Cotswold Area Projects

Miesian Corners

I have no data, but my suspicion is that Publix is not doing as well in the market as they expected. I am in their target demographic, and I usually don't shop there; I go to Costco, Super G, or Food Lion instead, usually. The prices are just ridiculous, and the quality is no better than any other chain. Furthermore, due to their long-standing presence in the market, Harris-Teeter and Food Lion have the best locations locked down.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 12:41 PM, Miesian Corners said:

Anyone have an idea why it is taking so long to build Publix? The building has been under construction since January and still doesn't have windows.  In fact, it looks almost identical today as it did in the photo above, which was taken in September. At this point, I don't see how it could be open until March or April. The interior is still a shell.

I think the labor market is still in bad shape.  We are seeing lots of projects stalling due to inability to find workers.  When a job loses momentum it can be REALLY disruptive.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, asthasr said:

I have no data, but my suspicion is that Publix is not doing as well in the market as they expected. I am in their target demographic, and I usually don't shop there; I go to Costco, Super G, or Food Lion instead, usually. The prices are just ridiculous, and the quality is no better than any other chain. Furthermore, due to their long-standing presence in the market, Harris-Teeter and Food Lion have the best locations locked down.

The Publix in Harrisburg is moving along very quickly.  Looks to be opening in the very early part of next year!

• Like 2

I think as we have started discussing this there has been some pretty good movement on Publix recently. This weekend I noticed the exterior sheeting going up and some activity on sight. 

Seems like this particular Publix is in an area that could use a competitor to the existing Harris Teeter and the awful Cotswold Village parking lot. It will do well in this high traffic very congested area.  Plenty of shoppers for two higher end groceries in the area. 

On the Teeter topic, the new Bar inside didn't have an empty seat Friday at 4pm. I am impressed with how busy it is every time I am there. Good addition

Yes the Publix finally looks different than what it did in the pictures above.

I’m sort of surprised by the success of that HT wine bar. It doesn’t have a cool location, windows/views/decor. It just kind of sits there next to the frozen foods. I was expecting something at least sort of along the lines of the SP Whole Foods or the Myers Park HT. But I guess if people need wine to shop at this death trap of a grocery store, I can understand. Publix should do great here...just hurry up already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was eating some Chinese over by Cotswold and here is the Publix finally coming together from Randolph and from Colwick today.  Then stopped by and got some Charlotte based Krispy Kreme doughnuts!  You can see the parking garage level under the store at the Publix.  First 2 from the front the rest from the back of the store. 

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/11/2017 at 11:02 AM, deaconator said:

I’m sort of surprised by the success of that HT wine bar. It doesn’t have a cool location, windows/views/decor. It just kind of sits there next to the frozen foods. 

Not a cool location? It's next to the frozen foods--it doesn't get any cooler.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:27 AM, asthasr said:

I work at Publix and I can assure you their numbers go up every week. The prices are higher than other stores but the quality is better. Publix offers many coupons and Publix is actually cheaper than Harris Teeter. Publix is doing very well in this market and adding near 10 stores in this market this year. Harris Teeter and Food Lion are better known in this region but Publix is making is presence steps at a time. 

• Like 1

Don't know  much about other Charlotteans (sp) grocery habits, but being a transplant from Miami-Ft Lauderdale, I was ecstatic to find out we had Pubix in this region.  Is it a bit overpriced? yes, but as others have indicated, the quality is just there.  Also, their customer service is unmatched in the industry. 

They could bring in five more grocery chains and Publix would still be my go-to.  Can't wait for the new one to open in Fourth Ward since it will be closer to NoDa than South Blvd. 

1 hour ago, UPNoDa said:

Don't know  much about other Charlotteans (sp) grocery habits, but being a transplant from Miami-Ft Lauderdale, I was ecstatic to find out we had Pubix in this region.  Is it a bit overpriced? yes, but as others have indicated, the quality is just there.  Also, their customer service is unmatched in the industry. 

They could bring in five more grocery chains and Publix would still be my go-to.  Can't wait for the new one to open in Fourth Ward since it will be closer to NoDa than South Blvd. 

I’m a Fort Lauderdale transplant and if you’ve shopped at Publix for a while like other Floridians had there is no turning back. I drive 20 Minutes to Publix and pass at least 5 Harrison tetters. I’ve gotten multiple customers who have driven around 40 Minutes just so they could go to Publix. Harrison Teeter isn’t being put out of business anytime soon, But Publix sure is stealing some of their customers. 

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

I’m a Fort Lauderdale transplant and if you’ve shopped at Publix for a while like other Floridians had there is no turning back. I drive 20 Minutes to Publix and pass at least 5 Harrison tetters. I’ve gotten multiple customers who have driven around 40 Minutes just so they could go to Publix. Harrison Teeter isn’t being put out of business anytime soon, But Publix sure is stealing some of their customers. 

I disagree with about 75% of what @Cadi40 posts, but even though we are off-topic, I must say I do the same thing.  I routinely drive past 4 or 5 Harris Teeters to get to a Publix.  Question though:  Is the "Harrison tetters" thing just a misspelling, or is it a joke I don't understand?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I disagree with about 75% of what @Cadi40 posts, but even though we are off-topic, I must say I do the same thing.  I routinely drive past 4 or 5 Harris Teeters to get to a Publix.  Question though:  Is the "Harrison tetters" thing just a misspelling, or is it a joke I don't understand?

It's a misspelling. It should be Hairy Teeters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^^ Don't worry I doubt many Cotswold residents will be walking into this store they will safely drive and park underneath unfortunately.  

But I'm pretty sure Cotswold Residents will still speed and go out of control and partially submerge themselves in the Harris Teeter Live Lobster tank.

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

But I'm pretty sure Cotswold Residents will still speed and go out of control and partially submerge themselves in the Harris Teeter Live Lobster tank.

"Pretty sure," eh? 

The speed required to jump the curb, breakthrough the brick veneer and frame, and plow through the floral section, bread, card displays, and temporary seafood setup to get to the Harris Teeter lobster tank would be incredible.   I just don't see it happening, no matter the mass of the SUV or lead foot of the soccer mom/dad. 

Perhaps you have them breaking through  side of the store, near Greenwich and Randolph/Smashburger?  If they hit a ramp (not sure how you see this being implemented), and careened airborne with enough force to crash through the ceiling (I'm thinking over the milk and refrigerated processed meats), perhaps they could slide to the lobster tank?   Still, a gamble.    

Or maybe you're thinking of an intentional lobster tank submersion trip, where a smart car takes less resistance through the automatic doors, then navigates past self checkout, through the pharmacy aisle and only has to plow through the frozen seafood / meat island? 

20 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Surprised they are allowed to build that close to the street in that location.

I'm surprised too.  Also no planting strip - that back of curb sidewalk looks pretty narrow and substandard.  Anyone know if this development was by-right or required rezoning?

• Like 1