New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

6 minutes ago, j-man said:

I think whats most exciting about this hotel is that it will be covering the wonder wall up. Its the tackiest thing that you see coming into Uptown. 

Interesting, I’ve only ever heard praise for wonder wall

On 11/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, MothBeast said:

Interesting, I’ve only ever heard praise for wonder wall

Correction...I don't think it is bad itself but for its use I do think it is somewhat tacky. Just too much going on. A nice screening like the one on the way Vantage SouthEnd looks would have been much better since the apartment already has so much color going on with it. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 2:43 PM, KJHburg said:

Does anyone know if the new Element by Westin behind the Whole Foods will they knock down these concrete stairwells or use them?  and a photo of the Wonder Wall. 

IMG_5810.JPG

IMG_5811.JPG

I would think that the permits filed to date (building, no demo permits), and the fact that they did not file anything with the planning department, would  suggest they plan to proceed with what I would imagine is very close to the original design. There is also only 3 less hotel rooms than the original design.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:27 AM, j-man said:

That area is such a bad spot in my opinion.  I think that lot is too complicated for what they were trying to achieve. Like why try to build two hotels on that oh so not appealing area. The  entryway and garage for that whole development seems so tacky and not coordinated. It would have been better as one hotel with its own parking above or underground. 

There are 1800 parking spaces next door, why in the world would they need anymore parking.

Edited by TheRealClayton
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

I would think that the permits filed to date (building, no demo permits), and the fact that they did not file anything with the planning department, would  suggest they plan to proceed with what I would imagine is very close to the original design. There is also only 3 less hotel rooms than the original design.

There are 1800 parking spaces next door, why in the world would they need anymore parking.

You're missing my point. Im saying that the parking next door should have never included the hotels in the count for parking in the first place when they were building it. I think the hotels should have their own. It just seems to. busy having all that in one parking garage. 

3 hours ago, j-man said:

You're missing my point. Im saying that the parking next door should have never included the hotels in the count for parking in the first place when they were building it. I think the hotels should have their own. It just seems to. busy having all that in one parking garage. 

When I lived there the amount of confusion with hotel guests trying to park and get to the hotel was unreal. I’m talking people riding up and down the apartment resident only elevators trying to get to there hotel room and me trying to explain that they need to go down to the lobby and walk down the street. Utter confusion on their faces. This happen multiple times….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SouthernSkyline said:

When I lived there the amount of confusion with hotel guests trying to park and get to the hotel was unreal. I’m talking people riding up and down the apartment resident only elevators trying to get to there hotel room and me trying to explain that they need to go down to the lobby and walk down the street. Utter confusion on their faces. This happen multiple times….

Thank you!! That’s my point! I’ve parked here for Whole Foods a few times and it take just seems like too much is going on. I parked next to hotel guests and they asked me were they in the right spot and I said i don’t know. Sure there are signs but i absolutely feel like the entire block was planned poorly. Great addition to Uptown but they could have done a lot better, especially with still having some of the garage exposed and not completely hidden. And the weird apartment angles and elevations aren’t that appealing to look at. 

8 minutes ago, j-man said:

Thank you!! That’s my point! I’ve parked here for Whole Foods a few times and it take just seems like too much is going on. I parked next to hotel guests and they asked me were they in the right spot and I said i don’t know. Sure there are signs but i absolutely feel like the entire block was planned poorly. Great addition to Uptown but they could have done a lot better, especially with still having some of the garage exposed and not completely hidden. And the weird apartment angles and elevations aren’t that appealing to look at. 

Wayfinding can easily be fixed. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Now, the only “stalled” hotel of the big three left to resume is the intercontinental! The stonewall and the Ellis hotel are back, let’s go Carolina theater hotel. And honestly if this thing does resume, will be my favorite project in all of Charlotte. Just knowing the hoops and time this entire project has endured. 

Intercontinental is my favorite also (Radius being a close second).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Now, the only “stalled” hotel of the big three left to resume is the intercontinental! The stonewall and the Ellis hotel are back, let’s go Carolina theater hotel. And honestly if this thing does resume, will be my favorite project in all of Charlotte. Just knowing the hoops and time this entire project has endured. 

Agreed that Intercontinental is the "stalled" hotel that I am most hoping to resume.  

Having said that it's more important from a visual aspect that the Ellis hotel and Stonewall hotel are being completed.

At least with the Intercontinental hotel, it wouldn't be immediately obvious that it is a stalled project.

• Like 4