Nashville proposals from site members

NashvilleTaylor

No negativism here is intended to counter any landscaping suggestions, but as a whole, I have gotten to the point of conviction of having a half dozen trees cut down in my own yard, above pavement, because of the constant bird poop that get's tracked everywhere.

I love trees, and the intrinsic benefits that come along with having them, but I believe that the trees along Church St. DT are reason enough for me to want them to go away.  While Metro does come along with their pressure-washer trucks and scour down the sidewalks periodically (and in some cases daily), the roostings and perchings are a major nuisance, which has me trying to avoid treading along the concrete walkways laden with that stuff, at every last tree.  I think trees are best kept away alone from the DT sidewalks (and from any other paved heavy pedestrian paths), and are best suited for grassy areas only, such as micro-parks and greenways.  Besides, these trees eventually grow too big for the gratings surrounding them, eventually heaving the pavement (as VU knows too well within its campus).

Those slender silhouette trees seen planted along 3rd Ave N. beside the CJC bldg. are IMO a decent compromise for DT landscaping with trees, as these tend to grow up but with a rather small lateral spread, compared to most species.  I don't know what species these along that section of 3rd belong to, but they remind me of Street Spire or the Crimson Spire (columnar oaks with elongated acorns) which I believe are sufficiently stable for the hardiness zone of this geographic region.  Their root system is not as aggressive as most, their spread generally being constrained rather than sprawled.

-==-

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually considered trees along broadway, but then I realized they would actually ruin the great pictures with all the neon signs. planters at the ends would be necessary to keep traffic out. like the ones in front of government buildings. 

again, I was thinking in terms of what tourist want since this is their area. Also, they would block views of the stages when they are set up at either end of the street.

I love the addition of Paramount. Subtle.

I didn,t mention it on purpose, hoping yall would notice.

Archived