The "We Need A New Outdoor Venue" Thread

grilled_cheese

I think we may be underestimating the size of this space. I know that the specified capacity is 6500, but if you reference the old Starwood site in Google Maps at the same scale, the two sites appear to be of relatively similar size. When using the very handy measuring tool, I get an approximate area of 185,000sqft for the Starwood seating areas (fixed and lawn), and 125,000sqft for the new downtown amphitheater seating areas. Starwood's listed capacity was ~17,100, so if the new amphitheater is roughly 2/3 the size it's not a stretch to think the new venue could support well over 10,000 persons depending on the configuration.

Well, following this logic (and taking it at face value);

Starwood= ~11 sq ft per person (185k/17k)

Riverfront= ~19 sq ft per person (125k/6.5k)

What that means, your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps it's a case of " Americans require more room than they used to". Or "post 9/11 security requires more room" or "concessions/restrooms are bigger" or "the site is different", or.....I dunno. But doing the math, if we packed the new amphitheatre to Starwood standards (and this is using your space estimate), then we could theoretically fit 11,300 into the place. That would make for a decent crowd.

I'm not sure what the capacity is going to be of the new ballpark, but I'm guessing that 11.3 will be close (when factoring in field seating).

I'm afraid that the amphitheatre is what we think it will be.....a small venue for the symphony and not much else. Now the ballpark, that could be a cool new venue. I've seen several big acts play in small ballparks (DMB at Auto Zone, Memphis) and I can tell you they make for cool venues.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What baffles me a bit is that it's being built in a way that there really is no way to now increase the size of the venue without taking down the expensive stage.  If they could have put the stage closer to the north side...and the park on the opposite end...they could easily increase the viewing area, if ever needed.  I realize that would possibly get rid of the "bowl" effect...but it would at least give them an option to grow.  The way they have it now, it's pretty much this capacity, no matter what the future holds.

I'm glad we're getting the amphitheater...but it's still a little strange, the way it's situated.

Looking at our current and under construction venues, here are the numbers.

All approximate;

LP- 70k. (Outdoor)

Vanderbilt- 40k. (Outdoor)

Bridgestone- 17k. (Indoor)

First TN ballpark- 8.5 seats, 10k cap (Outdoor)

Riverfront- 6.5k. (Outdoor)

Ryman/TPAC- 2.5k. (Indoor)

<2.5k many

I get it, I would love to see Starwood again. And it would be nice to have an outdoor venue in the 15-20k range. But we certainly aren't lacking options in size.

I forgot to mention, Live Nation bid and won the rights to operate the venue.  It's getting used for more than just the symphony.

When were the last pop concerts at Belmont and Lipscomb?  I know TCU had Juicy J this past weekend.  But I don't even remember hearing about shows at the previous two places.

I think we're also forgetting about concessions.  Are they going to have static structures? I don't see them in the renderings, so they must have allocated for space for them and their lines.  This could also be a factor in the size to capacity ratio.

I think when discussing the size and location of the venue, the designers had to consider continuity with the rest of the park in that equation. It is worth noting that while the venue size might not be ideal, reversing the layout and moving the venue adjacent to the bridge and placing the general pedestrian elements on the other side would markedly disrupt the continuity of the space. I envision that would have dramatically affected the utilization of those elements on the other side.

It is debatable for sure, but I would describe it as similar (but on a smaller scale) to the Gulch-SoBro pedestrian bridge. When a visitor has the choice to make the trek from one side to the other, every little bit of convenience helps. Plus, when considering the actual time spent being utilized for its designed purpose, there is a huge deficit between the amphitheater utilization and the rest of the park. I would surmise that this is why they appear to have prioritized the remainder of the park over the amphitheater portion.

After spending the first weekend of October at Austin City Limits I left wishing we had space in Nashville like Zilker Park to launch a rival festival. I can't help but feel competitive with Austin whenever I visit  :thumbsup:

The CMA festival in Nashville drew 80,000 people this year, not to mention the almost weekly touring concerts, outdoor shows, daily music venues, televised award shows, the Grand Ole Opry, a network TV show bearing the name "Nashville" -- oh, and Bonnaroo just down the road. I'd say Nashville holds its own with any city in terms of music.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Ryman on Friday for the Jason Isbell show and spoke to an employee about the renovations.  I was told that the construction cost $100 $14 million and was supposed to be finished by Jan/Feb but the construction people are saying June.  The whole point of paying that much money was to get it done when the Ryman wanted it done.

I was at the Ryman on Friday for the Jason Isbell show and spoke to an employee about the renovations.  I was told that the construction cost $100 million and was supposed to be finished by Jan/Feb but the construction people are saying June.  The whole point of paying that much money was to get it done when the Ryman wanted it done.

Their website says $14 million which seems more realistic.

War Memorial is operated under the management of Tennessee Performing Arts Center, with many of the restrictions that come with the venue being a state owned building.  I know many of the people involved in the operation of that venue.  If you have specific issues that you would like to point out, I'd be happy to pass them along.  TPAC operation for the main facility is smooth--I'm surprised to hear that they do everything wrong across the plaza!

War Memorial is operated under the management of Tennessee Performing Arts Center, with many of the restrictions that come with the venue being a state owned building.  I know many of the people involved in the operation of that venue.  If you have specific issues that you would like to point out, I'd be happy to pass them along.  TPAC operation for the main facility is smooth--I'm surprised to hear that they do everything wrong across the plaza!

They should sell tallboy cans and NOT pour them into cups.  Selling 12oz cans and then pouring them into cups creates double waste and patrons will have queue again to get another drink.  They could cut down on waste and make more money via fewer transactions.

They should have a designated smoking section where customers are allowed to take their drink.  The current reentrance policy is to scan the ticket out and then back in. 

When the band took a setbreak it became very dangerous in the lobby as we were shoulder to shoulder with other patrons.  People were pushing and a group near us was nearly getting crushed.  I looked towards an employee who was clearly not a grunt and seemed to have management duties.  I asked if there was a phone number or email address I could express my displeasure with management and she gave me the "whatever in the world could you complain about" look.  When she asked if there was anything specific I would like to point out I chuckled and just pointed at the mass of people.  She didn't seem to understand why that would be an issue.  She then tried to explain to me that they've "had problems with people trying to sneak back in".  As a customer, that is not my problem.  I tried to reiterate my point and told her that as a customer I was having a negative experience.  She did not seem care.

They stopped selling alcohol before midnight and when the band was still clearly playing, with no signs of stopping.  If this is a state of TN law or ordinance, then I can understand but they need to clearly post last call times.

I've been to this venue when they have literally run out of beer.  Zero beer in the place.  When is the last time the Exit/In ran out of Yuengling tallboys?

I will only attend this venue if I have floor tickets because I have been stuck up in the balcony.  They don't sell beer on that floor and the bathrooms are two flights of stairs down.

Last night they obviously over sold the floor as I have never seen it that packed and I've been to multiple sellouts at the WMA.  Shame on them.

Live music is my passion and I've been to nearly venue in the city, multiple times.  Just this week I went to three shows at three different venues.  Beats Antique @ Marathon, Drive-by Truckers @ Ryman, and STS9 @ War Memorial.  I've seen it all as a live music customer in this town.  WMA does not get it right.

TPAC should stick to Cats and Annie.  They have no business operating a rock and roll concert and I feel bad for anyone who buys a ticket without knowing what they're getting into at the War Memorial Auditorium.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

They said at the end of the video that Phish, Steely Dan, and Elvis Costello are all scheduled to perform there in August, so I guess we won't have to wait long to see how this venue handles capacity crowds!

Do we know if there will be permanent chair seats in the lower bowl ("orchestra") section or if it will be more of a terraced grass area with temporary seating (folding chairs)?  

I'm just curious.     I put in for the Phish lottery which was listed as all GA.   

Do we know if there will be permanent chair seats in the lower bowl ("orchestra") section or if it will be more of a terraced grass area with temporary seating (folding chairs)?  

I'm just curious.     I put in for the Phish lottery which was listed as all GA.   

No idea.  The renderings never showed any seats.

Archived