Bonjour!

Mr. Burnham

Bonjour! My name is Mr. Bernham or you can call me Bernham, I don't mind. I recently moved to Baton Rouge with family from Tampa, Florida, I discovered this board a few months ago and thought now would be a nice time to pop in. 

I have been interested in Urban Planning for a long time and I'm excited to be here. I have only been living in the city for a few weeks now, it seems interesting, but I'm still trying to find my way around. A lot of the developments here also seem very exciting! So far I have really fallen in love with Perkins Rowe. However being new I have a few questions:

1. What is 'St. George'?

2. Is IBM the cities only major company?

3. What are some fun things to do on a day off?

4. Where are the best shops/resturants? I have been to Perkins Rowe and I like it a lot, but are there some other cool places like it?

5. For fun, Where do you guys see Baton Rouge ten years from now? I'm very interested in questions like that, it also helps me get a feel for how optimistic some people are or pessimistic. 

Well I thank you for reading this and look forward to conversing with you all.  :thumbsup:

- Bernham

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonjour! My name is Mr. Bernham or you can call me Bernham, I don't mind. I recently moved to Baton Rouge with family from Tampa, Florida, I discovered this board a few months ago and thought now would be a nice time to pop in. 

I have been interested in Urban Planning for a long time and I'm excited to be here. I have only been living in the city for a few weeks now, it seems interesting, but I'm still trying to find my way around. A lot of the developments here also seem very exciting! So far I have really fallen in love with Perkins Rowe. However being new I have a few questions:

1. What is 'St. George'?

2. Is IBM the cities only major company?

3. What are some fun things to do on a day off?

4. Where are the best shops/resturants? I have been to Perkins Rowe and I like it a lot, but are there some other cool places like it?

5. For fun, Where do you guys see Baton Rouge ten years from now? I'm very interested in questions like that, it also helps me get a feel for how optimistic some people are or pessimistic. 

Well I thank you for reading this and look forward to conversing with you all.  :thumbsup:

- Bernham

Welcome to Urban Planet! Great to have another member here!

1. St. George is the unincorporated parts of East Baton Rouge Parish. There is currently a movement to incorporate the area into the municipality of St. George.

2. No, Baton Rouge had a F500 company before CB&I purchased The Shaw Group. You may have noticed the tall building on the north side of I-10 at the Essen Lane exit. Lamar Advertising is also located in Baton Rouge, it operates all over North America and is a F1000 company. The port of Baton Rouge is also one of the countries largest ports, and will be expanding soon, for the Panama Canal widening project. Turner Industries employs the most people in the area outside of state government (right around 10k).

3. Depends on what you like to do. I just got done taking a few pictures.

4. The best restaurants will probably be downtown, along Government St, Perkins Rd Overpass, for example. Some popular restaraunts include Juban's, Fleur De Lis Pizza, Red Zepplin Pizza, Tsunami's, Bistro Byronz, Acme Oyster House, Another Broken Egg (very popular for breakfast), Boudin's, Ralph and Kacoo's, Stroube's, etc. If you like Perkins Rowe, you may like Towne Center, it's a development with mostly chain stores and a few decent restaraunts (P.F. Changs and Flemings). It is anchored by Whole Foods. You would probably enjoy downtown, there is Live After Five on Friday evenings where a few bands play on North Blvd. It's getting more and more popular.

5. I could go on and on about this. I'm optimistic, but when reality sets in, it kinda brings me back down to Earth!

Welcome to Urban Planet! Great to have another member here!

1. St. George is the unincorporated parts of East Baton Rouge Parish. There is currently a movement to incorporate the area into the municipality of St. George.

2. No, Baton Rouge had a F500 company before CB&I purchased The Shaw Group. You may have noticed the tall building on the north side of I-10 at the Essen Lane exit. Lamar Advertising is also located in Baton Rouge, it operates all over North America and is a F1000 company. The port of Baton Rouge is also one of the countries largest ports, and will be expanding soon, for the Panama Canal widening project. Turner Industries employs the most people in the area outside of state government (right around 10k).

3. Depends on what you like to do. I just got done taking a few pictures.

4. The best restaurants will probably be downtown, along Government St, Perkins Rd Overpass, for example. Some popular restaraunts include Juban's, Fleur De Lis Pizza, Red Zepplin Pizza, Tsunami's, Bistro Byronz, Acme Oyster House, Another Broken Egg (very popular for breakfast), Boudin's, Ralph and Kacoo's, Stroube's, etc. If you like Perkins Rowe, you may like Towne Center, it's a development with mostly chain stores and a few decent restaraunts (P.F. Changs and Flemings). It is anchored by Whole Foods. You would probably enjoy downtown, there is Live After Five on Friday evenings where a few bands play on North Blvd. It's getting more and more popular.

5. I could go on and on about this. I'm optimistic, but when reality sets in, it kinda brings me back down to Earth!

Wow! This city seems a little larger than I originally thought. Looking through this board it appears that a lot of projects the could have made the city larger (so to speak in economic terms) were stopped by the recession, Now it looks like things are picking up.  

I'm an optimistic person as well, but a little grounded. For me it's easy to see when a project is not going to work out ; there were a few developments in Tampa that promised a lot, but did not work out. Some exciting things too...

Well I'm excited to check out some of the places you mentioned, the city definitely has a Southern Charm personality that kinda grows on you. The Live After Five sounds fun! Maybe I'll check it out tonight (considering it's midnight).  :camera:

Welcome to the Baton Rouge forum!

1. Some stupid movement to make another city through unincorporated areas. Though the city is annexing the largest income areas so that movements dead.

2. Antrell got it

3. For me it's going to some of the parks, if acting is your thing check out Theater Baton Rouge. I also like Town Center/Citi Place. 

4. Town Center, Citi Place, Mall of Louisiana, Arcadian Village, and Downtown. A really cool place downtown is the Farmers Market

5. I see Baton Rouge finished with hosting a successful Pan-American Games and bidding for the 2032 Olympics. I'm super optimistic.

1. Some stupid movement to make another city through unincorporated areas. Though the city is annexing the largest income areas so that movements dead.

::runs for a blanket to put out the fire coming from itsjustme3::

I can't believe you just belittled such an important issue so non-chalantly timelordnerd.

I don't know how to do the gif thing yet so just pretend I put one here....

"How Rude!"

You all know who I'm talking about.

Welcome to the BR Forum Mr. Bernham :good:  You have been plenty busy here so far!  Always liked the Tampa skyline, how about 7 of those skyscrapers really stand out...and an impressive waterfront as mentioned on another thread...looking forward to your future post!

Cool BR blog you have going on too...BR has several promising projects...esp the ones that will connect LSU to Downtown along the Nicholson corridor!

Antrell pretty much nailed it! Nice post! BTW Congrats for going over 2,000!

Welcome to the BR Forum Mr. Bernham :good:  You have been plenty busy here so far!  Always liked the Tampa skyline, how about 7 of those skyscrapers really stand out...and an impressive waterfront as mentioned on another thread...looking forward to your future post!

Cool BR blog you have going on too...BR has several promising projects...esp the ones that will connect LSU to Downtown along the Nicholson corridor!

Antrell pretty much nailed it! Nice post! BTW Congrats for going over 2,000!

Thanks for the compliment on my blog, I really can not stop wondering what Baton Rouge would be like today has Beauregard's vision been realized.

I want to throw Beausoleil, Chelsea's, and The Chimes into the "places to eat" category. 

Also, I haven't had a chance to try their food, but Latte e Miele has been posting rediculously delicious looking pictures of their brunch items on Facebook. Mason's, Chimes, and Portobello's also do great brunches. 

I want to throw Beausoleil, Chelsea's, and The Chimes into the "places to eat" category. 

Also, I haven't had a chance to try their food, but Latte e Miele has been posting rediculously delicious looking pictures of their brunch items on Facebook. Mason's, Chimes, and Portobello's also do great brunches. 

Thank you, I will certainly check those out.

I only mentioned it in jest.

I would say Chimes is really good and worth checking out.

Oh sorry, everyone keeps saying check out Chimes so I figure I should try it ASAP  :fun:

Latte e Miele is actually starting a dinner service soon also. 

Archived