JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, mirydi said:

Interesting for sure. The scaffolding appears to be right where each of the existing stanchions are, so this is still pretty encouraging. Not sure what else the scaffolding would be for other than prepping for the next level of the crown. 

By the way, thanks for the pics Mark!

I partially think the scaffolding might be there for location/installation of mechanical equipment on top of the existing concrete structure/mechanical penthouse and after installation it will be removed. I just can't think of a reason why additional steel and spandrel glass would be installed without a functioning purpose (just the boring, practical part of my mind thinking out loud). 

With that being said, I'm hoping that they are adding another level - this thing looks great and will look even better with an additional 15 to 20 feet in height. 

The construction elevator has also disappeared. Fingers crossed on a little more height, but I can see what looks like a cable hanging down the side of the building in the picture which looks like it may be hanging from one of those. The scaffolding could be there to raise the JW Marriot signs. I did some looking back at past renderings and there is one small ring of glass with three bigger rings of glass above the balcony on one of the rendering way back in the thread. From those pics from today there is no small ring of glass but there are three rings of glass above the balcony today so I think that is it on the height.

19BB76C9-8C21-4118-AB3E-C46B527DAB5A.jpeg

Edited by Buildtall

I can see what you mean about the three rings. The current result definitely does not match the rendering.  The sign in the rendering looks to be the same size as the balcony area. If this is the final height, I’d hope that the sign will be a bit smaller or it’ll look odd in my opinion. 

74FD6159-22CD-42A9-8606-F006A38EFB51.jpeg

4 hours ago, TNinVB said:

I can see what you mean about the three rings. The current result definitely does not match the rendering.  The sign in the rendering looks to be the same size as the balcony area. If this is the final height, I’d hope that the sign will be a bit smaller or it’ll look odd in my opinion. 

Agreed... is it going to be in the middle section of the top three? Or will it be larger and overlap? If they still plan to do very large letters, the view would be obscured in some places by the balcony. 

7 hours ago, archilove said:

The framework sticking up on top of the building is about the same width as the letters in the rendering. Could it be a support for them? Maybe there is going to be something there in addition to the letters. They have already departed from the rendering, so anything goes.

They've decided to place "Stix" up on top of the JW Marriott and place a huge fountain in the roundabout. ;):D

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Demonbreun is shut down next to the JWM and a crane seems to be going up. Is that for removing the JWM tower crane? 

Yep, it's the size and type they use to assemble and disassemble this big guys. Probably be closed all weekend so the tower crane can lower itself some to eventually be broken up by the other crane.

• Like 1

Such a sleek looking building even if the crown is shorter. You can see the cables hanging over the side from the scaffolding.  It looks like the sign is going to be in a different location from what the renderings depict. I personnaly thing it would look better towards the back instead of over the balcony since the crown is shorter. Won’t look so cluttered if the letters are still as large as the rendering.  Also, if you zoom in, you can see what appears to be cladding underneath and above the balcony. It looks to be covered in a yellow protective wrap. 

Edited by TNinVB

43 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Thanks for posting the pics LA_TN. Looks like the balcony has changed a bit as well. The windows look like they are going to pertrude all the way out now instead of an open air balcony like the rendering depicts. 

Could that be a liability thing? Hell, maybe that’s why Westin cheapo’d their design, so they could spend more money on insurance for the open air bar and pool of death. 

Just spitballing, was really looking forward to enjoying the view from that balcony one day.