New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, TheOneRJ said:

There desperately needs to be a logo somewhere right there. No one knows that’s an Omni unless you’re looking at the top of the building. 

There's actually a pretty huge logo just a bit further down. The angle of the photo hides it. 

• 3 weeks later...

^^^ The California delegation was staying at the Blake and they complained wildly about the poor condition it was in during their stay.   We are definitely better on hotels uptown now and in the near future.  Plus there has been an explosion of new hotels 125-150 room hotels all over the city in every direction for overflow.   

The Hyatt Place at Skye condos is new since 2012 too I think. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ The California delegation was staying at the Blake and they complained wildly about the poor condition it was in during their stay.   We are definitely better on hotels uptown now and in the near future.  Plus there has been an explosion of new hotels 125-150 room hotels all over the city in every direction for overflow.   

The Hyatt Place at Skye condos is new since 2012 too I think. 

I thought that we were keeping NC California-free. I guess not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW:

I am in the process of organizing a small (about 250) uptown conference in the fall of 2019. Its still early in the hotel negotiations process but so far I am shocked by the lack of meeting space availability (particularly given our flexible dates).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to the day when Charlotte is big enough, mature enough a market and respected enough to compete with the likes of other peer cities like Nashville, Indianapolis and Minneapolis.

Each one of those cities have many more hotel rooms and national recognition than does Charlotte.

I just got back from Nashville today. Spent the whole weekend there for a wedding. I always knew it was a popular destination with a booming population growth as well, but I didn't know to which degree. I was thoroughly impressed with its night life scene, how pedestrian/cyclist-friendly it was, etc.  Its downtown being built on a river definitely earned it some points. I think we counted like, 14 cranes in and around its center. It had very niche neighborhoods with fantastic restaurants. Charlotte couldn't possible compare other than I would most certainly take both of our sports teams over theirs. Also incidentally stumbled into a gay pride parade. I saw a group of Westboro Baptist-esque protesters holding signs saying "homo sex is sin." I got a good kick out of laughing at those people. 

Transportation/light rail:

Charlotte > Nashville

Carolina Panthers vs Titans:

Charlotte > Nashville

Hornets vs Predators:

Nashville > Charlotte

Skyline:

Charlotte (by far) > Nashville

Literally everything else:

Nashville > Charlotte

Charlotte's got 'em beat in some categories. Baby steps.

• Like 2

I’ve been to Nashville before, Going again this weekend to see family. Nothing super impressive, Overrated IMHO. Charlotte doesn’t have their Nightlife, But other than that they can keep what they have. I’m comfortable with our larger population, better neighborhoods, airport, skyline, etc.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JBS said:

I like Nashville a lot.  In particular, the aforementioned river and the topography (hills and rock).  I disagree with some of the rest of your assessments though.  The Preds have been good recently but I'd (personally) much rather have an NBA team.  Conversely, Panthers=Titans (except I like BOA better and our short-term prospects might be better)-both are NFL teams, we've never had back to back winning seasons,  how is one better?  Proximity to the coast is better here.  I also don't happen to enjoy the Myrtle Beach-like atmosphere in downtown Nashville.  Traffic is awful (it can be here also but my experience is that it's worse there overall).  It's a bit warmer here in the winter and a bit cooler in the summer.  Again, great city.  But to say "literally everything else" in Nashville is better is not true in my opinion.  I prefer Charlotte.    

Yeah, but twice we have had back-to-back non-losing seasons... ('05-'06 and '08-'09) Hoping 2018 breaks the chain on winning seasons.

Edited by pgsinger

I can’t remember if there is a specific thread for the Convention Center (didn’t see one on search) but since we’ve been discussing a potential 1000 room hotel and/or CC redevelopment along with Duke Data Center property, here’s a photo to illustrate both properties:

1ABC1526-3E5E-429A-8C5E-4BDDA7F07CB5.jpeg

Is is there any possibility of upward expansion of the CC itself?

Edited by Matthew.Brendan
  • Like 2

Due to the need for large clear span space in a convention center it is hard to go up very much except for some ballrooms and breakout rooms.  Every convention center I have ever seen or been in is a sprawling 1-2 story building think Georgia World Congress Center or the huge San Antonio Convention center.   That is why the convention center hotel may go on the Duke data center site and they will save the land across from the NASCAR HOF that is a surface lot as future expansion.  That lot is behind the Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Inn. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Due to the need for large clear span space in a convention center it is hard to go up very much except for some ballrooms and breakout rooms.  Every convention center I have ever seen or been in is a sprawling 1-2 story building think Georgia World Congress Center or the huge San Antonio Convention center.   That is why the convention center hotel may go on the Duke data center site and they will save the land across from the NASCAR HOF that is a surface lot as future expansion.  That lot is behind the Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Inn. 

Only way to upgrade our convention center is to build anew. Its impossible to compete at its current format, and without some significant reworking, its likely impossible to expand the exhibition space.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

All that empty Levine land will come in handy one day... Maybe 50 years from now when it is still empty we can put the new convention center there.

We need it in 5 years, not 50. Honestly, I'm not sure that we are a 1000 room hotel from better conventions. We just don't have the exhibitions space, which is what wins the big conventions, along with the hotel space.

Edited by Guest

I was mostly just joking about Levine, but you have now peaked my interest.  Have you heard rumors that the city is actually considering something like this or are you mostly just spit-balling?  I am with you, but jokingly threw out 50 years just assuming there wouldn't be political will for something like this in the near future.  Do you think there is political will for a new convention center in the short to intermediate term?  I assume not if they are adding the 1000 room hotel to the existing site (unless that is all part of the master plan to build a new convention center and 1000 room hotel elsewhere).

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I was mostly just joking about Levine, but you have now peaked my interest.  Have you heard rumors that the city is actually considering something like this or are you mostly just spit-balling?  I am with you, but jokingly threw out 50 years just assuming there wouldn't be political will for something like this in the near future.  Do you think there is political will for a new convention center in the short to intermediate term?  I assume not if they are adding the 1000 room hotel to the existing site (unless that is all part of the master plan to build a new convention center and 1000 room hotel elsewhere).

I think the city thinks the convention center is adequate, otherwise they wouldn't be willing to put up $100M toward a new hotel. I think if you look at cities with 1000 room hotels, you'll find the vast majority sport WAY more exhibition space than Charlotte.