The "We Need A New Outdoor Venue" Thread

grilled_cheese

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of that, it has been over a year since they announced that. How nice are these Stix that it takes over a year and 750K?

See this thread for a bit more detail:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/53094-nashville-bits-and-pieces/page-120?hl=%2Bstix#entry1319957

Artist Christian Moeller has been selected for the public art project at the Korean Veterans Boulevard Roundabout, adjacent to the Music City Center convention facility. His proposed work is a composition of native hardwood and natural colors – red orange, light blue, dark blue, light green and egg white, a homage to the Native Americans who first populated Middle Tennessee – with approximately 27 painted red cedar poles standing 70-feet tall. They will be spaced in an irregular organic pattern throughout the surface area of the roundabout. Moeller’s proposal calls for the verticality of the poles to vary between zero- to 15-degrees from the center axis. Each pole tip will be covered with a cap made of photo-luminescent pigment enhanced urethane resin to emit a light glow at night.

I'm a fan.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that stage every day on my way home from work...

I guess it's my fault for not paying close enough attention to the renderings, but it is being built much larger than I expected--not that I'm complaining!  :shades:

I wish all the music venues were in a separate area than places of business. Downtown Nashville is just too loud. The city really need to pass some type of noise variance.

Disagree.

Special events aside they will only ever get a permit for 11PM or 12AM (most likely the former) so they won't play too far past peoples bedtime.

Besides, having it downtown makes it easier on everyone.  There's a built in pregame spot on Broadway/2nd.  You can take public transportation downtown and it is covered by all the taxi and rideshare companies.  Did you ever make the trek out to Starwood?  There was no easy way to get down there for a 7PM show.  24 is busted that time of day, Old Hickory is a standstill, and taking 840 is just way too out of the way.  Trust me, I took every possible route to Starwood and they were all terrible.  I love The Woods @ Fontanel but it's a cluster getting in and out of there and it's only 4k as opposed to Starwood's 17k.

It's going to be beautiful having the skyline as a backdrop for a concert, Americanarama was great there last summer, except for the beer line situation.  And it should only get better with permanent infrastructure.

I'm not sure I've seen this rendering before. But this is on a banner on the construction fence. After taking a closer look I really think the city will regret making the amphitheater field so small. I wonder if this will limit who would want to play there.

Here is a better orientation. The render they have on the banner is looking from the ped bridge as donN stated

west-riverfront-aerial.jpg

Yes...it will be too small for most bands who actually have a following.  It should have been designed to fit 10k+.

There must have been some opposition to making the land just an amphitheater by some within city government.  I'm betting that some wanted an amphitheater...and some wanted a city park...and this ended up being the compromise.

Wow, for some reason this whole time I was thinking that the amphitheater was being built on the far left corner of the park.  I see what you guys are saying now about it being too small.  I don't understand why it was built right smack in the middle.  It seems like a very inefficient design.  Surely they could have pushed the amphitheater itself off to the left side and still had room for some sort of lawn behind an extended bowl.  I still think this will draw quite a few notable acts just because it's a high profile location in a high profile city, but there definitely won't be any major national tours choosing this over Bridgestone Arena.

Here's an idea...for larger events, open up the back of the stage and put some speakers on the downtown side, so people could stand in the "green" and enjoy the show as well. I'm not thinking this would be for every type of event, but perhaps those where you think there will be a draw of more than 10,000 (4th of July, CMA Fest, maybe Live on the Green, if it were to relocate).

I think we may be underestimating the size of this space. I know that the specified capacity is 6500, but if you reference the old Starwood site in Google Maps at the same scale, the two sites appear to be of relatively similar size. When using the very handy measuring tool, I get an approximate area of 185,000sqft for the Starwood seating areas (fixed and lawn), and 125,000sqft for the new downtown amphitheater seating areas. Starwood's listed capacity was ~17,100, so if the new amphitheater is roughly 2/3 the size it's not a stretch to think the new venue could support well over 10,000 persons depending on the configuration.

I think we may be underestimating the size of this space. I know that the specified capacity is 6500, but if you reference the old Starwood site in Google Maps at the same scale, the two sites appear to be of relatively similar size. When using the very handy measuring tool, I get an approximate area of 185,000sqft for the Starwood seating areas (fixed and lawn), and 125,000sqft for the new downtown amphitheater seating areas. Starwood's listed capacity was ~17,100, so if the new amphitheater is roughly 2/3 the size it's not a stretch to think the new venue could support well over 10,000 persons depending on the configuration.

Let's hope that ends up being true.  We'll probably find out really soon after it opens.

Wow, for some reason this whole time I was thinking that the amphitheater was being built on the far left corner of the park.  I see what you guys are saying now about it being too small.  I don't understand why it was built right smack in the middle.  It seems like a very inefficient design.  Surely they could have pushed the amphitheater itself off to the left side and still had room for some sort of lawn behind an extended bowl.  I still think this will draw quite a few notable acts just because it's a high profile location in a high profile city, but there definitely won't be any major national tours choosing this over Bridgestone Arena.

Yes, this is what we've been talking about. There's a spot on KVB up where the greenway will cross under where you can stand and look down on the whole site and really appreciate the scale of the stage and the bowl. From there you can appreciate how huge the stage area is shaping up to be. If you've been to Bonnaroo, it will be roughly the size of the WHICH stage (the second largest), which plays to a field that is listed as 30,000, but I've seen it hold thousands more. From the KVB vantage you can also appreciate how oddly close the stage is to KVB and that, yep, 6500 will be about the max capacity for the limited viewing area. I don't know, it's a real head scratcher. Clearly the thinking in the design was NOT to build a venue that will play large shows. Perhaps that was intentional to limit the acts and the noise levels. But then why build such an enormous stage and production facility?

Archived