The "We Need A New Outdoor Venue" Thread

grilled_cheese

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Couple of recent (Thursday) shots of the Amphitheater from KVB bridge.      

Amphitheater.jpg

Amphitheater2.jpg

Someone posted recently asking whether there was a retaining wall or fence on the KVB side.    Yes, there is a permanent fence that separates the greenway and KVB from the music venue.   It's constructed using rebar in a rather artistic way (partially visible in the lower picture).    Not sure what the plan will be for access to the greenway during shows.   There is also a rolling grassy berm at the top of the lawn seating that may be designed to dampen some of the KVB traffic noise.  

I like the way this is coming together.    Can't wait to see a show here.  

Also, picture the views above with the Bridgestone, the SoBro and the Michael Hayes buildings in the backdrop.                         

Beautiful venue!! I can see many video shoots and live concerts filmed here in the future! I don't think I'll ever get over the city not wanting to build this thing just a bit bigger 12-15k being that Nashville has no real outdoor venue to host bigger acts during the summer, but nonetheless I can't wait to see some great shows with views of the city in the background.

Btw, Pinnacle is just a sexy building

So there are no seats being installed?

Correct---there will be portable seats utilized for reserved seating events in the area closer to the stage.  The grass hill above will be general on-the-ground seating a la the way general admission used to be at Starwood Amphitheater.  

85ef6p0.jpg

Great pic---thanks so much for getting this angle for all of us to see down into the bowl more clearly.  Am really looking forward to seeing Steely Dan/Elvis Costello show there in early August.

I pray to the most high God that SOMEDAY those stupid massive power lines will be removed from the riverfront.  Horrid eyesore to an otherwise beautiful riverfront that we can all be proud of. 

I really think it's odd that seating wasn't placed in the bottom section close to the stage. I can understand the upper area not. Just seems odd. The Farm Bureau Live amphitheater here in Virginia Beach has seating in the area case to the stage and then everything beyond that is lawn seating.

But overall I do like the look of it. It's a major improvement from what was there. It'll be nice to walk downtown and hear major acts or the symphony playing outside.

The residents of the SoBro should have a great view of concerts!

I'm actually pleased that there isn't any permanent seating. Live Nation's contract with Metro allows only 30 events per year for large concerts, so for the other 335 days the seats would be useless. Having grass areas right up to the stage makes it much for versatile for smaller local concerts/events and the many days when there is no concert at all.

I'm actually pleased that there isn't any permanent seating. Live Nation's contract with Metro allows only 30 events per year for large concerts, so for the other 335 days the seats would be useless. Having grass areas right up to the stage makes it much for versatile for smaller local concerts/events and the many days when there is no concert at all.

That's a good point. I wasn't thinking about only 30 events per year. I guess there's nothing wrong with throwing a blanket down (or bring your own chair) while watching a concert under the stars. I suppose seating might also encourage homeless people to hang out. Not sure how that's going to be dealt with.

For most Live Nation events they have a dedicated 'pit' section, the unseated area you are referring to. 

Edit:  But you may be referring to the area between the pit and lawn.  There will have to be some indicator of seat because the My Morning Jacket tickets I purchased are in the far section and I believe they are row J, seats 1 and 2.

Pit section - General admission

Seated area - section, row, and numbered seating

Lawn - General admission

I have Lawns for Widespread Panic and Phish and an assigned seat for My Morning Jacket.

Front page story in today's Tennessean about Ascend Amphitheater's first media day yesterday.  Includes nice photo gallery and a 360 degree viewing option from center of the seating area. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/07/14/nashville-offers-first-look-ascend-amphitheater/30164769/

Nice! I love the view of the skyline through the silhouette of the stage:

635725005663432832-NAS-Ascend-001.jpg

Everyone--

For kicks, go back to the first page of this thread and revel in the nostalgia for a moment. This city has come a long way and it's something to be proud of.

I got a kick out of some of the comments speculating about this and other projects nearby that are now underway or completed!

Is there a pro to having it that large? Other than bragging rights to say it is the largest? It seems like a band would look kinda weird on the stage with it being so large. It doesn't look like even the symphony would fill the stage. 

Archived