The New Turner Field - Life After The Atlanta Braves

Lady Celeste

Since the Atlanta Braves have elected to move a mere 12 miles up I-75 to the Platinum Triangle (Cobb County with an Atlanta mailing address), I have decided to start this new thread to discuss what will become of Turner Field after the Braves leave in 2017. 

Mayor Kasim Reed has been very bullish on turning this area into a live, work, play area that is both exciting and affordable. Some lamented the departure of the Atlanta Braves to Cobb County. Some are viewing it as a prime opportunity to right some of the wrongs that were created many decades ago with the construction of the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.

As Atlanta matures into a more vibrant city, it must look for creative ways in which to redo the urban fabric lost so many years ago by carelessly planned municipal projects. Will the city get it right? Only time will tell. The parcel is on the proposed Stage 2 of the Atlanta Streetcar line so it will become public transit accessible. That's definitely a positive. What we do know is that there is definitely a great deal of interest in the 60+ acres that will become available just south of Downtown along the Downtown Connector and just west of the vastly popular and gentrified Grant Park community.

If done properly, this prime real estate could become quite the intown community.

Discuss.... 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Batter up!!!!

Carter and Georgia State University!

The duo proposes a $300M mixed use project at Turner Field

oewv.png

gt14.png

Carter and Georgia State University on Wednesday teamed on a proposal for a $300 million redevelopment proposal for the property around Turner Field for multiple uses, including football and baseball stadiums, retail, residential and student housing. 

Atlanta-based real estate developer Carter and Georgia State University on Wednesday teamed on a proposal for a $300 million redevelopment of the property around Turner Field for multiple uses, including football and baseball stadiums, retail, residential and student housing.

The redevelopment of the 77-acre site would be funded by public and private sources, the organizations said in a statement. Carter’s preliminary proposal would include a 30,000-seat football stadium on the Turner Field site and a Georgia State baseball complex. The baseball stadium would be designed in the former location of Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium and would incorporate the Hank Aaron wall. Residential and student housing, retail businesses, green space and plazas also would be added to the property.

At first I was skiddish about Georgia State being involved with the redevelopment of the old Turner Field. After seeing this proposal, I am now on their team. 

Read All About It herehttp://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/05/07/carter-gsu-propose-300m-turner-field-redevelopment.html

I'm definitely on board with this plan. I'll be at Georgia State for a couple of years or so starting Fall 2015, so I might not get to enjoy the fruits of this project - but knowing how fast GSU has been growing, I know they're very much in need of this expansion. I like the fact that there's so much greenspace where there's currently a sea of parking lots, and I like that a portion of the Turner Field stands will remain. I hated to see the Braves go, but this seems like a great improvement over Turner Field itself.

• 2 weeks later...

The proposal to turn Turner Field into a football stadium is intriguing. It will result in one of the oddest football stadiums I've ever seen, but if it buys GSU a football stadium for much less than the cost of building from scratch, then I'm all for it.

Archived