of so much parking?  These are problems that affect real people now and cannot be wished away by utopian dreams of Nashville suddenly becoming Portland.  As much as the Turnberry [or Buckingham or the Demonbruen buildings . . . . . ] is exciting and an indicator of growth, there are consequences for the existing businesses - some of which will not make it.

Someone needs to build a parking garage. Or we need adequate public transportation so that Cummins Station workers don't have to drive to work.

This project once complete will probably have a massive garage so I'd think some sort of shuttle to the MCC garage during construction or a similar arrangement could be worked out. Also possible Gulch Crossing garage could have some bandwidth?

Someone needs to build a parking garage.  Or we need adequate public transportation so that Cummins Station workers don't have to drive to work.

I would love to build a massive parking garage if I had the finances. Parking garages seem like the easiest way to make money. Always demand and the operating cost must be minimal. Not to mention the price hike whenever there are special events. MCC was charging $15 Sunday. That is about a 300% increase over their normal price?  Build a 500 car parking garage, say I only have 400 paying customers a day and cut the market by only charging $5 for full day parking for 325 days a year. (Which would be amazing to find) Then say only 40 days of the year is special event parking, which is also cutting it short. There is $890,000 is revenue.   No wonder Tony Giarrantana has money.

I have no clue what it takes to operate one, but I am just assuming a concrete block with painted lines is not that difficult.

Edited by bigeasy

but if there is a giant parking garage where the train shed was, where are the light rail trains from Williamson and Rutherford counties going to turn into and enter the  downtown transit tunnel? 

but seriously, that is a good location, as long as the top level retail was designed to compliment union station.

The place to build a massive parking garage in that area is where the RR shed stood. That is a parking lot now and it would be killer to have a multi story parking garage at that location with retail on the top floor even with Demonbreun.

I've dreamed of this before. I've also dreamed that they would roof said garage with a replica of the original shed.

• Like 1

True.  But all others, then.  :good:

Actually, you can if you build it all the way up to Demonbreun. The retail would be on the top level and street level with Demonbreun.

My thoughts are also that the parking for the Frist center would be in a parking garage at the old sheds location, as well as parking for the Union Staion and Cummins Station and the Federal Courthouse could be built sort of behind the Frist center. It meets the criteria for the 50' setback and would be right next to the existing courthouse. Connect them with a skybridge. I am just a peon, and no one would take it seriously because it's too simple.

If they did that, then the land they own could be sold and developed.

The Frist needs a large rear expansion.  Obviously, they can't go up because that would damage the historic integrity of the building.  But that museum is too darn small.  Maybe they could expand in the rear all the way to Demonbreun and work off the new hotel similar to the way that Bridgestone revamped the rear entrance to work off the MCC?  That would do wonders for the museum, the hotel, and that entrance to downtown.

• Like 3

The Frist needs a large rear expansion.  Obviously, they can't go up because that would damage the historic integrity of the building.  But that museum is too darn small.  Maybe they could expand in the rear all the way to Demonbreun and work off the new hotel similar to the way that Bridgestone revamped the rear entrance to work off the MCC?  That would do wonders for the museum, the hotel, and that entrance to downtown.

That would be a great addition.  I'm sure that will happen one day.

I can't wait to see the CMHoF's addition.  Plus...it's nice that we now have a new 800 seat performance facility inside of the Hall because that is one size the city has been lacking.  We have a lot of 500 or less venues...and several venues over 1000.

The Frist needs a large rear expansion. Obviously, they can't go up because that would damage the historic integrity of the building. But that museum is too darn small. Maybe they could expand in the rear all the way to Demonbreun and work off the new hotel similar to the way that Bridgestone revamped the rear entrance to work off the MCC? That would do wonders for the museum, the hotel, and that entrance to downtown.

I love this idea!

• 2 months later...

At SoBro site, Turnberry promises to 'set a standard Nashville has never seen before'

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/06/at-sobro-site-turnberry-promises-to-set-a-standard.html

Man!! I hope this is really happening,

I always get my hopes up for major city changing delvopments that never even get out of the ground,

I'm being hopefull :-) !!!

• Like 2

It seems like the "high standard" they are speaking of is of the high-end level of tenants they plan to bring.

When I first read the article title, I was thinking more about building design. I was hopeing for some awesome building announcement like limestone exterior and freaking gargoyles and such! I guess that's a hint of the fantasy land that I live in. Haha.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

They need to start the marketing of the condos now, in order to get both out of the ground at the same time as the article states. At this point they just have a contract to buy and the sale has not gone through.

William and I were talking yesterday about the Baptist site and we feel that it may have been a blessing another owner will have a shot at the property. Not to be harsh to Tony, he has a whole lot on his plate and would have been difficult to start.

With all of that being said, there could be a lot of construction at this location next year, with Turnberry, the Baptist location and Westin. It will be very exciting to see how this plays out.

• Like 3

William has confirmed in a Post article that Turnberry is going to build two buildings on the site. They are going to try and work with Metro historic concerning the two older buildings. There are no promises as they are not on the register of historic places, but they may try and incorporate the structures into the new development.

The article is behind the paywall right now.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/7/25/developer_plans_two_towers_for_sobro_site

• Like 4