Kenilworth may get extended to Burbank

itsjustme3

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the purpose of this connector is to reduce traffic on Highland by shifting it to Burbank. Kenilworth still isn't much of a short cut...it dead ends... I think most people looking to cross town will still rely on the newly widened Starring/Essen or Lee/College. I would imagine the majority of people using the connector would live in the Kenilworth area as a means to avoid Highland Rd and not be passing through to another part of town.

Even if that connection just leads to a already congested Perkins Rd?

Like Buckett said, I think it's meant to disperse traffic from Highland Rd to Burbank. If it were to continue past Perkins Rd, it probably would increase traffic through the neighborhood but you can't get very far on Kenilworth so people will likely still use Starring/Lee.

It sounds like this city could use some major road extensions, has anyone ever proposed a loop around the city. It seems like that could go a long way in improving traffic  :dunno:

Yeah, about 50 years ago, and then a few years ago again. A couple parishes didn't want it so it was pretty much killed. Welcome to Louisiana.

I have family that are truck drivers that drive 10 from coast to coast and say BR has some of the worst traffic and has the worst freeway connector with 10 and 110. Once LSU let's out it gets better.

The loop is victim of being too large for the city size and too many NIMBY issues.

The thing that would help is to upgrade Airline to interstate standards.

So how many Parishes does Baton Rouge fall on? It seems like a toll loop could do wonders for this region. 

Baton Rouge is all within East Baton Rouge Parish.

We're the biggest complainers when it comes to traffic, but we're also the biggest NIMBYs. 

I'm not sure who "we" is. You have to make sacrifices in life, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Haha, I read somewhere that this city has the traffic for a city double it's size. If that's true, it's really sad.

It's very true. Worse than most cities it's size and even many larger ones.

I have family that are truck drivers that drive 10 from coast to coast and say BR has some of the worst traffic and has the worst freeway connector with 10 and 110. Once LSU let's out it gets better.

The loop is victim of being too large for the city size and too many NIMBY issues.

The thing that would help is to upgrade Airline to interstate standards.

I think some major connectivity projects would go farther than upgrading Airline. Eventually it will be as congested as I-10.

Baton Rouge is all within East Baton Rouge Parish.

I'm not sure who "we" is. You have to make sacrifices in life, can't have your cake and eat it too.

It's very true. Worse than most cities it's size and even many larger ones.

I think some major connectivity projects would go farther than upgrading Airline. Eventually it will be as congested as I-10.

Look at I-10, you can tell that it is way too small, if BR is the most commuted city in the state I-10 should at least be a five lane. Also looking at it, it seems like a possible lifeline for the city, it certainly could be integrated more into the cities DNA. Baton Rouge has one of the best interstate impressions of any city I have ever seen.

Look at I-10, you can tell that it is way too small, if BR is the most commuted city in the state I-10 should at least be a five lane. Also looking at it, it seems like a possible lifeline for the city, it certainly could be integrated more into the cities DNA. Baton Rouge has one of the best interstate impressions of any city I have ever seen.

I agree with everything you said although, much of the problem is our dependence on highly traveled interstates. The more you widen them, the more they are traveled and developed on. Thus, congestion in a few more years. We screwed up by adding only two more lanes, I-10 and I-12 could have been 10 lane freeways easily. Just like the stretch in Metairie. A loop wouldn't hurt.

Um...WE are the people in the Baton Rouge area...

I kid I kid. :thumbsup:

I agree with everything you said although, much of the problem is our dependence on highly traveled interstates. The more you widen them, the more they are traveled and developed on. Thus, congestion in a few more years. We screwed up by adding only two more lanes, I-10 and I-12 could have been 10 lane freeways easily. Just like the stretch in Metairie. A loop wouldn't hurt.

I kid I kid. :thumbsup:

Though what you say is interesting, the bigger the road, the more people travel. In this case making the loop by expanding Airline could help drastically with traffic and possibly spur development in North Baton Rouge. 

From research I have done (remember I'm not as knowledgeable as you all with this city) it seems that your metro-port is getting more popular. If that's the case then the loop could really pick things up in this area. In the minds of developers it's close to Downtown, has cheap undeveloped land, right next to the Airport, and next to an Interstate loop. That is prime development. 

The loop could also make development in South BR pick up, especially with another bridge. To be honest North Baton Rouge, and South Baton Rouges growth and development would go through the roof. I could even see some high-rises going up in these areas  :thumbsup:

Though what you say is interesting, the bigger the road, the more people travel. In this case making the loop by expanding Airline could help drastically with traffic and possibly spur development in North Baton Rouge. 

From research I have done (remember I'm not as knowledgeable as you all with this city) it seems that your metro-port is getting more popular. If that's the case then the loop could really pick things up in this area. In the minds of developers it's close to Downtown, has cheap undeveloped land, right next to the Airport, and next to an Interstate loop. That is prime development. 

The loop could also make development in South BR pick up, especially with another bridge. To be honest North Baton Rouge, and South Baton Rouges growth and development would go through the roof. I could even see some high-rises going up in these areas  :thumbsup:

The more people travel, the more congestion.

Airline Hwy will never function as a loop. The purpose of a loop is to divert traffic around a city, Airline goes through the middle of the metro area.

We do need another bridge though!

Archived