JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

I know someone brought this up, but as I count floors in the rendering the floor that extrudes out is floor 39 and there appears to be two more occupied floors above that with a tall brim I'm guessing are for utilities that looks to be the height of 2-3 floors.  With 12'-9"  slab to slab I'm guessing 560' to 570'

If we are lucky, but 35 stories is 350-375 feet in Nashville. 25 stories is 250-300

If we are lucky, but 35 stories is 350-375 feet in Nashville. 25 stories is 250-300

I realize Hotel and residenial is different then commerial and office, but I think this will depend on the floor plan.  If all rooms are on an exterior wall then yes it could be 350-375 with 10' slab to slab.  If there are rooms in the middle with no exterior walls than it will probably be a 12'-9" slab to slab. HVAC, lighting, power, plumbing and fire protection has to go somewhere.  Ductless units in the exterior wall in each room or large air handlers in a penthouse on the roof with ductwork in the cooridor ceilings, VAV box and thremostat per room.  Ductless units have come a long way since my draftings days at a certain engineering firm in Nashville; honestly my experience was mostly commerial and office and I could be wrong with HVAC in a Hotel but you have to heat cool all rooms somehow.  I could be wrong (it's been a while now) but used to you needed an exterior wall for ductless units.  One of the going jokes when I worked there:  What's the difference in an Architect and an Engineer? Architect's don't care if it works as long as it looks good, and Engineer's don't care if it looks good as long as it works.

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 2

For residential, maybe.

Every 30+ story office tower in Nashville is north of 400 ft, and two more are just less than 30 stories and are still over 400 ft.

If the average office floor is somewhere around 14', then this building would be 420' without the fins. So the earlier estimate of 450-460 seems about right.

Even if the floors were 12' (which seems sort of rare with new tower construction), then you're still looking at around 400 with the fins.

For residential, maybe.

Every 30+ story office tower in Nashville is north of 400 ft, and two more are just less than 30 stories and are still over 400 ft.

If the average office floor is somewhere around 14', then this building would be 420' without the fins. So the earlier estimate of 450-460 seems about right.

Even if the floors were 12' (which seems sort of rare with new tower construction), then you're still looking at around 400 with the fins.

Nevermind. Clicked the wrong thread. I thought this was about the Bridgstone HQ. Too much going on!

As for the JW Marriott, I think at 35 and with that design, it will be over 400'. Maybe not by much, but I think it will crack that mark. At 25 stories, I would expect the office tower to be 300-350.

^There seems to be a significant difference in height between the office tower and the hotel. If the office tower is 300'-350', I'd say the hotel is probably around 500'. It has 35 floors on top of what looks to be a 4-5 story base, plus and additional floor or two above the restaurant (I presume that's what that is towards the top). This thing looks to be between 40-42 stories to me. 

One thing is certain...the 25 story spec office building will have to be close to 300'...if not more, just based on office floor heights.  Then...looking at the rendering, it's easy to see the hotel is designed to be quite a bit taller than the office tower.  So...it would seem to be at least 400'...if not 500'.

I think hotel floor-to-ceiling heights are all over the place these days, 9' to 13' or more.

Agree.  Typical new hotel construction, floor-to-ceiling, is usually somewhere between 9'6" all the way up to 12' depending on the desired star rating and brand standards.  

This can also depend on the type of flooring and ceilings you see installed, as some warm-climate and beach destinations that may include a luxurious tile or marbled floor, for instance, would require more slab-to-slab space due to the required thickness of that flooring install.    

They've actually built in Las Vegas too.

Agree.  Typical new hotel construction, floor-to-ceiling, is usually somewhere between 9'6" all the way up to 12' depending on the desired star rating and brand standards.  

This can also depend on the type of flooring and ceilings you see installed, as some warm-climate and beach destinations that may include a luxurious tile or marbled floor, for instance, would require more slab-to-slab space due to the required thickness of that flooring install.    

Factor in height of lobby and ornamental top as well.

2 points about the JW Marriott Austin -

1) That is the exact design that they were going to put into Nashville

2) Glad we waiting for the Turnberry design - heads and shoulders above the Austin JW IMO

153037303.jpg