JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

Here is the NBJ article with a little bit more detail regarding the project

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/11/turnberry-to-build-35-story-luxury-marriott-hotel.html

A few interesting points from the article:

The JW Marriott will include two fine-dining restaurants that are new to Nashville; Soffer declined to reveal those tenants. One restaurant will be located on that top 35th floor of the hotel tower.

Soffer said Turnberry neither needs nor wants such aid, which is called tax-increment financing, abbreviated as TIF.

At 35 stories, the JW Marriott will be the tallest building in Nashville — two stories taller than the iconic AT&T tower, also called the Batman Building for its twin spires that resemble the comic-book hero's mask

Here is the NBJ article with a little bit more detail regarding the project

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/11/turnberry-to-build-35-story-luxury-marriott-hotel.html

A few interesting points from the article:

The JW Marriott will include two fine-dining restaurants that are new to Nashville; Soffer declined to reveal those tenants. One restaurant will be located on that top 35th floor of the hotel tower.

Soffer said Turnberry neither needs nor wants such aid, which is called tax-increment financing, abbreviated as TIF.

At 35 stories, the JW Marriott will be the tallest building in Nashville — two stories taller than the iconic AT&T tower, also called the Batman Building for its twin spires that resemble the comic-book hero's mask

Well...the number of stories doesn't always equal the "tallest"...but let's hope that's true in this case.  Would be incredible if this hit 600'+!

• Like 2

Here is the link to the architect.

http://arquitectonica.com/blog/portfolio/office/arquitectonica-headquarters/

After talking to William today after the meeting, we think the JW will be in excess of 450, maybe 500 feet or even taller. If you look at the office tower, it is 25 stories, so that would be a minimum of 300 to 350 feet. We are going to get some height out of these for sure.

Looks like they pulled from http://arquitectonica.com/blog/portfolio/office/torre-begonias/ a little bit for our design.

I used to know one of Omni's architects rather well.  For about a year I played tennis with this guy every Saturday morning out at the Maryland Farms Y before he moved back to Texas.  I remember a conversation I had with him one day when Omni was just getting their hotel out of the ground.  It went something like this:  With the city practically begging you guys to build a bigger hotel, why aren't you?

I was expecting something about the financial crisis, and too much risk associated with the convention business etc., which would have made plenty of sense.  To my surprise what he said went something like this:  This isn't Dallas, this is little ole Nasville, TN. We're not going to build a thousand room hotel here.

Needless to say, I really enjoy sending him email with the news of luxury hotel development in little ole Nashville, TN. 

• Like 1

And yet, if you count the floors in the rendering, it appears to be 38-40.  So who knows?   I have learned that journos are not really meticulous when it comes to floor count. And also with hotels, sometimes we'll see the number of floors of the tower given... but not counting the base... or even the floor that houses the power and hvac units.  So they'll just say 25-floor tower of rooms.  That may not count the additional floor for the power plant and the 3-4 level base. Remember when the Omni was announced as a 22-story tower?   It turned out to be 25-stories.  We'll just have to wait and see!!!

Edited by MLBrumby

And doesn't this property sit on a hill?  Won't it appear taller?

This is practically the highest point in all of downtown Nashville... Will be a fantastic addition to the skyline, for sure.

I can't say where my desk will be located in a year's time, but I currently sit in Cummins Station facing this site directly and will be thrilled to watch it go up. Hopefully my view will be at least as good then!

• Like 1

oh, for some reason I thought the westin was on another corner of the roundabout. closer to the Turnberry.

You are correct.  That would not be the Westin.  Whatever building that is to the left is along KVB.  The rendering is looking at the MCC and the Turnberry development from across Demonbreun. 

Sooo...Does anybody think this project might scare away the developers of the Westin or Hyatt Regency? They might take a look at this and throw in the towel...Lol!  Seriously...

I agree!  I can't believe that we have not heard more about the Westin considering it is supposed to break ground soon.  Some nice professional looking renderings like what we saw today would be nice.  That entire section of SoBro is going to look radically different in a few years.  I would love to be the person who owns the parking lot across the street from where this is going to be built.  Can you say hot property value???