Uptown

orlandoguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, orlandouprise said:

It was rejected? That would be one of THE best buildings in DT the day that gets built. Wow, I'm speechless. Let's not build something  great, it might look out of place with all the other subpar, mediocre buildings. Can't have that....lol

It wasn't "rejected" per se. It was submitted by Hunton Brady for a design competition but didn't win. It got an honorable mention award.

Relax. The real renderings to be revealed Wednesday (May 2nd).

The new design might be better than that one which, truthfully, I didn't particularly like.

Some care is in order with the Chamber building. It's a design of one of Orlando's most beloved architects, Nils Schweizer, Jr. Nils was an acolyte of Frank Lloyd Wright who came south to work on the Florida Southern buildings (it's one of the largest collections of Wright's work and well worth a road trip to Lakeland if you're an architecture buff) and stayed to design many of Orlando's best buildings (no visors!).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Some care is in order with the Chamber building. It's a design of one of Orlando's most beloved architects, Nils Schweitzer, Jr. Nils was an acolyte of Frank Lloyd Wright who came south to work on the Florida Southern buildings (it's one of the largest collections of Wright's work and well worth a road trip to Lakeland if you're an architecture buff) and stayed to design many of Orlando's best buildings (no visors!).

Also designed Orlando Public Library building. 

Personally, I hope they respect the original building and do as little as possible in terms of altering the exterior. I think it looks perfect for its new role just like it is.

It has a kind of somber, serious look about it

Maybe fully enclose the partially open bottom floor with glass in order to utilize the current outdoor space as new interior space.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2018 at 8:21 AM, orlandouprise said:

It was rejected? That would be one of THE best buildings in DT the day that gets built. Wow, I'm speechless. Let's not build something  great, it might look out of place with all the other subpar, mediocre buildings. Can't have that....lol

Thank you!

On 4/30/2018 at 10:00 AM, JFW657 said:

It wasn't "rejected" per se. It was submitted by Hunton Brady for a design competition but didn't win. It got an honorable mention award.

Relax. The real renderings to be revealed Wednesday (May 2nd).

The new design might be better than that one which, truthfully, I didn't particularly like.

I hope the design they choose is as cool looking as that.  Something tells me that it won't be.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

This is JMHO, but I think that new design is kinda tacky looking. Undignified.

Looks like a McDonald's to me.

the one pictured above?  don't you think it looks modern NYC art museum-ish?

Just now, jrs2 said:

the one pictured above?  don't you think it looks modern NYC art museum-ish?

Let's just say I don't think it's an appropriate design for a Holocaust museum.

It might look OK if it were a modern art museum, but I don't see anything about it that reflects the somberness of the building's intended purpose.

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Let's just say I don't think it's an appropriate design for a Holocaust museum.

It might look OK if it were a modern art museum, but I don't see anything about it that reflects the somberness of the building's intended purpose.

valid point.  with that in mind, what are we left with, Brutalist designs?

Just now, jrs2 said:

valid point.  with that in mind, what are we left with, Brutalist designs?

I think they should mostly leave the current building alone. Do some minor additions like fully enclosing the ground floor, redo the landscaping around it, etc, etc.

Take down the signage of course.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I think they should mostly leave the current building alone. Do some minor additions like fully enclosing the ground floor, redo the landscaping around it, etc, etc.

Take down the signage of course.

Agreed.  Parking is going to be an issue there, unless they make a deal with doubletree to use their garage.  I think they could also make an excellent garden area in the park to the west of the building, although it has to be done carefully to shield the noise from I4 as best as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1