leggy77

Virgin Hotel on Music Row

417 posts in this topic

Announced today to open in 2016 at One Music Row. Mentioned in Music Row thread. On the roundabout

http://www.virgin.com/news/virgin-hotels-coming-to-nashville

http://www.virginhotels.com/

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/04/17/richard-bransons-virgin-open-hotel-nashville/7819701/

edit to add links

Edited by leggy77
2 people like this

Interesting. Who would have thunk that Branson had any interest in Nashville?

With him beginning his empire in music, getting a prime location on Music Row for a new venture not too surprising, plus the hotel will also have a recording studio.

I noticed that his Chicago Hotel is a re-use of a historic building.

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/virgin-hotels-in-chicago

So the Nashville hotel will be a new building from the ground up? One Music Square West is the site where they recently tore down the historic home and 1 Music Square East is the little park at the roundabout.

Btw, I love how Richard Branson has his face on everything about Virgin...I mean everything! Everything I clicked on the website had his face on it smiling. LOL

Looking forward to seeing a rendering. This area is Booming!

Here's the press release from the NBJ:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/virgin-hotels-opening-nashville-location.html?page=all

Edited by nashmoney

Maybe it'll be a reuse of the building at Music Square West and South Street, the name escapes me right now. I do remember original plans were to convert it into condos before the recession.

One of the articles I read said that the hotel was indeed going where the Antebellum Mansion that was just torn down, was just a couple days ago.  I hope this thing is a beauty. 

The site where the classic old Victorian home stood (17th and Division) also happens to have the address 1 Music Square West.  Coincidence?  I still would want that old house there in that little oasis of trees. :(

3 people like this

I wish they could have incorporate the old Victorian home into the hotel... 

There is bad karma in tearing down an antebellum mansion.    The hotel will be haunted....

1 person likes this

There is bad karma in tearing down an antebellum mansion.    The hotel will be haunted....

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy . . .

1 person likes this

A truly exciting announcement for Nashville. It is a shame we lost a historic house in the process, but maybe we will get an eye catching piece of architecture.

Who knows, this may open the door for international travel if Virgin Air comes to Nashville as well.

I agree and it could be another step, and a significant one at that, in helping BNA regain direct flights to London-Heathrow, which was lost when American dropped BNA as a hub.  

2 people like this

More likely would be Virgin America flight to SFO. MNAA has been chasing a flight to the Bay Area pretty hard, and allegedly is offering decent incentives for it. I think VX's product would be preferable than a long UAX flight in a regional jet.

1 person likes this

AS I commented on the other thread;

Dare I say.....Guitar Shaped Tower??

LINK

Edited by PHofKS

Hate to see the old house go, but I am trying to picture it and where exactly this will go. In any case, this is great for the city. With this hotel whether 12 stories or 20 you may wonder why Alex Palmer was passed up again. This Virgin Hotel would have been perfect for West End, but I guess you build where you can buy land.

AS I commented on the other thread;

Dare I say.....Guitar Shaped Tower??

LINK

I will bet it is a LEED building from seeing that.

From Historic Nashville fb page: 

"Nashville became a little less unique yesterday as a stately 19th century $1.3 million home was demolished less than 24 hours after a demo permit was issued to make way for yet another luxury hotel. All that's left is this pile of rubble.

More information on the sudden demolition of the Hamilton-Pilcher House on Music Row. The owner, who lives in Ashland City, pulled a $24,000 demo permit on Monday and knocked the $1.3 million house down on Tuesday. All that remains today is this pile of bricks. The property will be redeveloped with a luxury Virgin Hotel."

Woohoo, Redrum!

From Historic Nashville fb page: 

"Nashville became a little less unique yesterday as a stately 19th century $1.3 million home was demolished less than 24 hours after a demo permit was issued to make way for yet another luxury hotel. All that's left is this pile of rubble.

More information on the sudden demolition of the Hamilton-Pilcher House on Music Row. The owner, who lives in Ashland City, pulled a $24,000 demo permit on Monday and knocked the $1.3 million house down on Tuesday. All that remains today is this pile of bricks. The property will be redeveloped with a luxury Virgin Hotel."

Just hard to believe this kind of stuff can happen.  Home built in the 1830's...and was rumored to have been used during the Civil War.  Guy gets a demo permit and knocks the house down before anyone even knows what is happening.  Shameful. 

2 people like this

Just hard to believe this kind of stuff can happen.  Home built in the 1830's...and was rumored to have been used during the Civil War.  Guy gets a demo permit and knocks the house down before anyone even knows what is happening.  Shameful. 

Usually a last resort is to try to tie the historic structure up in environmental court to save it (at least in a few situations that I've been eaves dropping on in the office). That usually doesn't work, but it gives at least 30-90 days for someone to try to buy the property or put up a matching offer. 

Shameful indeed. 

from Midtown, over to The Gulch, down to the MCC...it's incredible to think what has/will happen with the small stretch of area.
Isn't the area just to the left of this (from Sub Stop/Broadway, back to Division) also up for sale as well?

from Midtown, over to The Gulch, down to the MCC...it's incredible to think what has/will happen with the small stretch of area.

Isn't the area just to the left of this (from Sub Stop/Broadway, back to Division) also up for sale as well?

Yes, it is for sale as well. From the way things are going, we may be in for more on the way. I happen to know of several projects that have yet to be announced. We may have to wait on those for a little while longer. I think we may get another residential announcement very soon of significance.

I really love that little stretch of businesses that include the Sub Stop...but I have resigned myself to the fact that their days are probably numbered too. :(

1 person likes this