JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

I figured it was time to start a thread on this big boy.

Turnberry is under contract to buy the United Meth. Publishing site at 8th & Demonbreun.

An article in the Post today http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/15/florida_company_eyes_300m_project_for_key_sobro_site

States the project will be 300 million and to include condos and a hotel component. Pre sales to start in 2015 and construction to begin in 2016.

• Like 1

Has this not been discussed? Last year there was speculation about condos when the original plan was an arts and music school with performance venues, apartments,  and condos. Great news, but I thought this had been discussed.

No real surprise here. Good news just the same, but I'll reserve excitement  when we see cranes. I am still disappointed we have not seen the Sobro after 2 1/2 years. We never got the Medical Mart. The Northpoint Hospitality twin tower project is delayed. No rendering yet for the Westin.  No WES. Tony's Marriott is in doubt. No Sheet Music. No Signature Tower. No 505CST.  The list  goes  on and on and on.

I am getting too old! I am turning 51 this summer. I am tired of empty promises. I am fast losing interest in this stuff.  LIfe is too short for wishing for things I have no control over. Most of the projects have not materialized. I am beginning to feel like sports fans who always say their team will be great next year. Next year comes, and it is the same thing...well maybe next year...the next year comes....well maybe next year.....

Sorry for the rant, but at least we have Childress Klein and Gulch Crossings. I am still waiting on this supposed "Boom" we are supposed to have.

I would like to see at least one major project start instead of what is likely empty promises.

Edited by Urban Architecture

while we haven't gotten every project out of the ground, nashville's come a long way in a short period of time

it's better to be appreciative for the progress we've experienced, instead of negative about every thing that hasn't played out in the exact manner that one's mind dictates

excited for the potential!

Has this not been discussed? Last year there was speculation about condos when the original plan was an arts and music school with performance venues, apartments,  and condos. Great news, but I thought this had been discussed.

No real surprise here. Good news just the same, but I'll reserve excitement  when we see cranes. I am still disappointed we have not seen the Sobro after 2 1/2 years. We never got the Medical Mart. The Northpoint Hospitality twin tower project is delayed. No rendering yet for the Westin.  No WES. Tony's Marriott is in doubt. No Sheet Music. No Signature Tower. No 505CST.  The list  goes  on and on and on.

I am getting too old! I am turning 51 this summer. I am tired of empty promises. I am fast losing interest in this stuff.  LIfe is too short for wishing for things I have no control over. Most of the projects have not materialized. I am beginning to feel like sports fans who always say their team will be great next year. Next year comes, and it is the same thing...well maybe next year...the next year comes....well maybe next year.....

Sorry for the rant, but at least we have Childress Klein and Gulch Crossings. I am still waiting on this supposed "Boom" we are supposed to have.

I would like to see at least one major project start instead of what is likely empty promises.

• Like 2

while we haven't gotten every project out of the ground, nashville's come a long way in a short period of time

it's better to be appreciative for the progress we've experienced, instead of negative about every thing that hasn't played out in the exact manner that one's mind dictates

excited for the potential!

I agree, I just don't get excited anymore until I see evidence something is happening. Nashville has come along way from our building boom in the 1980's when we got a new tower every 2 years or so. We got new towers in 1974, 1975, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1994, 1998, 2005 and then the boom happened again. I am just cautiously optimistic. There is no negativity in being cautious.

I think that was a totally different entity.  Forgot where they ended up going, saying they needed more land (?).  I thought Turnberry had original plans to buy all the plots (or most) and then were going to sell it to a hotel development, such as a Westin(?).  Anyways, it seems "a lot" has gone on with this site.  If I have time, I will lokk it up again!  Getting "old" too.

Anyways, hope something really nice goes here (a large retail, mixed use concept).  I think this area (if I am remembering correctly, need to look up a map of Nashville again too; getting old!) is very valuable in terms of redevelopment.  A "large" swath of land at a very "visible" and "important" corner.  I do hope some of the older buildings can be incorporated into the design. 

I think that was a totally different entity.  Forgot where they ended up going, saying they needed more land (?).  I thought Turnberry had original plans to buy all the plots (or most) and then were going to sell it to a hotel development, such as a Westin(?).  Anyways, it seems "a lot" has gone on with this site.  If I have time, I will lokk it up again!  Getting "old" too.

Anyways, hope something really nice goes here (a large retail, mixed use concept).  I think this area (if I am remembering correctly, need to look up a map of Nashville again too; getting old!) is very valuable in terms of redevelopment.  A "large" swath of land at a very "visible" and "important" corner.  I do hope some of the older buildings can be incorporated into the design.

John,

Tim is correct. The first project was the Pantheon project. The second was the group out of Texas that had the property under contract and backed out. This is the Turnberry group that has the Hilton and the Union Station downtown. The property went under contract last week or week before and was reported by the Tennessean. The above information was in the Miami Herold and found by Geert at the Post.

This might be wishful thinking on my part and coming out of left field, but I think high-end shops/retailers would do incredibly well in this area. Plus, according to the article in the Miami Herald, this is something Turnberry has already had a hand in (i.e. Aventura)If this could be incorporated into the plans of this proposed building somehow, I feel like you'd have a gold mine. It would really do a lot for this area. Again, this might be completely unfeasible and far-fetched.

From the Herald Article, the Turnberry/Soffers are major players who get things done. This is their first venture outside Florida so they must see something in Nashville that we don't. 

This could be one of the most exciting private proposals to hit town since the Signature Tower. We should know more when they start taking applications on condos next year.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

I would love to see a professional rendering of what the skyline would look like if all of those buildings were built.

If Nashville is good at one thing, it is making me excited for the future. With each new proposal I think, maybe this is the one that actually happens.