Nashville proposals from site members

NashvilleTaylor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job. I would have made the dedicated parking for the Market Street Apartments red.

Oh, and the building at the NW corner of Commerce and 7th has been torn down.  Fenced lot there now. Hopefully, someday, construction on the federal courthouse will actually start there.

ah, good point about the courthouse site. that block is the biggest offender right now for empty lots. 

I disagree with the Market Street Apartments though. that lot could be developed with Parking included for the existing apartments. 

Has anyone given thought to where a major league ballpark could be built downtown? I believe Nashville will be getting some serious consideration by MLB owners (especially those in Tampa Bay and Oakland if they don't get new stadium deals soon) within the next 7-10 years. With all the exciting downtown projects already underway or in serious proposal stages, it would seem that some of the prime spots are slipping away. Additionally, the new First Tennessee Ballpark's footprint is too small to have a reasonable chance of being expanded from 8,000 seats to 35-40,000 (the current MLB standard)…especially once all the surrounding apartments, condos, parking garages, Tenn. State Museum and Archives are built in the next several years.

When scouting sites, several key things need to be kept in mind: 1) Home plate cannot be facing into the sunset, as it would be unsafe for batters…this is a cardinal rule of baseball design; 2) A view of the downtown skyline is paramount in helping sell the city whenever games are broadcast, highlights shown, and, of course, people attend games in person); 3) Access to major thoroughfares and freeways for easier entrance/egress.

So…here are some of the parcels that I think have great potential (if they should remain available in the timeframe mentioned):

A) Two blocks north of LP Field, in a lot bordered by the river on east, Main Street viaduct on south, and North 1st Avenue on east. It mostly taken up with large fuel storage tanks currently. Has great freeway access, plenty of parking in the area due to LP Field, and a nice view of downtown across the river.

B) The lot directly across form NES Headquarters bordered by Church Street on north, I-40/65 on west, Porter Street on south, and gulch railroad tracks on east. This might be too tight as the lot dimensions are about 650' x 650', but would have terrific access, decent views looking southeasterly into downtown. 

C) Directly across the freeway from B with Church Street on the north, 16th Avenue on west, Broadway on south, and I-40/65 on east. Currently home to several car dealerships. Good access and great view of downtown.

D) Several blocks south of the MCC, in triangular lot with Lafayette Street on on the southwest, 4th Avenue on the east, and Peabody on the north. Nice tie-in with MCC and all the other entertainment going in that neighborhood. Great views of downtown, especially all the new structures going up in SoBro. Traffic flow could be an issue.

E) Just to the west of D bordered by 7th Ave. on west, Lafayette Ave. on East, and the new Division Street Connector on the south. Once again, very nice views of the skyline, close to a lot of the development in the Gulch and around MCC. Traffic flow could be difficult. Perhaps some new ramps could be developed to serve the inner belt directly to the south.

I realize a lot of folks have always felt the area south of LP Field would be terrific. This where the recycling and fuel storage businesses are currently located (and we can all agree the resultant piles of scrap metal, etc. are a real blight to our downtown). However, in order to get the beautiful panorama of downtown, the batter would be looking directly into the sunset in the summer months. And to build it facing the other direction in order to assist the batters would be quite anti-climatic as people would stare at a freeway). Besides…this would probably end up being a spot for the next NFL stadium…perhaps a domed venture that would allow for Nashville to host Super Bowls, NCAA Final Four Tournaments, many more large concerts in colder months, etc. I know, I know…LP Field is only 15 years old.  But most NFL stadiums only have about a 25-30 year shelf-life these days.  If the new NFL stadium were built on this spot, just THINK what other developments could open up in the area where LP Field currently is?  Makes my mouth water.  

Thoughts?

Has anyone given thought to where a major league ballpark could be built downtown? I believe Nashville will be getting some serious consideration by MLB owners (especially those in Tampa Bay and Oakland if they don't get new stadium deals soon) within the next 7-10 years. With all the exciting downtown projects already underway or in serious proposal stages, it would seem that some of the prime spots are slipping away. Additionally, the new First Tennessee Ballpark's footprint is too small to have a reasonable chance of being expanded from 8,000 seats to 35-40,000 (the current MLB standard)especially once all the surrounding apartments, condos, parking garages, Tenn. State Museum and Archives are built in the next several years.

When scouting sites, several key things need to be kept in mind: 1) Home plate cannot be facing into the sunset, as it would be unsafe for battersthis is a cardinal rule of baseball design; 2) A view of the downtown skyline is paramount in helping sell the city whenever games are broadcast, highlights shown, and, of course, people attend games in person); 3) Access to major thoroughfares and freeways for easier entrance/egress.

Sohere are some of the parcels that I think have great potential (if they should remain available in the timeframe mentioned):

A) Two blocks north of LP Field, in a lot bordered by the river on east, Main Street viaduct on south, and North 1st Avenue on east. It mostly taken up with large fuel storage tanks currently. Has great freeway access, plenty of parking in the area due to LP Field, and a nice view of downtown across the river.

B) The lot directly across form NES Headquarters bordered by Church Street on north, I-40/65 on west, Porter Street on south, and gulch railroad tracks on east. This might be too tight as the lot dimensions are about 650' x 650', but would have terrific access, decent views looking southeasterly into downtown. 

C) Directly across the freeway from B with Church Street on the north, 16th Avenue on west, Broadway on south, and I-40/65 on east. Currently home to several car dealerships. Good access and great view of downtown.

D) Several blocks south of the MCC, in triangular lot with Lafayette Street on on the southwest, 4th Avenue on the east, and Peabody on the north. Nice tie-in with MCC and all the other entertainment going in that neighborhood. Great views of downtown, especially all the new structures going up in SoBro. Traffic flow could be an issue.

E) Just to the west of D bordered by 7th Ave. on west, Lafayette Ave. on East, and the new Division Street Connector on the south. Once again, very nice views of the skyline, close to a lot of the development in the Gulch and around MCC. Traffic flow could be difficult. Perhaps some new ramps could be developed to serve the inner belt directly to the south.

I realize a lot of folks have always felt the area south of LP Field would be terrific. This where the recycling and fuel storage businesses are currently located (and we can all agree the resultant piles of scrap metal, etc. are a real blight to our downtown). However, in order to get the beautiful panorama of downtown, the batter would be looking directly into the sunset in the summer months. And to build it facing the other direction in order to assist the batters would be quite anti-climatic as people would stare at a freeway). Besidesthis would probably end up being a spot for the next NFL stadiumperhaps a domed venture that would allow for Nashville to host Super Bowls, NCAA Final Four Tournaments, many more large concerts in colder months, etc. I know, I knowLP Field is only 15 years old.  But most NFL stadiums only have about a 25-30 year shelf-life these days.  If the new NFL stadium were built on this spot, just THINK what other developments could open up in the area where LP Field currently is?  Makes my mouth water.  

Thoughts?

I think if it happens, and I will say a big if at this point because of taxpayer pushback, it will go close to, if not adjacent to the Titans stadium. This would be handled through the sports authority and they would more than likely utilize the parking that is already in place. With that being said, another possible site would be at the PSC metals site.

not a proposal but I didnt know where else to share. I took an hour and mapped empty surface parking lots downtown, I included everything south of Charlotte, West of the River, East of the Gulch and all the way south to one block south of KVB. 

Green is currently or soon under construction. for sake of understanding I included both the westin and JW sites even thought they are not totally empty.

Yellow is empty lots.

Red is surface lots that are obviously surface parking for an adjacent building with entrances that would prohibit development.  or need another use but note necessarily a building. (the gap in front of the Symphony center, should be a park)

15693613548_d84282f780_o.jpgempty lots by willfry, on Flickr

observations, 

most of the empties are west of 6th, and they seem to be clustered.

I did not include a few obvious ones like the Ryman parking lot.

Already looks way better than it did just a few years ago. Here's a version I did back in 2011: http://adamscarroll.livejournal.com/72823.html

Already looks way better than it did just a few years ago. Here's a version I did back in 2011: http://adamscarroll.livejournal.com/72823.html

Wow, I had not seen that one before either. Great job on that work too. You guys need to make sure you post your hard work and share it with us.

We have a great bunch of multitalented members on this board.

not a proposal but I didnt know where else to share. I took an hour and mapped empty surface parking lots downtown, I included everything south of Charlotte, West of the River, East of the Gulch and all the way south to one block south of KVB. 

Green is currently or soon under construction. for sake of understanding I included both the westin and JW sites even thought they are not totally empty.

Yellow is empty lots.

Red is surface lots that are obviously surface parking for an adjacent building with entrances that would prohibit development.  or need another use but note necessarily a building. (the gap in front of the Symphony center, should be a park)

15693613548_d84282f780_o.jpgempty lots by willfry, on Flickr

observations, 

most of the empties are west of 6th, and they seem to be clustered.

I did not include a few obvious ones like the Ryman parking lot.

Thanks so much for this map.  A couple others that should be considered for inclusion:

1. The lots to the north and west of the Rolling Mill Hill sheds (the one that borders KVB is an especially prime piece of real estate, as is the open lot just to the west of the water plant on SE corner of KVB/1st Avenue).

2. The lot behind (to the south) of Union Station Hotel.

I love the surface lots maps!

Here is my idea for a new avenue + connector to East Nashville (also showing that the ball park might be possible at the site without facing due west).

The ball park could face south (to rolling mill hill) or southwest (hopefully that wouldn't be too bad?) towards the gulch.  Both are decent looking vistas imo.  Due west is shown in orange.

The new east-west avenue is an idea I have had for a while, indicated in black.  near the stadium it would turn into one way traffic.  I would like to point out it would go under the interstate and would NOT include an exit ramp.  This would be an alternative option when things get real crappy during major events (like the titans game)  Every single time they close off all roads, making it very difficult for East Nashvillians to go across the Cumberland.  In purple is a bridge and extension of Fesslers lane. 

Nashvilleideas.jpg

On a side note I think it would be nice to fully complete the semi circle started at Ed Temple Blvd -> 28/31st connector -> Blakemore -> Wedgewood -> Walsh.  There must be a way to connect Walsh to Fessler's and on to 14th ave in East Nashville.  This would be one grand avenue that connects most of the major institutions of higher learning.  Connecting TSU (and by extension Fisk and Meharry) with Vanderbilt and Belmont (with Lipscomb just down the road) finally connecting with Trevecca University on fessler's lane. 

On a side note I think it would be nice to fully complete the semi circle started at Ed Temple Blvd -> 28/31st connector -> Blakemore -> Wedgewood -> Walsh.  There must be a way to connect Walsh to Fessler's and on to 14th ave in East Nashville.  This would be one grand avenue that connects most of the major institutions of higher learning.  Connecting TSU (and by extension Fisk and Meharry) with Vanderbilt and Belmont (with Lipscomb just down the road) finally connecting with Trevecca University on fessler's lane. 

I think about this often too, especially with the UT College of Social Work Campus at 193 Polk Ave! how about this as an alignment for completing wedgewood:

N9VkdkB.jpg

I think about this often too, especially with the UT College of Social Work Campus at 193 Polk Ave! how about this as an alignment for completing wedgewood:

N9VkdkB.jpg

Yeah that's exactly what I have in mind!  The only obstacle there is a car dealership on Nolensville pike but they could always be persuaded to relocate

The ability of a city's population to move around is critical to it's long term growth, and traffic in Nashville is getting a little CRAZY at times! I'm all for these improvements in traffic flow. Ideas like connecting Wedgewood with Polk/Fesslers with East Nashville, I believe, would have a very real and extremely positive impact on our city. It will improve our ability to get around, and open up new areas for development in the future.

To me this is very wise public infrastructure investment.

How do we get ideas like these in front of the people who make the decisions, and foster the long term visions for our city?

I had an idea a couple years ago to redevelop the entire fairgrounds area that included almost this exact connection. it is a great idea to connect that street.

The only problem I see is going all the way to east Nashville, the bridge would have to be high enough that it would go all the way past the existing road there and into the housing area.  

That could cause the rare east nashville nimby to show its face.

I recall a proposal and possibly a plan to connect Wedgewood with Fesslers in an MPO document from about 10 years ago.  I thought there was even some money earmarked for it then it was clawed back.  Obviously, I don't recall the circumstances but I can't help thinking it was political with NIMBYs. 

I recall a proposal and possibly a plan to connect Wedgewood with Fesslers in an MPO document from about 10 years ago.  I thought there was even some money earmarked for it then it was clawed back.  Obviously, I don't recall the circumstances but I can't help thinking it was political with NIMBYs. 

What would be the focus of the opposition to such a connection?  Just curious.  The main question that I have about the route proposed in the above map is how the connection of Wedgewood would handle the railroad tracks.  Would it go over them or use the very tiny underpass for the local street?

Unfortunately, I don't recall the details... and I may be conflating the opposition to the proposal to turn the fairgrounds into an office park redevelopment with the street connector, which I'm pretty sure was linked to the fairgrounds proposal to make it accessible/attractive to would-be developers and companies that might locate there.  Just trying to remember. 

So, this isn't really a proposal as much as it is a theoretical.

We often hear about these fantasy "skyscraper cities". A giant mixed-use skyscraper that has office, residential, retail, it's own transit-like service and all of the amenities that residents could ever need. These are pitched as self contained communities all within one building. You often see proposals like these for places like Tokyo or Hong Kong.

This got me thinking. We have several dead or nearly dead malls in Nashville and countless across America. What if these malls were transformed into communities. I think they are nearly perfect. The existing buildings already have a "central business district" built into them. What was the main shopping corridor could house everything from retail, to office space, doctors, cleaners, groceries, schools and whatever else a community would need. They typically have natural light and wide walkways. These malls all have massive "anchor" structures on four corners. Granted, the anchors are mostly enclosed space with little natural light. I envision these as gathering spaces for individual communities. You could build high rise residential around each anchor. These structures could be typical residential units that wrap around each anchor to form one "neighborhood" within the greater "mall city". Each neighborhood could use the anchor space as an entertainment area with bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, grocery stores, big box stores, community centers, office space and potentially even manufacturing uses on the lower floors. Even sports arenas, like we now see (in micro scale) at Hickory Hollow Mall. Things that don't necessarilly need natural light.

Where these apartments feed to the outside could be green space where there once was parking lots. These green spaces should be vast, allowing residents to enjoy the outdoors with parks, playgrounds, water features, dog parks, and sports facilities (tennis, basketball, tracks, etc).

It would all be a walkable, self contained, climate controlled community. Parking structures could be built underground or at the base of the towers. I can even see a heavy rail station connecting the community to the greater city at large.

Furthermore, these malls are typically located on major roads with easy freeway connection, yet surrounded by low density development. The opportunities to redevelop into a high density micro city are within easy reach. These mall cities could be the residential/recreational hub of the city, with additional jobs on the fringes.

Anyone else think this is a good idea? Would it work, or just be a depressing place to live?

We often hear about these fantasy "skyscraper cities". A giant mixed-use skyscraper that has office, residential, retail, it's own transit-like service and all of the amenities that residents could ever need. These are pitched as self contained communities all within one building. You often see proposals like these for places like Tokyo or Hong Kong.

This got me thinking. We have several dead or nearly dead malls in Nashville and countless across America. What if these malls were transformed into communities. I think they are nearly perfect. The existing buildings already have a "central business district" built into them. What was the main shopping corridor could house everything from retail, to office space, doctors, cleaners, groceries, schools and whatever else a community would need. They typically have natural light and wide walkways. These malls all have massive "anchor" structures on four corners. Granted, the anchors are mostly enclosed space with little natural light. I envision these as gathering spaces for individual communities. You could build high rise residential around each anchor. These structures could be typical residential units that wrap around each anchor to form one "neighborhood" within the greater "mall city". Each neighborhood could use the anchor space as an entertainment area with bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, grocery stores, big box stores, community centers, office space and potentially even manufacturing uses on the lower floors. Even sports arenas, like we now see (in micro scale) at Hickory Hollow Mall. Things that don't necessarilly need natural light.

Where these apartments feed to the outside could be green space where there once was parking lots. These green spaces should be vast, allowing residents to enjoy the outdoors with parks, playgrounds, water features, dog parks, and sports facilities (tennis, basketball, tracks, etc).

It would all be a walkable, self contained, climate controlled community. Parking structures could be built underground or at the base of the towers. I can even see a heavy rail station connecting the community to the greater city at large.

Furthermore, these malls are typically located on major roads with easy freeway connection, yet surrounded by low density development. The opportunities to redevelop into a high density micro city are within easy reach. These mall cities could be the residential/recreational hub of the city, with additional jobs on the fringes.

Anyone else think this is a good idea? Would it work, or just be a depressing place to live?

You mean like this? http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/micro-lofts-residents-live-large-historic-ri-mall-article-1.1949486

I think it could work.

I think it could work, the question is how do you get it done, I don't think developers or cities (much less lenders) are thinking on these lines.

Arcology_zps9494b895.jpg

Your idea is a lot like those of Paolo Soleri except he had an uninspiring communitarian ideology that would have us all living like bees.  I've always thought a properly designed mall would be a cool place to live.

Well, yes and no. For one, I'm not a fan of micro-housing. I know it fits a niche, I just don't want to see it become the standard. More importantly, I'm not really envisioning a shopping mall converted to residences (as shown in the 4th or so picture in that article), im talking about the "mall" acting as a "Main Street" to a larger community.

But, not to be ungrateful, I appreciate you sharing the link. That is the basic idea.

• 2 months later...

bringing the topic of closing lower Broadway to traffic from the earlier discussion.   It really got me thinking. it is the most touristy area of town. and with increasing numbers of tourist maybe include 2nd too. and I've always thought the empty lot between 3rd and 4th should be a plaza to the symphony center.  so all that together and this is what I came up with.

I see it with pavers of varying color.  everything in base tan below would be part of the project including a few yards of commerce because there are no driveways there.

Close Broadway from 5th to 1st, and 2nd from Broadway to Church.  fountain directly in front of the Symphony.

3rd and 4th are one way, possibly make 3rd wider by eliminating the western sidewalk all together north of Broadway. 

16329090200_57cbab7879_o.jpgbroad2nd by willfry, on Flickr

the outline of the guitar continues north and south of Broadway on 3rd with pavers inlaid in the pavement. 

the tuning knobs could be 3D and actually stick out of the pavement. and the word at the top of the guitar is Nashville.  could you imagine the numbers of tourists taking pictures there in the middle of the day?

this project would be the full width of the current street and sidewalk, and it would all be redone.

That's awesome volsfanwill! I really like that idea. The only thing left to do would be to add some dang landscaping. I don't understand why the city can't add some trees to Broadway like on 2nd Ave. I mean hell, how bout some shrubs or something lol. 

That's awesome volsfanwill! I really like that idea. The only thing left to do would be to add some dang landscaping. I don't understand why the city can't add some trees to Broadway like on 2nd Ave. I mean hell, how bout some shrubs or something lol. 

More trees for birds to roost in, and then poop on you, and more trees for the homeless to urinate in.

Archived