Nashville proposals from site members

NashvilleTaylor

This board is mostly about reporting news of developments, but I thought it would be interesting to open it up to discuss proposals by forum members.

My proposal is to cover up the downtown railway lines (between 11th and 10th streets).  Don't get me wrong - I mean for the tracks to still be operational, just out of sight.  The small city where I went to high school - Anderson, SC - covered up their railroad tracks in a similar fashion to improve their urban landscape.  I think I can speak for everyone here saying these tracks are just an eyesore. Think of all of the extra room for development that would provide.  New buildings could be constructed over the old tracks, as well as parks (albeit without large foilage that would disturb the foundation).  This would fully integrate the Gulch with the rest of downtown.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an interesting proposal... and one that would require huge expense.  However, with the MDHA disclosure that they want a 1100+ space parking garage, perhaps something like that could be engineered on either side of 11th between Church and Broadway with air rights sold to developers. 

As for my "proposal"... I guess what I would envision is a denser multiple block (between 3rd and 8th and Lea and Peabody Avenues) mixed use townhouse, flat and retail complex, much like what has been reported is in store for the Capitol View project (with Parallon and SCRI headquarters).   However, my proposal would be predominantly high quality brownstone type buildings and low-rise courtyard buildings.  Some of the east-west streets would be pedestrian only.  To sum it up, it would be a five block-long by two block wide neighborhood of night spots, retail and residential (like Temple Bar in Dublin).  I also think this would make the surrounding office sites (along KVB and such) much more attractive to develop. You might call it a "kinder, gentler" version of the Gulch.

It's too bad that the downtown interstate loop is not all below grade where we could build buildings and green spaces above...ala what we're considering between Division and Demonbreun over I-40.  Downtown would be connected in all directions to existing neighborhoods if the interstate loop either didn't exist or was below grade with covered spaces above.

This board is mostly about reporting news of developments, but I thought it would be interesting to open it up to discuss proposals by forum members.

My proposal is to cover up the downtown railway lines (between 11th and 10th streets).  Don't get me wrong - I mean for the tracks to still be operational, just out of sight.  The small city where I went to high school - Anderson, SC - covered up their railroad tracks in a similar fashion to improve their urban landscape.  I think I can speak for everyone here saying these tracks are just an eyesore. Think of all of the extra room for development that would provide.  New buildings could be constructed over the old tracks, as well as parks (albeit without large foilage that would disturb the foundation).  This would fully integrate the Gulch with the rest of downtown.

I mentioned that to William W last week while we were doing lunch and thought that would be cool. The real estate that could be made available would be substantial. Everyone is reading my mind on this board. Time to break out the aluminum foil hat.

My dream:

Totally reengineer the streetscape of Lower Broad (reduce number of lanes, add a planted median, widen sidewalk, and add vendor space in the median like Las Ramblas) and pedestrianize 2nd between Demonbreun and the Public Square

Close Lower Broadway to normal traffic from 5th to 1st (but don't close the side streets.. Widen the sidewalks immensely, and have the Amp or whatever mass transit proposal traverse the center. Have two access lanes specifically for taxis, carriages, and pull out loading zones for deliveries for the businesses in the area. And trees...big trees...along each side of the transit line. Also raise the Broadway sidewalks as they cross the side streets, so they act like those "speed humps" do in residential areas. And add benches. Even if they are primarily used by the bum/gypsy musicians, at least they won't be sitting in the damn sidewalk.

Essentially, I would make it similar to Market Square in Knoxville, but with transit down the middle, and access for commercial traffic.

I mentioned that to William W last week while we were doing lunch and thought that would be cool. The real estate that could be made available would be substantial. Everyone is reading my mind on this board. Time to break out the aluminum foil hat.

Who is William W?  Does he work for the city planning department?

It's too bad that the downtown interstate loop is not all below grade where we could build buildings and green spaces above...ala what we're considering between Division and Demonbreun over I-40.  Downtown would be connected in all directions to existing neighborhoods if the interstate loop either didn't exist or was below grade with covered spaces above.

What are you talking about when you mention covering 40 between Division and Demonbreun?  Is that a proposal somebody's put on the table? 

Who is William W?  Does he work for the city planning department?

William Williams. Writes for the Nashville Post, contributes to this site as EastSideUrbanite, regularly attends forum meets, and saves adorable kittens from trees.

What are you talking about when you mention covering 40 between Division and Demonbreun? Is that a proposal somebody's put on the table?

I don't think anyone with power has made a serious proposal. It's just a pipe dream of ours for now. But then again, it's amazing what you can accomplish by simply getting an idea out there in the public subconscious.

I don't think anyone with power has made a serious proposal. It's just a pipe dream of ours for now. But then again, it's amazing what you can accomplish by simply getting an idea out there in the public subconscious.

As I was looking around for more info after seeing Titanhog's post, I came across some UT landscape architect's masters thesis from a couple years ago titled "Freeway Capping: Capping Nashville's I-40 South Loop to Connect Downtown and Midtown." 

It looks kind of familiar so I apologize if I'm re-posting, but it's got some good pictures and diagrams in addition to feasibility specs if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2341&context=utk_gradthes

As I was looking around for more info after seeing Titanhog's post, I came across some UT landscape architect's masters thesis from a couple years ago titled "Freeway Capping: Capping Nashville's I-40 South Loop to Connect Downtown and Midtown." 

It looks kind of familiar so I apologize if I'm re-posting, but it's got some good pictures and diagrams in addition to feasibility specs if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2341&context=utk_gradthes

Awesome stuff!  This is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind for covering railroad tracks too

• 5 months later...

Been there a few weeks ago. One of the most impressive proposals I have ever seen.

Indeed. I saw that over the summer and was quite impressed. To have such a large development occur all at once in NYC is almost unheard of!

I hate to pull the broken-record (naysayer) card again, but I can't imagine our land costs are high enough to justify the engineering expense of such a proposal in Nashville. I hate the I-40 canyon as much as anyone, but it takes a lot more than feelings to justify millions of dollars in expense.

• 2 weeks later...

not a proposal but I didnt know where else to share. I took an hour and mapped empty surface parking lots downtown, I included everything south of Charlotte, West of the River, East of the Gulch and all the way south to one block south of KVB. 

Green is currently or soon under construction. for sake of understanding I included both the westin and JW sites even thought they are not totally empty.

Yellow is empty lots.

Red is surface lots that are obviously surface parking for an adjacent building with entrances that would prohibit development.  or need another use but note necessarily a building. (the gap in front of the Symphony center, should be a park)

15693613548_d84282f780_o.jpgempty lots by willfry, on Flickr

observations, 

most of the empties are west of 6th, and they seem to be clustered.

I did not include a few obvious ones like the Ryman parking lot.

Thanks for posting that, Will. Per my comment in another thread, the wanton destruction of so much of this city in exchange for all of these parking lots is disgusting. That Frankenstein chunk of pavement at the corner of Church & 8th is particularly frustrating.

Agree with BNA--bring on the cranes!

not a proposal but I didnt know where else to share. I took an hour and mapped empty surface parking lots downtown, I included everything south of Charlotte, West of the River, East of the Gulch and all the way south to one block south of KVB. 

Green is currently or soon under construction. for sake of understanding I included both the westin and JW sites even thought they are not totally empty.

Yellow is empty lots.

Red is surface lots that are obviously surface parking for an adjacent building with entrances that would prohibit development.  or need another use but note necessarily a building. (the gap in front of the Symphony center, should be a park)

15693613548_d84282f780_o.jpgempty lots by willfry, on Flickr

observations

most of the empties are west of 6th, and they seem to be clustered.

I did not include a few obvious ones like the Ryman parking lot.

Awesome job! I tried to do this several years back and you have shown a lot more perseverance than I had. I t really puts things into perspective as to what we could have down the road.

Archived