New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

13 minutes ago, JBS said:

I have zero problem with 2 flags. My problem is with the abhorrent architecture on the Home 2 Suites building. It's the worst looking new building erected Uptown in my 18 years here (despite some stiff competition). 

I mean, WTF?!? home2-2.thumb.jpg.727c10f7c309d643dabba45fecd85cd7.jpg

Definitely grim!  It has street level retail so a little saving grace?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Charlotte uptown has some ugly hotels there I said it.  You want nice looking hotels look at anything recently built in downtown Savannah.  But the Home2Suites is open and has lots of ground floor retails and this new Element hotel will block the view from 277 and points south.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have zero problem with 2 flags. My problem is with the abhorrent architecture on the Home 2 Suites building. It's the worst looking new building erected Uptown in my 18 years here (despite some stiff competition). 
I mean, WTF?!? http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_04/home2-2.thumb.jpg.727c10f7c309d643dabba45fecd85cd7.jpg

Complaints on architecture are all based on style and taste preferences some people may find it very classy and simple and there is beauty in simplicity. Now I get the copy past thing but I don’t think this is a signature hotel by no means… it’s decent for what it is. Not ugly but not making a statement. People used to protest brick buildings…
  • Like 1

Well we will have to agree to disagree. It's putrid and the architect should lose their license. Of course complaints are about taste, what else? I seriously doubt anyone finds this eyesore "very classy" and the design isn't simple (simple I could handle). Where can I read about those brick building protests? 

We get tired of designs and seeing things that are repetitive or too plane. Your complaint isn’t invalid. Simply it is a consistent complaint I see. I say that to counter that idea because truly designing building isn’t just an art nor is it just all about functionality. This hotel looks like a hotel. May not be as majestic as others in uptown but it is nonetheless (I’m sure) functional (not elegant or extra a but at least simple in design and relatively clean).

I used brick merely as an example. We have limited materials that are safe, functional, and cost effective.

People view companies as different than people, but obviously that is a misconception. Companies are run by people and therefore act in accordance to the owners and how the people within that company make decisions. Just like any one of us: we will try our best to find the cheapest functional way to make something functional. Homes and Suites isn’t out there trying to make a statement with their architecture. They are a franchise and most franchises love to copy paste.

Now would I love diverse, dynamic, and interesting architecture? Yes, of course. From a cost stand point though, I would make it as simple as possible and not spend too much on aesthetics if not absolutely necessary.

Here’s what I was referring to in terms of “protesting bricks” I simply meant how they fell out of favor or were seen as “copy paste” in the past and now they are popular.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/realestate/brick-buildings-new-york.html

“ Brick, long viewed as a symbol of homeyness, has gone in and out of vogue, according to Andrew S. Dolkart, a professor of historic preservation at Columbia University. ‘The heyday of brick use was the 1880s. Bricks fell a bit out of favor in the early 20th century,’ Mr. Dolkart said. But then, in the ’50s and ’60s, ‘white brick became popular.’ “

Architects can only design on a budget. So, here I see nothing wrong with the architect themselves.

One last example. The new library, the architecture there is absolutely dynamic and unique and almost mimics that fountains outside the current library. I think it is fantastic in architecture, yet some disagree and see it as tacky or- I can’t remember exactly what I’ve seen said about it. Its all perspective and subjective. It’s better to judge more about the buildings interaction with the community and what surrounds it in a pedestrian scale as well as functionally rather than looks. There are some really bad designs out there, but this isn’t one of them. Plain and boring (sure, to whoever sees it that way).
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JBS said:

Well we will have to agree to disagree. It's putrid and the architect should lose their license. Of course complaints are about taste, what else? I seriously doubt anyone finds this eyesore "very classy" and the design isn't simple (simple I could handle). Where can I read about those brick building protests? 

I mean, have you seen some of the garbage being built in New York? It's not like hotel architecture isn't ugly across the globe. The only time you will see great hotel architecture is if there is money or historic-rehab

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JBS said:

I mean, WTF?!? home2-2.thumb.jpg.727c10f7c309d643dabba45fecd85cd7.jpg

It does look like a hotel that should be next to the airport or in a shopping plaza next to an AppleBees. 

3 hours ago, RANYC said:

IMO, downtown is about people, getting them together safely and soundly in density and in social assembly.  Structures are secondary.  I'll take the actual people occupying this structure who then can patronize uptown businesses, walk uptown's streets, attend its performances right now, over a car lot any day of the week.  

Btw, you can have this structure now with its stack of actual people in Uptown, and still hope for something better to replace it down the road when the market compels it. 

I mean that’s all nice and dandy but who really would want development popping up all over Uptown that looks like this just to say you have a building and not a lot….that’s kind of far fetched. Because if everything looked like this, who would want to be here.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, j-man said:

It does look like a hotel that should be next to the airport or in a shopping plaza next to an AppleBees. 

I mean that’s all nice and dandy but who really would want development popping up all over Uptown that looks like this just to say you have a building and not a lot….that’s kind of far fetched. Because if everything looked like this, who would want to be here.

Same goes for a downtown of nothing but lots.  Assuming everyone shares your taste and hates this building and finds it so repugnant they don’t wish to be near it even if it has pedestrian engagement at street-level, I’d still argue having it there as an access channel for its occupants to be in uptown is better than a surface lot not set up to house uptown occupants.

Just a thought…..I think that the 1,000 hotel,  should have gone where the Embassy Suites is across from NASCAR HOF. Was just uptown and was thinking about how small that hotel is and then how it would have been the perfect location for the 1000 room hotel to be since it’s so close to the convention center. Because what other spot is left at this point unless they demolish that building on the same lot with the convention center and build right next to it.. The ES there now is ok but it doesn’t really have much activity there and too little retail. I absolutely hate the side that has no retail, just a huge blank wall. Sure the garage isn’t exposed but it could have had some type of art there at least.

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

Nah, theoretical 1k convention hotel should be located in either red circle (if we’re talking about this area vs potential entertainment district). Preferably where the data center is. The lot behind the Madison is owned by the convention center too I believe for future expansion. Would have direct access to the CC through the Nhof. Really wish that lot would be developed though. Would help the vibe of that intersection out a lot. 

(Pie in the sky thought): after several companies left that tower, I was thinking an office to hotel conversion would be unique and that tower could be a mini convention hotel. Could get 100s of rooms if converted I bet. They probably should have made that a hotel over office tower from the get-go anyways. Revolving door of travelers and hotel guests would have increased annual ticket sales of the museum too. 
430F0E37-F579-424E-8B8D-0E6691693BE1.jpeg.8dd8ee183606a44b03223c7cb4df42df.jpeg

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Nah, theoretical 1k convention hotel should be located in either red circle (if we’re talking about this area vs potential entertainment district). Preferably where the data center is. The lot behind the Madison is owned by the convention center too I believe for future expansion. Would have direct access to the CC through the Nhof. Really wish that lot would be developed though. Would help the vibe of that intersection out a lot. 

(Pie in the sky thought): after several companies left that tower, I was thinking an office to hotel conversion would be unique and that tower could be a mini convention hotel. Could get 100s of rooms if converted I bet. They probably should have made that a hotel over office tower from the get-go anyways. Revolving door of travelers and hotel guests would have increased annual ticket sales of the museum too. 
430F0E37-F579-424E-8B8D-0E6691693BE1.jpeg.8dd8ee183606a44b03223c7cb4df42df.jpeg

Where the data center is, was what I mentioned briefly and I too think that it would be best to go there. It’s the closest you can get to the convention center without having to cross the street, and would give that area some major life and foot traffic. DE2 will bring some retail in the back so this could add some more and bring loads of people and it would create a vibrant atmosphere because this street is pretty dead until you get to the epicenter, and even now, that’s dead.  And just think of how small that space is, they would be forced to make that a really tall tower. And depending how they would do the parking, I would assume that it would this tower, having that many rooms and being on that little lot, that it would be hands down the tallest hotel in all of the Carolinas. I would say at least 40 stories. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

More than 18 years but this disaster (left side of photo) of eifs with holes punched in the surface is something I avoid facing if i can. 

There is a paint scheme on the surface today that attempts to relieve the endless surface. This building suggests it is the best hotel to leap to one's death. It has a matching unrelieved depression. Drugs may improve one's mood but do nothing to improve this.

867299-Large-aerialview.jpg.6137d3af2d957791149e20689f4a7ce1.jpg

I agree. Second Ward contains some of the ugliest buildings in Uptown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...