Virgin Hotel on Music Row, 15 stories, 262 rooms, music club

leggy77

Prior to the SP being passed the Virgin site was limited to 65ft by the Music Row UDO for that lot. The Virgin site falls under the same regulations as the Skyhouse property does (namely "sub-district 3: Support"). The Roundabout Plaza, 1515 site, and others are governed under the same UDO but in a different sub-district. For example, both roundabout plaza and 1515 could have built up to 150ft by right.  The UDO height limit was superseded by the Virgin SP which allows up to 225 feet or roughly 20 stories. 

UGH ! Hideous. International Style on crack with the offset stacked blocks. They're demolishing that nice early 20th century midrise with the water tower for this crap ? Appalling.

I'm not sure if they're demolishing the mid-rise with the water tower on top. I've looked at street view, but it's confusing on what's actually being used. 

I drove by here today and thought I had missed a turn. The trees have all been cleared and from the roundabout there is now a fairly amazing view of Midtown that wasn't there previously. It is a very dramatic change.

31d97600d1af90c249b60781b419ab45_zps5f70

Wow! You weren't kidding about the dramatic change in view. I went to Hattie B's yesterday (the Dämn Hot hurts so good!) and was pretty disoriented when I got to the roundabout. Pretty drastic change!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you the funniest part. BNA, you may remember this, since this was back during the heavy-handed reign of the Charlotte mods (2006)... when the proposal came out and we were discussing it and I compared it to a Kafkaesque nightmare realized in building form, I was scolded because "they" surmised that I was jealous of Louisville having such a "visionary" tower and wanted it in Nashville. No, fellas, no I didn't. I didn't want it in Louisville, Nashville or Dachau for that matter.

What may have looked mod and visionary for about 5 minutes in 2006 in hindsight looks like L'ville dodged a bullet that would've had people scratching their heads for years asking the question (especially staring at it from the Falls of the Ohio State Park on the Indiana side - the best view of the city), "What in the hell were they thinking ?"

Hahaha...Dachau even?  I couldn't agree more.  I don't remember that even specifically, but it doesn't surprise me one bit that...*briefly looks over his shoulder*...they...would behave in such a way. 

• Like 2