JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

JW is what people expect when you go to a luxury hotel the Westin you can see the curtains from the outside of the hotel looks like lack of privacy. JW's tinted glass is beautiful and totally integrated with the building

Just now, CenterHill said:

Love those pixels.  :rolleyes:

They could have kept the pixels just made the building more sleek

2 hours ago, chris holman said:

Its amazing how dated the Westin already looks next to JW , if Westin would have went modern with some curves shapes both  buildings would have complemented each other.

Seriously!!! It looked dated standing by itself, but with the JW popping up it looks even worse!!! It would be interesting asking people to guess when a building was built and see what they said about it

• Like 1

Just looked in on the WKRN cam from ASC. With the forthcoming crown of 3 (tall floors), put above the current top floor (with the balcony), I can't help being convinced that this one will be over 400'. I realize it's on a hill and can't be compared to B'stone. But looking at the Westin next door, I'd expect the JWM to be at least 80' taller.  So who verified the 385' height for this one?  And how accurate is the 320' for Westin?  I do believe that one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Just looked in on the WKRN cam from ASC. With the forthcoming crown of 3 (tall floors), put above the current top floor (with the balcony), I can't help being convinced that this one will be over 400'. I realize it's on a hill and can't be compared to B'stone. But looking at the Westin next door, I'd expect the JWM to be at least 80' taller.  So who verified the 385' height for this one?  And how accurate is the 320' for Westin?  I do believe that one.

Driving on the east side of south loop it completely dwarfs the Westin already. I agree, I either think this will be taller than expected, or the Westin is shorter than listed. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I've been trying to tell ya! ;) 400+

• Like 3

I don't see any metal reinforcement rods sticking up through the 35th floor. You normally see those when an additional floor is going to be added. I also recall that one of their representatives once said that it was to be a 35 story building, which is what it is now. Anyone have any inside information?

2 hours ago, archilove said:

I don't see any metal reinforcement rods sticking up through the 35th floor. You normally see those when an additional floor is going to be added. I also recall that one of their representatives once said that it was to be a 35 story building, which is what it is now. Anyone have any inside information?

Ok...let's see if we can make sense of this from this previous render.

It almost appears that the floor just below the restaurant level is a bit taller than the other floors...so let's say that is the floor below the last floor seen in the construction image.  The last "completed" floor is the much taller floor...so let's say that is the restaurant floor.  Now...looking at the construction image, let's say everything above what is now "completed" will be the crown wall, shown above the restaurant and appearing to be about 3 floors tall in the render.  Can they build that without the reinforcement rods?  If not, I'm not sure what's going on other than the render is incorrect.

Screenshot_20170513-205339.thumb.jpg.befa05e056b2d93aef8513ac1611ea0b.jpg.7db13de14d25d271d53f2812bb13cc63.jpg

Photo by Markhollin

59b7d82b28e7e_JWMarriott6Sept102017.thumb.jpg.e3b7f3bdbcc433571e3be36fbcac3893.jpg

• Like 3

Ok...let's see if we can make sense of this from this previous render.

It almost appears that the floor just below the restaurant level is a bit taller than the other floors...so let's say that is the floor below the last floor seen in the construction image.  The last "completed" floor is the much taller floor...so let's say that is the restaurant floor.  Now...looking at the construction image, let's say everything above what is now "completed" will be the crown wall, shown above the restaurant and appearing to be about 3 floors tall in the render.  Can they build that without the reinforcement rods?  If not, I'm not sure what's going on other than the render is incorrect.

Screenshot_20170513-205339.thumb.jpg.befa05e056b2d93aef8513ac1611ea0b.jpg.7db13de14d25d271d53f2812bb13cc63.jpg&key=1fbb4a91d75f87bf947f6f5754ac10223dc2a425ddf77707e7f3a71ba7579ac6

Photo by Markhollin

59b7d82b28e7e_JWMarriott6Sept102017.thumb.jpg.e3b7f3bdbcc433571e3be36fbcac3893.thumb.jpg.73d8271be8ab8973382e5b9007ace0c3.jpg&key=cbc09f07f4e89abe9346ada8423f7cb417dc7e68f07b2bc69788ded51925a220

If you look closely at both the rendering and current construction photos, you will notice that the top two levels are both taller/higher than all previous levels (with the very top level being currently the tallest of course.) This leads me to believe that the top level currently under construction is the restaurant level. This would mean that there are still three floors worth of height to be built on top as the crown. This would also mean that the final height of the tower would be near the tip-top of the crane. Correct me if I am mistaken; for someone who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dReAmWiELdEr said:

If you look closely at both the rendering and current construction photos, you will notice that the top two levels are both taller/higher than all previous levels (with the very top level being currently the tallest of course.) This leads me to believe that the top level currently under construction is the restaurant level. This would mean that there are still three floors worth of height to be built on top as the crown.

I think you're right.    My guess is that the two floor plates that don't have poured concrete all the way to the northern wall (ie, the left edge in the above photo) will each have steel superstructure extensions that form the restaurant level balcony and canopy.     Then the enclosed mechanical level will be on top of that.     

• Like 2

I worked for 30 years in the building that preceded the Marriott on this site.  So,  if they follow the architectural rendering, it looks like there will be a balcony and three more floors, making 38. That plus being situated on high ground will make the Marriott prominent in the skyline. I like the building, but now I feel like we've built our share of glass buildings, so could we have some other material.

• Like 3