New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

4 hours ago, Jayvee said:

While this thread is revived....here is my current inventory of "Coming Soon" hotels uptown

Kimpton
Home2Suites
Embassy Suites
Homewood Suites
Canopy
AC Hotel
Residence Inn
Springhill Suites
Grand Bohemian
Ivey's Boutique Hotel
Charlotte Observer Site
Crescent Stonewall 2 (Likely a Hyatt Centric)
Tryon Place (Likely a Loews)

Add NCMF hotel and Carolina Theater 

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

9 hours ago, Jayvee said:

While this thread is revived....here is my current inventory of "Coming Soon" hotels uptown

Kimpton
Home2Suites
Embassy Suites
Homewood Suites
Canopy
AC Hotel
Residence Inn
Springhill Suites
Grand Bohemian
Ivey's Boutique Hotel
Charlotte Observer Site
Crescent Stonewall 2 (Likely a Hyatt Centric)
Tryon Place (Likely a Loews)

Charlotte Observer Site Hotel. Is that just your speculation? I'm just curious how far along, or advanced, are the plans for the Charlotte Observer land and whether it will even be developed this cycle.

One would expect the Charlotte Observer would have more details than what has been published thus far.

9 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Charlotte Observer Site Hotel. Is that just your speculation? I'm just curious how far along, or advanced, are the plans for the Charlotte Observer land and whether it will even be developed this cycle.

One would expect the Charlotte Observer would have more details than what has been published thus far.

Let's call it educated speculation and speculation from people in the know. It's a huge site. There isn't a use that won't be represented on this site.

Personally, I'd predict the largest hotel built in the city in 12 years to be built at the corner of Tryon and stonewall. It's just a block from the convention center and a block from Bank Of America Stadium and next door to Duke Energy, who is getting more and more of a nation presence and could benefit from having a hotel next door, like BofA does with the Ritz.

I'd expect 600-800 rooms of hotel, whether single or multiple hotels, 400-500 residences, 500k office, 125k retail and .75 acre open space at full build out. There's what... 12 acres? That's huge for uptown, any less than these specs and I'd be mad.

Edited by Guest

On 11/30/2015, 5:06:11, cltbwimob said:

Yes we do ask that question all the time.  It's just that in August the announcement was supposed to come by September, in September the announcement was supposed to come by the end of October, then in October it was supposed to come by the end of November, now here it is the last day of November, and no announcement.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Consider the source. Rumor and innuendo are fun to read and speculate on, but I don't think there has been an official notice of when they will announce the hotel details. Even if I'm wrong about this particular project, that's the general case of "don't we ask that question with every single project"? Then again, I remember the chorus of people who jumped to defend this a few months back (not you of course, just saying). I treat everything I see on here as just a rumor. Until I read it in an established news outlet, it's not true.

3 hours ago, jednc said:

Consider the source. Rumor and innuendo are fun to read and speculate on, but I don't think there has been an official notice of when they will announce the hotel details. Even if I'm wrong about this particular project, that's the general case of "don't we ask that question with every single project"? Then again, I remember the chorus of people who jumped to defend this a few months back (not you of course, just saying). I treat everything I see on here as just a rumor. Until I read it in an established news outlet, it's not true.

Nice to see your smiling cheery face around here again Jednc. You should treat everything as a rumor, things change, I never claimed my info was concrete info. This will be a very complicated project, it will take a while to fully flesh out. Based on the size, and price of the land, it will have to be complicated and large, to justify purchase price. 

I've shared info I've acquired from acquaintances, and contacts, some who work closely with developers, some who work in the media, some who just share similar interests. I've also shared items that can be found in articles. This is a 9 acre plot of land, in the most desirable part of town, South Tryon. I don't expect things to happen quickly, I would expect Lincoln Harris to be meticulous and careful and i expect everyone to be wowed.

To add some reasoning into my speculation. They have lined up Goldman Sachs as a Financier, suggesting this project will not be a small fish. Which we already know, based on the purchase price, it literally has to be a BIG PROJECT. Also, their hire of Ridr Knowlton (http://www.lincolnharris.com/People/Bios/Ridr_Knowlton.html) known for landing and leasing big companies and filling large blocks of space, suggests that Lincoln Harris is going include a large amount of office between this and the Cato Project. Another reason for my office speculation is the visibility from 277 and the southwest. Crescent (Tryon Place) and Trinity (615 South College) have both used the idea that you can slap a logo on their building and 169k people (drivers per day on 277) are going to have direct visibility of your logo every single day. 

Hotel speculation comes from a reliable source, but also makes since based on location in relationship to Duke, Wells Fargo, the Convention Center, the Panthers Stadium and visibility from I-277. The city always says its a 1000 room hotel away from snagging some big events. Quite frankly, they are running out of lots within a block or two of the Convention Center, so whats a better spot than this. Its also the second easiest sector to finance.

Retail Speculation comes from Lincoln Harris' Track Record of late. These are great mixed use projects on much cheaper land.

• Glenwood Place in Raleigh

• Courier Place in Charleston

Residential Speculation comes from the fact that Residential is the easiest to finance of everything mentioned above.

Honestly, I don't know why you chose to come in here and talk smack about the people who are trying to provide interesting, factual and worthwhile content. Part of the fun of this site is sharing speculation with eachother. This isn't just a site for leaking information before the media gets it, its about having a discussion about projects in uptown, and the rest of the center city their how they affect the culture and urban fabric of those areas. I'm sorry if I've rubbed you the wrong way somehow. Theres a lot of information that I'm dying to share, because urban planning and charlotte are passions of mine. This has proven a great avenue for this, god knows I cannot talk to my wife about it.

Honestly, if all we did was get on here and regurgitate observer, agenda, and business journal articles, this site would be boring as hell. Hell, in reality it's the opposite, how often do you see information we dug up in the media. Pretty often.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about/ have any experience staying at a Vib hotel by Best Western?  Apparently it's a relatively new boutique hotel concept.

More importantly, does anyone have info on the one that Charlotte is supposed to get?  I've now read several stories that say Best Western is actively negotiating a deal in Charlotte including one that indicated that a deal would likely soon be announced.  

Here is one of the articles:

http://m.hotelbusiness.com/links/mobile/m_news_02.php?ID=51590

For those in the know, is Cambria officially out of the picture at Crescent Stonewall?  If it is are they planning to build elsewhere?  I saw that they hired a regional manager and pre-sales rep for the area relatively recently, so I am assuming this means they intend to build somewhere.

Edited by cltbwimob

4 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

For those in the know, is Cambria officially out of the picture at Crescent Stonewall?  If it is are they planning to build elsewhere?  I saw that they hired a regional manager and pre-sales rep for the area relatively recently, so I am assuming this means they intend to build somewhere.

I don't know if it's officially out but home2suites is officially in and it would make no sense for them to go here. Hyatt Centric is the brand I've most recently heard for the other hotel

On 12/21/2015 at 8:55 AM, cltbwimob said:

I have a friend who works in development for Cambria. I'm told they expect to build at the Stonewall/South Blvd connector, but not before 2017. 

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

I have a friend who works in development for Cambria. I'm told they expect to build at the Stonewall/South Blvd connector, but not before 2017. 

Sounds like Crescent's property.  Hopefully the combo is Cambria and    Hyatt Centric.  I know Jayvee says that Home2Suites is going there, but I really really hope Home2Suites does not end up on the property.

Edited by cltbwimob

3 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Seems to me that there might be 3 hotels at this intersection. Northwood Ravin might include a hotel, and then the two at Crescent.

• 5 weeks later...