New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Element is rising at Stonewall Station. 

I like how the Francis looks where the Whole Foods and this looks better than its lookalike in Raleigh at North Hills.   and that retail strip on bottom floors of the Home2Suites hotel.   By the way there is a convention in town as I saw badged people walking all over this over.  

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

Can someone explain the construction methodology they are using?  Why is the main building seemly independent of the elevator core?

Can someone explain the construction methodology they are using?  Why is the main building seemly independent of the elevator core?

The elevators are in the center. The outside cores are stairwells I believe. Not sure what you mean by “seemingly independent” otherwise…?
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JeanClt said:

The elevators are in the center. The outside cores are stairwells I believe. Not sure what you mean by “seemingly independent” otherwise…?

image.thumb.png.59b99479eb255be30a56f2fd51257867.png

Maybe its the angle...but aren't the stairwells normally encased in the building design vs on the outside of the core structure.  I need to go back in this thread and see the rendering.  

Edited by DonkeyKong

Maybe its the angle...but aren't the stairwells normally encased in the building design vs on the outside of the core structure.  I need to go back in this thread and see the rendering.  

Not necessarily, it seems that the core is not a significant load bearing structure. It is a frame structure which bears its own load into the foundation instead of the main core so the stairwells can be on the outside. The Hotel next to the Ellis is being constructed similarly and from the aerial shots in the Ellis thread the stairwells are also on the “outside” of the main structure.

Kind of like…a parking deck.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DonkeyKong said:

You'll see this a lot in hotels, especially the kind of economically mid-level ones. Next time you go to like a Holiday Inn or basic Sheraton or something like that, if you look for them you'll probably see the stairwells on the exterior walls. Not 100% sure if it's just easier for room layout that way or it has something to do with fire code requirements, but it's common.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I have a feeling this building is going to be ugly as sin

Element Hotels are pretty much all hideous on the outside. There is a cool one in Bali. The rest look like this... which I guess is better than the wasteland construction site we had:
Prescient Co Inc

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

"Express Bail Bonds 24 hour service"

Some years ago there was a person who worked in the bail bond business who lived in a condo in Dilworth and drove the company car as his personal transportation as the business is truly 24 hours on call. The transportation itself was a white mildly stretched limousine. Sadly, I cannot recall the name of the company, but as I said at the time that I wanted to leave the jail in that specific vehicle if I were a bad boy for an evening. I have a lawyer in my phone queue but not a bondsman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Glad to see Element & Homewood making progress.  Anyone else besides me think that there may/will be a hotel boom outside of Uptown (Mostly in SouthEnd and some Midtown) before we see many more announced or started Uptown?  

Yes I think with the 2 recent hotels underway uptown it may be a while.  I think Southend is primed for hotels with all the office space and corporate travel coming back soon not to mention leisure travel which is very strong.   Remember we just had a JW Marriott open recently and it has almost 400 rooms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes I think with the 2 recent hotels underway uptown it may be a while.  I think Southend is primed for hotels with all the office space and corporate travel coming back soon not to mention leisure travel which is very strong.   Remember we just had a JW Marriott open recently and it has almost 400 rooms. 

I thought hotel construction was underway in South End on Hawkins, across from the Line?

5 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I thought hotel construction was underway in South End on Hawkins, across from the Line?

It is and there is a hotel of course planned atop the Vantage Southend garage and maybe another one in the works.  Not sure of the brand on the Hawkins one. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Is the Moxy back on? If the CTC development happens it should be a no brainer. 

28 minutes ago, stw52 said:

Is the Moxy back on? If the CTC development happens it should be a no brainer. 

they say the Moxy is back on not sure when it will break ground or open but the developer says it a go.  I did forget that one. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte is going just Berserk on Multifamily Apartments, full-tilt on Townhomes, ‘HAM’ on Office but seems to be  anemic on Retail & Hotel Development.  Glad Homewood Suites & Element in Charlotte are chugging along even though COVID-19 has tried to destroy both industries.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Charlotte is going just Berserk on Multifamily Apartments, full-tilt on Townhomes, ‘HAM’ on Office but seems to be  anemic on Retail & Hotel Development.  Glad Homewood Suites & Element in Charlotte are chugging along even though COVID-19 has tried to destroy both industries.

No condos either 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...