Uptown

orlandoguy

Not more than what I posted - it would be an extension of what we have now. With the short turnaround, I wouldn't expect any dedicated lanes and possibly not even any shelters on day 1. But just having the frequent service will be nice.

Bike share would also be a way to get to and from in 5 or so minutes depending on lights. They are adding more stations in April and I believe NQ is included in that

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts on if the Ivanhoe I-4 exit closure affect Uptown at all? I rarely used it and never saw anyone else really using it. It will cut off the only direct exit into Uptown though.

Will the on-ramp remain open? I see that used a ton come 5 o'clock.

Edited by klstorey

• 2 weeks later...

The Sevens update -- this building is flying.  It seems to be outpacing 420 S Church Street.  The southern section of the first floor is already getting window treatments and the color scheme.  There is also a big view of this building from Magnolia when heading north over Colonial.  I'll try to snap a few pics later today.

For taking as long as it did to break ground on this project, they are really making up for lost time.  I am optimistic that this project will give the Uptown area a building with the scale and characteristics needed to further help develop a sense of "place".  I do hope the retail helps to support this effort as well -- perhaps a pharmacy, general store, etc.

The Sevens update -- this building is flying.  It seems to be outpacing 420 S Church Street.  The southern section of the first floor is already getting window treatments and the color scheme.  There is also a big view of this building from Magnolia when heading north over Colonial.  I'll try to snap a few pics later today.

For taking as long as it did to break ground on this project, they are really making up for lost time.  I am optimistic that this project will give the Uptown area a building with the scale and characteristics needed to further help develop a sense of "place".  I do hope the retail helps to support this effort as well -- perhaps a pharmacy, general store, etc.

Drove past it yesterday & was surprised at how far along it was.

Couldn't get a good pic while driving, though.

Shoulda stopped, I guess.

What're they up to now, about four stories?

Yeah, working on the 4th story.

I passed by here as well.  Impressed with the rate of ascent.  so so happy this project is filling in this tract.  It's blocking the Steelhouse already when heading NB on Magnolia while stopped at the light at SR 50.

That is a bit confusing. So if I'm going to nora from the suntrust building, I will have to go through the centroplex area before I get to uptown?

No, but if you wanted to go from Suntrust to DPAC, you'd have to go through uptown. The order of the stops is ..... LYNX, Suntrust, OC Courthouse, Amelia/Magnolia, Colonial/Magnolia, Marks Street Senior Center, Colonial/Orange, Amelia/Orange, OC Courthouse (Again), Post Office..... 

• Like 1

That's not how I read it - I really want to get out there now and find out. 

But the way that it reads - mcn11 is right.  If you were staying on one bus, you would travel up Magnolia, hook a left (westbound) on Livingston to LYNX and then through the Centroplex Garage.  Just like the Orange Line has always run.   Then on the way back, instead of make the right at the Courthouse to head south on Magnolia, you would continue to Rosalind/Magnolia and take that north to Marks.  The schedule notes "The North Quarter extension is only served eastbound."

In practice though, you would hop on LYMMO at SunTrust (Which I assume we're talking about the stop on Orange by the Visitor Center) and take that north on Magnolia to the Courthouse stop.  Exit the LYMMO that you are on.  Then get on the next LYMMO heading east.

Very complicated, I'm not sure I can think of a better alternative but it also goes back to this being a super rush job from the City to get transit into NQ.  LYNX compensated by pushing back peak service from 5 to 7 minutes to keep operating costs the same.

• Like 1

Some friends and I accidentally got on this merry-go-round tonight. As a frequent user from the Orange/Livingston stop I'm sure I'll get used to the updated route but everyone was grumbling in my direction when the bus took a left on Livingston from the courthouse. The Plaza never seemed so far away ...

That's not how I read it - I really want to get out there now and find out. 

But the way that it reads - mcn11 is right.  If you were staying on one bus, you would travel up Magnolia, hook a left (westbound) on Livingston to LYNX and then through the Centroplex Garage.  Just like the Orange Line has always run.   Then on the way back, instead of make the right at the Courthouse to head south on Magnolia, you would continue to Rosalind/Magnolia and take that north to Marks.  The schedule notes "The North Quarter extension is only served eastbound."

In practice though, you would hop on LYMMO at SunTrust (Which I assume we're talking about the stop on Orange by the Visitor Center) and take that north on Magnolia to the Courthouse stop.  Exit the LYMMO that you are on.  Then get on the next LYMMO heading east.

Very complicated, I'm not sure I can think of a better alternative but it also goes back to this being a super rush job from the City to get transit into NQ.  LYNX compensated by pushing back peak service from 5 to 7 minutes to keep operating costs the same.

That's the way it looks to me, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Some friends and I accidentally got on this merry-go-round tonight. As a frequent user from the Orange/Livingston stop I'm sure I'll get used to the updated route but everyone was grumbling in my direction when the bus took a left on Livingston from the courthouse. The Plaza never seemed so far away ...

http://www.golynx.com/news-events/attention-lymmo-orange-line-passengers.stml

• Like 3

Yea I don't see how a physical sign will do anything - the buses would have to flip their display...and then I guess a physical sign to let the riders know "hey - read the bus, we mean it"

I think it would be cheaper and more awesome for the bus to pull up, the driver get out, and then he cups his hand to his mouth and yells, "Alllll Abooooarrrrd! North Quarter Station!"

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Continuing this conversation we started in the SkyHouse thread (AndyPok1, bulldogger, jfw657, etc)

It does seem with all the residential development in this area that it might spring to life. The lack of a grocery store is a big deal ... but, driving through there this morning, it felt like it was becoming an actual neighborhood. There has got to be a sizable residential population forming there. Is there a good way to find those numbers? Total number of units being built, that kind of thing?

And how does it compare to downtown with things like the homeless problems / income level / crime? 

I run/ride through this area a lot.  There are some sketchy people around the 7-11 on Colonial and occassionally under the I4 overpass at the lake (harmlessly sleeping or sitting in the shade, honestly), but as far as the panhandler it's not like the CBD.  Lake Highland Prep being nearby probably doesn't hurt the amount of police patrolling either.  I think a bodega or Walgreens would do really well as a tenant in one of those buildings on Orange.  I can't see publix sqeezing out their store down the street on Colonial with anything in this area, and Fresh Market on MIlls probably sees this enighborhood as within their jurisdiction too. I think the true appeal of these apartments is the short walk/bike ride up into the flourishing Ivanhoe area while still realistically being able to wlak ride to the CBD.  That said, Colonial might as well be a wall

• Like 2