Cotswold Area Projects

Miesian Corners

City Council approved the recommendation 7-1.    Check out page 9 of the agenda for some supporting documentation.  

This is a link to the Zoning Committee recommendation

This is a link to the staff analysis.

Conversation starts around 1:11 in the meeting.

I think this is really big news for the more established neighborhoods that are tired of seeing lots split and cleared under the tree save ordinance.   

Edited by WCUP

20 hours ago, lefty23 said:

Good to hear!!

I'm just glad SOMEONE is reading!   This decision has some big time implications on the future redevelopment in existing neighborhoods in Charlotte IMO...unless I'm missing something.   The tree save ordinance hasn't been used a ton (something around 24 times since 2014), but I suspect that if the loophole remained that developers aware of the strategy would have only increased efforts to take advantage.   Glad the city council was fairly quick to act. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any info on if something is planned for a huge tract that has now been cleared on Wendover between the police station and the medical office complex? I think there may have been some old houses and such that faced the other direction previously but now it looks like they have a bunch of acreage oriented toward Wendover to develop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

There was a rumor that Target was possibly eyeing a location in the Cotswold area, particularly the parcel where the Randolph Park apartments are.

Target is currently in the midst of opening several new stores that are smaller than your typical Target store. Known as "flex-format", these smaller stores seemed to be aimed at downtown locations and college neighborhoods.

I bring this up because two flex-format stores were just announced for the Triangle. One near UNC Chapel Hill, and one near NC State. If a Target is still in the works for Cotswold, or even SouthPark, I would guess it would be done in this style of smaller box retail.

A%20conceptual%20drawing%20of%20the%20ne

Target opening new stores near NCSU, UNC campuses

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blog about Common Market's newest location in Oakhurst, with an interview w one of the owners, including a retrospective on the last two locations. Really nice piece.

http://developclt.com/common-market/

Posting this here because: I don't want to create a new thread for Oakhurst, I'm not a fan of the name "MORA" (no hard feelings), and Common Market is blending the names Oakhurst and Cotswold into "Oakwold" for their newest location. KINDA WEIRD, but there ya go.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 2 weeks later...

CM should have gone with just "Oakhurst." It shouldn't have anything to do with Cotswold in terms of the name because it's not located there. I put this in the same category as people who say Birdsong or Amelies are located in NoDa because they are on North Davidson Street.

I thought the article about the guy moving to the suburbs and hating it was great. It wasn't really about Cotswold in particular, it was about his unrealized affinity for being in a walkable environment versus having to drive everywhere. I hope more people have that same experience and learn to love a more compact lifestyle.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 3:46 PM, Spartan said:

CM should have gone with just "Oakhurst." It shouldn't have anything to do with Cotswold in terms of the name because it's not located there. I put this in the same category as people who say Birdsong or Amelies are located in NoDa because they are on North Davidson Street.

I thought the article about the guy moving to the suburbs and hating it was great. It wasn't really about Cotswold in particular, it was about his unrealized affinity for being in a walkable environment versus having to drive everywhere. I hope more people have that same experience and learn to love a more compact lifestyle.

I walk to Harris Teeter and Pizza Peel all the time. I thought he just sounded like a whiny millennial. Besides, he works for the Town of Matthews, quite arguably one of the LEAST walkable places in the region. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 3:46 PM, Spartan said:

First, Cotswold is NOT the suburbs in my book. I realize what you are saying, but I think calling that area the suburbs is a stretch.

Second, I live in Huntersville. Birkdale to be exact. I like to walk to the things I can and I regularly do. However, going anywhere outside of the village does require driving and it's no big deal at all. In fact, sometimes I drive to Cotswold....and I repeat...it's no big deal at all. That article is rediculous and anyone who learns anything from that didn't really learn anything at all.

Third. Huntersville IS the suburbs.

20 hours ago, jednc said:

First, Cotswold is NOT the suburbs in my book. I realize what you are saying, but I think calling that area the suburbs is a stretch.

Second, I live in Huntersville. Birkdale to be exact. I like to walk to the things I can and I regularly do. However, going anywhere outside of the village does require driving and it's no big deal at all. In fact, sometimes I drive to Cotswold....and I repeat...it's no big deal at all. That article is rediculous and anyone who learns anything from that didn't really learn anything at all.

Any place outside of uptown where you feel like it would be easier to drive to than walk/bike to is the suburbs as far as I'm concerned. Birkdale is a pocket of urban-style walkability in the suburbs. Cotswold is not walkable.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 2:05 PM, jednc said:

Don't forget the Galway Hooker. It is also walkable from Birkdale with a good chance on "not" getting run over. (: