JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

On 9/27/2017 at 11:11 AM, NashvilleObserver said:

I noticed that large beam sticking out yesterday. They're starting the top-floor balcony!

Yes, the steel structure for the restaurant balcony is being assembled.    

I spotted a flag and tree on top yesterday, which would indicate the last poured floor has been completed.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Beautiful building!! Would you say that when the crown is built, it will be at the level of the crane cab, or higher?

Renderings show three sections, or "floors" of glass, rising past the top floor, each of these sections being taller than the average hotel floor. So yes, it will most likely reach at least to the bottom of the crane cab.

• Like 2

Okay... I don't mean to be a jerk or a stickler here, but where are you guys getting this "five star" information?  I see people throw that term around in reference to establishments all over the world, and it almost never seems to be based on anything.  There are several different ratings systems throughout the world, but to my knowledge, the term "five star hotel" as we know it and use it today comes from the Mobil/Forbes travel guide, which has been making travel guides for countries around the world since 1958 and is seen, at least in this country, as the standard bearer for hotel ratings based on a variety of criteria, similar to how the Michelin Travel Guide is seen as the standard bearer for rating restaurants.  It isn't something that is predetermined or that a hotel is built to be.  It is a prize to be won.  In other words, the Forbes Travel Guide has to actually review a hotel and award it five stars in order for it to be able to claim that it is an actual "five star hotel."

It is a fairly exclusive club.  Here is a link to their 2017 four and five star award winners: http://www.forbestravelguide.com/about/awardwinners.  As you can see, the only five star hotel in the state of Tennessee is Nashville's Hermitage Hotel.  I'm not sure what jmtunafish is basing his list off of, but according to the above link, none of the hotels he listed are five star hotels, and only a couple of them are even considered four star.  JW Marriotts typically aren't seen as an upper echelon luxury hotel.  And again, I'm sorry if I come across snooty, because that isn't my intention.  Trust me, I am not rich or fancy enough to stay in any five star establishment.  It's just a common misconception that I see fairly often, and I like to set the record straight.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

^^There are so many rating services around the world with no world-wide accepted #1 service...so I'm sure these hotels go by a loosely accepted list of amenities that qualify as 5 star to call themselves 5 star.  Heck...aren't there a couple of hotels that list themselves as 7 star hotels with a butler for each room?

The Mobil / Forbes seems to be the oldest that is most widely accepted...but nowadays, not the only one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^There are so many rating services around the world with no world-wide accepted #1 service...so I'm sure these hotels go by a loosely accepted list of amenities that qualify as 5 star to call themselves 5 star.  Heck...aren't there a couple of hotels that list themselves as 7 star hotels with a butler for each room?

The Mobil / Forbes seems to be the oldest that is most widely accepted...but nowadays, not the only one.

I'm sure you're right... I don't doubt that hotel companies are very eager to  label as many of their own properties "five star" as  appears believable... or in some cases, countries produce a ratings system based on their own criteria.  But I'm just saying, the "five star" label itself and the criteria for achieving that label have very specific origins.  If you change the criteria and the source you might as well not even call it "five star" because the source and the criteria are still around and still considered the standard bearer by most.  The chef at Applebee's can believe he's running a Three Michelin Star kitchen all he wants... the producers of Big Dumb Pranks 8 can believe they're producing an Oscar winning film... I can believing I'm writing Pulitzer Prize caliber material right now... doesn't make it so... except that last one.  lol ;)  That's all I mean to say.  

Edited by BnaBreaker

13 minutes ago, FrankNash said:

To be clear it's AAA 1 - 5 diamond awards and Michelin 1-3 star awards.  

Yep, those are prominent ones too... man I remember reading through all of my grandpa's AAA guides back in the day and just being fascinated by them for some reason.  As for the Michelin guides, I don't really know how it became this way, but the Michelin guides are kind of seen as the top of the mark for restaurants, while the Mobil/Forbes star system is, as far as I know, still seen as the top of the mark for hotels... maybe it's just because they are the oldest and most stingy about doling out the five star rating?  I'm not sure.  

• Like 1