JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

22 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

^

My fellow Cummins resident has roof access... Hmm... :camera:

Had.... perks of having to wear a harness and be tethered to the building lol. Just trying to take advantage of the opportunities.

20 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

And I may know why.....

And it was  well before I did, I'm sure lol

22 hours ago, CenterHill said:

I hadn't noticed the small structure going up in the JWM public space.     What is that going to be?  

No idea. A smaller scale structure in in some of the renderings, but I couldn't find a description for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on J-Dub Park:

While running by there this morning, I noticed that they're almost finished with the Astroturf, the construction fence is coming down, and there's a large trellis covering the front wall of the shed with plants in the ground in front of it.

I don't carry my phone when running so I have no pic to share.  Perhaps @Bos2Nash can give us an updated picture.

image.png.cef9c2b1bdfbc5ea083f632244fbc4e2.png

I can't wait for the two floor addition to Cummins.  About fifteen years ago I used to go to an Architecture firm based in Atlanta there.  Now I can't remember the name of the firm and don't have a clue if they are still there.  I love that building.

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 1

Back then the architecture firms we did a lot of work for was in the Cummins Station, Earl Swanson in the Lowes building, there was another firm in an old Church build in Sobro and a one stop shop in Nashville City Center.  Just thinking about my ICT days.  Maybe y'all can connect the dots and help me remember who was who?

Edited by L'burgnative

27 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

Back then the architecture firms we did a lot of work for was in the Cummins Station, Earl Swanson in the Lowes building, there was another firm in an old Church build in Sobro and a one stop shop in Nashville City Center.  Just thinking about my ICT days.  Maybe y'all can connect the dots and help me remember who was who?

Smith Gee Studio is in Cummins Station, as well as OHM (but they have only been there a few years). Earl Swensson Associates moved from Loews Vanderbilt Plaza to Gulch Crossings. EOA Architects was formerly in the St. Paul AME Church at the corner of KVB and 4th, it is now an event space. Gresham Smith was in Nashville City Center but have now relocated to 222 Second Avenue.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Smith Gee Studio is in Cummins Station, as well as OHM (but they have only been there a few years). Earl Swensson Associates moved from Loews Vanderbilt Plaza to Gulch Crossings. EOA Architects was formerly in the St. Paul AME Church at the corner of KVB and 4th, it is now an event space. Gresham Smith was in Nashville City Center but have now relocated to 222 Second Avenue.

Thanks; great blast from the past and great update there!  Smith Gee Studio does not ring a bell.  Any chance they were called something else then?  They had a small studio on the third or fourth floor of Cummins Station in about 2000-2003 time period.

Edited by L'burgnative

21 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Update on J-Dub Park:

While running by there this morning, I noticed that they're almost finished with the Astroturf, the construction fence is coming down, and there's a large trellis covering the front wall of the shed with plants in the ground in front of it.

I don't carry my phone when running so I have no pic to share.  Perhaps @Bos2Nash can give us an updated picture.

Apologies, I meant to grab a pic prior to leaving for the holidays. I won’t be back in town till after the New Years unfortunately. Hopefully someone will post one prior to that

19 hours ago, L'burgnative said:

Thanks; great blast from the past and great update there!  Smith Gee Studio does not ring a bell.  Any chance they were called something else then?  They had a small studio on the third or fourth floor of Cummins Station in about 2000-2003 time period.

Sorci and Swords I believe used to be in Cummins as well. Not sure on time frame though.  

• 2 weeks later...

From earlier postings, this park will be for hotel guests only, but I can't see how they will enforce this?  I would expect the main park entrance to be a secure door from the hotel.  It's possible that they put a nice fence between the public sidewalk and the hotel's outdoor features (binary column and this park), though they would probably still want the public to get to the coffee shop.

2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

From earlier postings, this park will be for hotel guests only, but I can't see how they will enforce this?  I would expect the main park entrance to be a secure door from the hotel.  It's possible that they put a nice fence between the public sidewalk and the hotel's outdoor features (binary column and this park), though they would probably still want the public to get to the coffee shop.

Not sure if a nice fence will go up, but the rendering does show a fence.

538661376_ScreenShot2018-10-04at5_13_30P

31 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

What's the point of the artificial turf in a small park setting like this? Does it really save that much money on mowing and maintenance costs?

Nashville's climate is not good for warm weather grasses or cool weather grasses.  It can be quite difficult to keep grass healthy, especially when it gets too much sun (that's where bermuda starts growing but it looks ugly in the cooler months) or too much shade (that's where some people give up and grow a ground cover like monkey grass).  Add the heavy traffic of a small urban park like this and artificial turf is much cheaper than fighting to keep grass healthy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ Especially since this private park is a short-term fix for that lot.  Hopefully in less than 5 years we will see another tower rising there.  The developers behind the JW Marriott have stated that is their long-term plan, and that it might come sooner rather than later.    : )

You heard it here first, they will build first 6 story Chuck-E-Cheese in downtown soon. Ownership will be 50/50 between Chuck and Dolly Parton. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1