JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

Yeah, as long as this is only temporary, then whatever, but if a private park surrounded by a blank wall that can only be used by 1,000-ish paying customers on any given day is their long term plan for this primest or prime lots, then yeah, like everyone else, I have a big problem with that.

• Like 2

Yeah. 

I prefer an office building, or another hotel,  but more concerned about the vacant parking lots south of MCC remaining vacant than I am about this parking lot. 

I thought this parking lot was going to remain a parking lot for at least 5 more years, so this is nice to see. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

It is 'better than a parking lot' is the best I can say about the plan.

That would have probably been the alternative. I sat in on the MDHA meeting when they were working on the design of the JW. I think the park will be more short term than long term and will be developed at some point.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

A private green space is being eyed for a parcel sitting adjacent to the soon-to-open JW Marriott Hotel. Turnberry Associates will go before MDHA Design Review Committee Tuesday, April 3, to seek site plan approval for the space, which will just be usable by hotel patrons. The fenced park will include a dog run, event lawn, restrooms and an entry plaza, and a blank wall that is part of the hotel will be given a mural.

My guess is that this will be a temporary usage of the lot until Turnberry decides to develop the valuable site for either an extension of the current hotel, or some other high end possibility.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20999148/sobro-jw-marriott-site-to-include-private-green-space

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.43.47 PM.png

I like the involvement of the green space. It actually infuriates me that this is a patron only space though! I know that it is privately owned land the hotel would want to designate it for themselves, but this would be a great space for workers from the surrounding offices to use on nice days, and a great viewing spot for downtown. 

This would be a perfect spot for some thing similar to what Boston has called "Lawn on D", It's on convention center owned land, but has a beer tent, music venue, nifty cool swings, cornhole and other lawn style games. Its a tiny portion of land that is a MASSIVE hit in Boston. Turnberry could definitely bring in a good amount of money with it. Even if it is only temporary.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Is that frame temporary?

49DA4AD7-F26E-4434-8A95-B4733472667F.jpeg

It might be what’s going to hold the exterior glass. Maybe they’re going to have a walkway around the outer part of this, between the restaurant and the outer glass, which will serve as kind of an observation deck. It’ll be interesting to see what their final plans are for that restaurant.