orlandoguy

Uptown

From the City of Orlando via NextDoor:

North Quarter Vision Study

Mon, Jul 30, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
777 N Orange Ave

Event details

The City of Orlando is studying restoring two-way traffic to Orange and Magnolia Avenues in the North Quarter (Colonial Drive to South Ivanhoe Boulevard) and enhancing the area for people bicycling and walking. Initial analysis has shown that the change in traffic pattern is feasible. This is your opportunity to be involved with a design process to determine how these central corridors in the North Quarter could look and function better for residents, businesses, and visitors

• Like 3

I always had hoped the would reroute FL 527 traffic southbound on Garland or Hughey and then back to the Davis Causeway in conjunction with the I4 redo, allowing Orange to go on a road diet through the core. Obviously it's too late for that now so I guess this is the best we can hope for. It should be good for Uptown.

I've said this before, but most metropolitan areas have one way multi-way streets through the core.  I understand the benefits (slower, safer, encourages stopping at local businesses), but if that's the case why doesn't every other city get rid of their one-ways.  I'm perfectly content with Orange how it is and think making it smaller or two-ways will only increase congestion and ultimately make it less safe because you have to be watching traffic from both sides. (Yeah, I shouldn't be jaywalking, meh.  When I can blatantly see there's no traffic coming, there's no reason not to.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One-way streets came to most of America's cities starting in the '50s, in order to compete with the rapidly multiplying suburban highways.

Not surprisingly, they turned out to be pedestrian-unfriendly (not unlike suburban highways) and they were an important factor in the demise of downtowns (at the mall, if you survive the parking lot, you're safe.)

That wonderful exercise in traffic engineering, just like destroying wide swaths of neighborhoods downtown with expressways, has fortunately fallen out of favor as downtowns are rehabilitated. It's not always possible to switch back (and halfway attempts of a block here and a block there are maddening,) but it's a way to get Americans (who need the exercise) out of their cars.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I say: keep Orange Ave one way, get rid of the curbside parking and use the extra space to add another traffic lane. 

Multi-use pedestrian/bike lane separated from traffic connecting the OUT to the new pedestrian bridge. . . . 

/FTFM. . . Fixed that for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Multi-use pedestrian/bike lane separated from traffic connecting the OUT to the new pedestrian bridge. . . . 

/FTFM. . . Fixed that for me. 

Might be enough room for both.

In defense of the two way study, Orange is like a race track from Colonial north to get to The Precious (the middle lane to I-4).

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 5:25 PM, jrs2 said:

In defense of the two way study, Orange is like a race track from Colonial north to get to The Precious (the middle lane to I-4).

The new onramp north of Colonial, and improved south of Colonial will hopefully take some stress off of this section, although it will continue to be the north downtown entrance to the express lanes.

• Like 1

A gem from the 1940's is back and better than ever at Marks and Highland. These apartments have long been owned by the Quakers, whose meeting house is next door. Apparently they still are because the article notes they're still requiring a background check (the only time I ever encountered that before was when I looked at these apartments back in the '70's . I was, as mentioned in Steel Magnolias, still too young to have "a past".)

Anyway, I'm really glad they've not only saved but even improved this landmark across the street from Lake Highland Prep.

http://bungalower.com/2018/08/17/house-of-the-day-renovated-historic-apartment-complex-in-lake-highland-now-available/

From Bungalower

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1