City and County...

Jernigan

More or less a rant...

It seems like every day I see a headline "Orlando man shot," "Orlando home burglarized," "Drug bust in Orlando neighborhood"

Only to read further and see "Orange County deputies responded to..." "Home in East a Orange County" "Orange Conty man"

Very frustrating. Is this something anyone else is annoyed by? Is it something that makes sense for the City to try to coach the media on? Perception can be reality and while Orlando certainly has its own crime, it's often other parts of town that are making the news for the really weird stuff.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More or less a rant...

It seems like every day I see a headline "Orlando man shot," "Orlando home burglarized," "Drug bust in Orlando neighborhood"

Only to read further and see "Orange County deputies responded to..." "Home in East a Orange County" "Orange Conty man"

Very frustrating. Is this something anyone else is annoyed by? Is it something that makes sense for the City to try to coach the media on? Perception can be reality and while Orlando certainly has its own crime, it's often other parts of town that are making the news for the really weird stuff.

Probably not, there's a fair amount of positive press out of Windemere, Winter Park, Disney, etc, and those are called "Orlando" too; if we try to drop the bad, we'll lose the good too. And I think its more good out of it then bad. While we see the headlines a lot locally, on the national stage, I don't think people view Orlando as a dangerous city on any level. Perhaps a place with some weird crime.

More or less a rant...

I'll bite...is this online or on the air? I don't read many crime stories online...but on the air I've seen the station I watch do a decent job...mistakes every now and then on county vs city but usually OK.

Often times the broadcast news will say Orlando but then put OC in writing in the headline during the clip.

Where it's more noticeable is twitter. The tweet will say Orlando and when you click-through you get the right description in the article. So anyone who doesn't click through or even those who do may have that impression stuck.

Often times the broadcast news will say Orlando but then put OC in writing in the headline during the clip.

Where it's more noticeable is twitter. The tweet will say Orlando and when you click-through you get the right description in the article. So anyone who doesn't click through or even those who do may have that impression stuck.

OK so first problem is you should only watch local news on mute...it's the only way to keep you sanity. And yes I think I do see..err. hear...them do that sometimes. I'll keep my eye out on twitter...but you should call them out when you see it on Twitter...eventually they will listen. My guess is a lot of News Directors probably don't watch their Twitter accounts like they watch their air...they also sometimes just watch the air on mute (again I highly recommend :P ). Most ND hate when reporters/producers get something like that wrong...because it's so easy.

Yes national media will always lump us all together as "Orlando." I'm OK with that...happens to all areas... but our local media should just be consistent.

The Orlando/OC stuff has never bothered me.

What I think is funny, though, is when I see a headline of "Orlando man..." and it turns out he's in Winter Park or Maitland.

I think it's simply a matter of grabbing the attention of the largest possible audience and hitting the right keywords.

• 3 months later...

Archived