Fountains at Greenville Apts. : Broad St at Church St. Bridge

vicupstate

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like how far back they have pulled the building back from Church Street. There has to be a better way to keep this more in line with McBee Station apartments or a distance similar to the Elliott Davis building. The setback alone should be enough to deny this proposal.

That's exactly why I want it closer to the bridge. If it is demolished, then we have a huge setback with no option for developing a street presence on Church. Demolition can happen in tight quarters, see the parking garage demo at Richardson and Washington. I'm not asking for it to hug the bridge. It's property line would still keep it 25' off the roadway. There's no need to double that distance.

Doesn't seem too realistic that the bridge will come down anytime soon.  I'd be more concerned that the main view you see of this coming uphill on Church St is mostly the parking garage.  Hopefully the appearance of that could be enhanced to be something more than just precast concrete panels.

The Elliott Avis building is as far from the bridge as possible too.  There is nothing preventing something being built within the 25' you are talking about, if the bridge is demolished.  The bridge is already 51 years old. I don't think it is unrealistic to think it won't last another 50.  

The Elliott Davis building is much closer to the bridge than this proposed building. If they built up to the dotted line on their site plan, they would still maintain the same distance from the bridge as ED, AND obtain a greater presence today and down the road. We will just have to agree to disagree on the best siting for a building on this land. However I agree with others that the garage design is working against their proposal. If the DRB gave the Rivers Edge garage fits during its approval process, they will not let this one simply pass by.

Doesn't seem too realistic that the bridge will come down anytime soon. I'd be more concerned that the main view you see of this coming uphill on Church St is mostly the parking garage. Hopefully the appearance of that could be enhanced to be something more than just precast concrete panels.

I agree with this. It's not the distance from the Church Street bridge I would care to see changed or am worried about but rather the parking garage design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still don't like the 57'+ setback from their west property line. Otherwise it is a nice looking building.

I think both developments (the bank and this) are designing under the assumption the Church street bridge will be replaced. They are giving enough space for whenever that is done. 

I think both developments (the bank and this) are designing under the assumption the Church street bridge will be replaced. They are giving enough space for whenever that is done.

That is what the right of way is for and becomes the state DOT's problem, not private property owners.

Their site plan shows that they own a 57' portion of that. That portion should definitely be taken up by their building footprint or at the very least turned into green space. There's no need to provide parking and excessive hard scape for a neighboring office building. They need garage access, but such a roadway is roughly 25' Max or provide access from Webster.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of new renderings now up which gives a better feel of how the project will look from several angles including the Church Street bridge: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/JUNE/DesignReviewBoard/06-05-2014/CA-14-70-SoutheastcornerofEastBroadandChurchStreet.pdf

Ok, below "Additional Images"...what is that building(s) in the rendering next to the Peace Center? Did they leak a future development?!

Those images did not do them any favors with the garage design. Blah. I do still like the Broad Street facade.

Agreed. Why they can't do a centrally located internal parking garage like 400 Rhett and Stadium Apartments baffles me.

Archived