Uptown

orlandoguy

From the City of Orlando via NextDoor:

North Quarter Vision Study

Mon, Jul 30, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
777 N Orange Ave

Event details

The City of Orlando is studying restoring two-way traffic to Orange and Magnolia Avenues in the North Quarter (Colonial Drive to South Ivanhoe Boulevard) and enhancing the area for people bicycling and walking. Initial analysis has shown that the change in traffic pattern is feasible. This is your opportunity to be involved with a design process to determine how these central corridors in the North Quarter could look and function better for residents, businesses, and visitors

• Like 3

I always had hoped the would reroute FL 527 traffic southbound on Garland or Hughey and then back to the Davis Causeway in conjunction with the I4 redo, allowing Orange to go on a road diet through the core. Obviously it's too late for that now so I guess this is the best we can hope for. It should be good for Uptown.

I've said this before, but most metropolitan areas have one way multi-way streets through the core.  I understand the benefits (slower, safer, encourages stopping at local businesses), but if that's the case why doesn't every other city get rid of their one-ways.  I'm perfectly content with Orange how it is and think making it smaller or two-ways will only increase congestion and ultimately make it less safe because you have to be watching traffic from both sides. (Yeah, I shouldn't be jaywalking, meh.  When I can blatantly see there's no traffic coming, there's no reason not to.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One-way streets came to most of America's cities starting in the '50s, in order to compete with the rapidly multiplying suburban highways.

Not surprisingly, they turned out to be pedestrian-unfriendly (not unlike suburban highways) and they were an important factor in the demise of downtowns (at the mall, if you survive the parking lot, you're safe.)

That wonderful exercise in traffic engineering, just like destroying wide swaths of neighborhoods downtown with expressways, has fortunately fallen out of favor as downtowns are rehabilitated. It's not always possible to switch back (and halfway attempts of a block here and a block there are maddening,) but it's a way to get Americans (who need the exercise) out of their cars.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I say: keep Orange Ave one way, get rid of the curbside parking and use the extra space to add another traffic lane. 

Multi-use pedestrian/bike lane separated from traffic connecting the OUT to the new pedestrian bridge. . . . 

/FTFM. . . Fixed that for me. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 5:25 PM, jrs2 said:

In defense of the two way study, Orange is like a race track from Colonial north to get to The Precious (the middle lane to I-4).

The new onramp north of Colonial, and improved south of Colonial will hopefully take some stress off of this section, although it will continue to be the north downtown entrance to the express lanes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A gem from the 1940's is back and better than ever at Marks and Highland. These apartments have long been owned by the Quakers, whose meeting house is next door. Apparently they still are because the article notes they're still requiring a background check (the only time I ever encountered that before was when I looked at these apartments back in the '70's . I was, as mentioned in Steel Magnolias, still too young to have "a past".)

Anyway, I'm really glad they've not only saved but even improved this landmark across the street from Lake Highland Prep.

http://bungalower.com/2018/08/17/house-of-the-day-renovated-historic-apartment-complex-in-lake-highland-now-available/

From Bungalower

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/14/2019 at 11:38 AM, Jernigan said:

Two Uptown/NQ projects in January ARB agenda:

110-114 Marks St “Elan Residences” (4-story, 10-unit residential)

845 N Magnolia “M15” (4-story, 15-unit residential)

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2019/01/ARB2019-01agenda.pdf

"Plans for two small-scale luxury residential projects in downtown Orlando’s North Quarter district have morphed into a proposal to build a pair of 20-story high rise towers... “The density potential for those four properties is 296 units,”... “We currently believe a hotel and multifamily play is most probable, but it’s not to say there couldn’t be another use that surprises us,”... 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-mosaic-tower-20200609-jmgtqwz6v5gl5k677ufqfla7ma-story.html

• 6 months later...

Two things:

• Can we all agree that Uptown has become North Quarter? People I talk to have begun using it as if its common parlance. In that vain, @bic or @sunshine should rename this thread to fit. ("North Quarter / Uptown")
  • What park serves North Quarter? I have never lived there, but I have noticed that there does not seem to be a convenient park for such a residential area. Should there be one created or a nearby one expanded to fit? What property could it be located in (Orlando Sentinel, Vertical Medical City, etc.)?
Edited by WAJAS

27 minutes ago, WAJAS said:

Two things:

• Can we all agree that Uptown has become North Quarter? People I talk to have begun using it as if its common parlance. In that vain, @bic or @sunshine should rename this thread to fit. ("North Quarter / Uptown")
  • What park serves North Quarter? I have never lived there, but I have noticed that there does not seem to be a convenient park for such a residential area. Should there be one created or a nearby one expanded to fit? Could the Orlando Sentinel property be partially converted into a North Quarter city park.

I have no problem with North Quarter but it’s interesting to me that no name ever seems to stick up there. Compare that with, say, SoDo and Thornton Park, both of which seemed to click as soon as they were coined. 

Since he lives there, I’ll defer to @dcluley98 on this.

As to their park, I would assume Gaston Edwards, although it’s sort of a pain to get to because of all the wide roads between the two areas.

Finally, I’ve never thought of the ersatz collection of apartments along N. Orange Ave. as much of a community (I have the same issue with what’s become of South Eola). If I were to move up that way, I’d be more likely to prefer something like the refurbished Quaker apartments on Highland with access to Park Lake. A friend of mine who used to live there liked watching the games and practices across the street at LHPS when he got home from work in the evening. He said it made him feel grounded.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

Wasn’t North Quarter a fabricated name by developers to lure in potential residents? I’ve never really liked that name — just doesn’t really fly off the tongue. 

Yep, North Quarter, NOra and, truth be told, even Uptown are all latter-day monikers. Tbh, I don’t really recall that area of town having a name. When I was a kid, it was mostly a couple of new car dealers and used car lots. It really didn’t get much attention until Florida National Bank built its tower up there in the mid-60’s and moved from 1 N. Orange. They advertised  just about every night on the 6 o’clock news about how much easier it was to use their drive-in tellers instead of fighting downtown traffic (complete with June Cleaverish women in convertibles chatting at a red light).

Interestingly, they didn’t note what part of town it was in, just the names of the streets around the bank.

So, I guess we can call it whatever we want.

28 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Isn’t this area too close to downtown to be considered uptown? I don’t even refer to it by the North Quarter. It’s all just downtown to me.

I think that the stopping point in most folks’ minds for downtown is Colonial Drive. That also corresponds with the much older cultural break for old-timers of whether one lives north or south of Colonial.

That line in people’s minds goes back at least to 1950 when OHS was replaced by Edgewater and Boone. If you lived north, your kids went to Edgewater and you supported it. If you lived south, the same but with Boone.

North folks went to Florida Sanitarium and south folks went to Orange Memorial. 

Downtown was neutral ground but that was how people thought of things. Obviously, we long since outgrew the line but just as northerners moving to Atlanta start saying “y’all” pretty quickly, it was just a casual part of life here for a long time.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1