JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

Hard to believe that Westin and others would cancel just because they felt outclassed by the architecture of this project.

I was thinking more along the lines of over-saturation. That's three major hotels proposed right next door to each other. I'm sure the developers of the Westin and Hyatt were expecting a medium sized hotel, maybe around 300-400 rooms. Not a 500-600 room behemoth that towers above their hotels and leaves them in it's shadow. I'm just saying, that's a lot of hotels to come on-line all at once. I'm sure this announcement is leaving an uneasy feeling in the pit of the stomach of the developers of the Westin and Hyatt. I don't see how it wouldn't. It wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of the developers abandon their plans.

As far as design goes...Which one would you rather stay at? Turnberry's JW Marriott, if built as is, will be THE hotel in Nashville. No question...Knowing that thing is fixing to be built right next door is definitely discouraging, is it not? 

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 1

I was thinking more along the lines of over-saturation. That's three major hotels proposed right next door to each other. I'm sure the developers of the Westin and Hyatt were expecting a medium sized hotel, maybe around 300-400 rooms. Not a 500-600 room behemoth that towers above their hotels and leaves them in it's shadow. I'm just saying, that's a lot of hotels to come on-line all at once. I'm sure this announcement is leaving an uneasy feeling in the pit of the stomach of the developers of the Westin and Hyatt. I don't see how it wouldn't. It would not surprise me to see at least one of the developers to abandon their plans.

As far as design goes...Which one would you rather stay at? Turnberry's JW Marriott, if built as is, will be THE hotel in Nashville. No question...Knowing that thing is fixing to be built right next door to your hotel your fixing to build is definitely discouraging, is it not? 

Well...if you had a design like Westin, that would be worth "re-visiting."  I think they'll get a lot of business, just being next to the MCC...but yes, they won't be the first choice unless you are a Westin regular.

I remember thinking a few years ago about how visually interesting the MCC rooftop is, but yet nobody would ever see it. The guitar motif, for example, is most evident from above.

I'm glad that's changing now!

Edited by Vrtigo

I know someone brought this up, but as I count floors in the rendering the floor that extrudes out is floor 39 and there appears to be two more occupied floors above that with a tall brim I'm guessing are for utilities that looks to be the height of 2-3 floors.  With 12'-9"  slab to slab I'm guessing 560' to 570'

Edited by L'burgnative

This project is a game changer for Sure!Stunning architecture,dominant presents, in the area that's what I've always hope nashville would have built,

I just hope that there no restriction or height reduction or architecture redesign

I pray this doesn't happen, Nashville has lost a lot of opportunities and great projects that shot down because of this,and I just hope everything gets approved with the Current design with no problems!!

Shhhhh... don't say that out loud.  Someone might here you... and we all know Nashville is scared of height.

Oh yeah; I mean 35 floors at 10' per should be 350'.

1gjdAX7.gif

Btw; since this site is not letting you quote, copy/paste or attaching links or images this post took up a lot of my time, and it's still not right.

Edited by L'burgnative

I respect Betsy's written opinion on a lot of subjects, but she's not exactly someone we should be looking to for design opinions. Besides, I think the taller tower is more reminiscent of a cigarette lighter than a deodorant stick...a really, bad-ass cigarette lighter.

I think it looks reminiscent of something from the Jetsons' cartoons...which is awesome!