Uptown

orlandoguy

There is a pedestrian bridge planned over Colonial between I-4 and Orange.  It is supposed to connect the OUT with Gertrude's Walk to downtown/church street.  The project is funded and planned and supposed to coincide with the Ultimate I-4 work in that section.  Supposedly was scheduled to be complete open in 2017, but will probably be delayed.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-07-16/business/os-orlando-colonial-bridge-20140716_1_orlando-international-airport-paths-downtown-orlando

There is a pedestrian bridge planned over Colonial between I-4 and Orange.  It is supposed to connect the OUT with Gertrude's Walk to downtown/church street.  The project is funded and planned and supposed to coincide with the Ultimate I-4 work in that section.  Supposedly was scheduled to be complete open in 2017, but will probably be delayed.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-07-16/business/os-orlando-colonial-bridge-20140716_1_orlando-international-airport-paths-downtown-orlando

As a frequent user of the urban trail I can't wait for this to be a reality.  But unfortunately, lots of evidence suggests casual pedestrians will avoid these bridges (and the steps/ramps leading up and down them) and just try to cross at street level anyway. I think there is a real benefit to pedestrian bridges in areas with large crowds crossing together (for example, the I-Drive/Sandlake proposal or anywhere near a convention center/arena) - people will naturally follow the crowd - but a couple dudes who live in Steel House wanting to get a sub at Mama B's?  I'd put my money on them waiting at the light and making a run for it versus climbing up and down stairs.  The only real solution I can think of is the eventual build out of the Sentinel site and perhaps some areas on Magnolia north of Colonial creating a critical mass of people crossing that area daily - if it's crowded enough, over time pedestrians will force their will on the road and win longer crossing light times, etc.  Also, as I mentioned above, "Uptown" would do well for itself by marketing to a slightly more mature crowd and steering their recreational interests north towards Ivanhoe/Mills 50

• Like 1

I live in SteelHouse currently and ride the OUT at least once a week.  I completely agree with you on all points.  The Ped Bridge would make more sense around Orange probably, but they have no ROW there obviously.  I probably won't ever take that bridge unless I am going to Church street area or Amway or the new MLS stadium.  That is kind of why it's there I guess, but i think mostly transients will frequent that area and some walkers/joggers that live in the CBD.  Me, I just wait on the lights.  Can't wait for the Sevens to finish and new stuff to open up. A grocery store would be FANTASTIC but that probably won't happen unless Publix decides their store on Shine is too old and small in the future (which it probably is) and decide to put one uptown/highlands area and one further east to serve Colonial Town and Mills.

I like the Uptown Area, though.  Close enough to Downtown to walk if you really want to, far enough away to not deal with some of the bad stuff about living downtown, and some good restaurants, and access to parks and trails.  I could still walk or ride a bike to work if it wasn't so darn hot and rained every afternoon.  

Street-level crossings at an intersection with or near a pedestrian bridge is not the same as no one using the pedestrian bridge.

The bridge will make a lot of sense for cyclists/runners on the trail....but if you're going from NORA to Mama B's, or from the Residence Inn to North Quarter Tavern, crossing at street-level is logical.

I often take South Street from Bumby to Rosalind and it has no bearing on the purpose of the 408

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They probably won't add a crosswalk there until construction on the Sevens is finished.  The sidewalk on the east side of Orange is closed due to the construction barrier fence.  I think they are trying to keep people off that corner for now, and will revisit pedestrian circulation and street level experience once the sitework begins. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, GTR said:

The SoDo townhouses look so much more attractive. Seems odd the better design would be hidden away in not the best of neighborhoods and the weaker design would be used in a high-value focal point setting:

I'd suggest the developer went for a less "offensive" design in Park Lake to appease the neighbors.  That never really turns out well.

Edited by prahaboheme

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I'd suggest the developer went for a less "offensive" design in Park Lake to appease the neighbors.  That never really turns out well.

I think the Park Lake design is much more fitting for that neighborhood, especially with the darker colors. I'm tired of seeing these bleached out looking white & grey buildings that look more like they belong in Miami, going into the old tree lined neighborhoods in downtown Orlando.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I think the Park Lake design is much more fitting for that neighborhood, especially with the darker colors. I'm tired of seeing these bleached out looking white & grey buildings that look more like they belong in Miami, going into the old tree lined neighborhoods in downtown Orlando.

I agree, but doo-doo brown is hardly an appealing color either.

• Like 1