New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

3 hours ago, rancenc said:

Based on this recent article from Axios, the Moxy Hotel seems to be back on track!

https://charlotte.axios.com/303466/charlotte-hotels-are-rebounding/

Moxy just received a land development permit, then will have a building permit soon.  Following building permit, the project will "lock down financing.  If all goes well, the goal is to begin construction this year."  Had no idea financing isn't locked down until after the building permit is issued, lol.  Anyone know how long it will take for a project like this to secure financing, and is he just talking about bank lending or equity investors as well?

• Like 4

Moxy just received a land development permit, then will have a building permit soon.  Following building permit, the project will "lock down financing.  If all goes well, the goal is to begin construction this year."  Had no idea financing isn't locked down until after the building permit is issued, lol.  Anyone know how long it will take for a project like this to secure financing, and is he just talking about bank lending or equity investors as well?

If it’s supposed to start by this year if all goes well then it shouldn’t take long. Securing financing is literally a negotiation so depending on factors like the creditability of the developer the funding can vary wildly. Perhaps a couple of months Or less after it receives building permits if it’s supposed to start in the next 5 months left in the year.

1 hour ago, JeanClt said:

If it’s supposed to start by this year if all goes well then it shouldn’t take long. Securing financing is literally a negotiation so depending on factors like the creditability of the developer the funding can vary wildly. Perhaps a couple of months Or less after it receives building permits if it’s supposed to start in the next 5 months left in the year.

Yes, I read his quotes.  And yes, I get that creditworthiness is a variable in lending.  I'm asking if anyone can independently corroborate the developer's timeline and confidence.  Plenty of developers assert a construction start date/timeframe and get it all wrong once there's a wrinkle in financing that belies timing expectations.  Also, I'm curious if anyone on the inside might now whether this project is being pitched to private investors and perhaps the bank financing is done, or is it all bank financing, or perhaps both types are still up in the air.

• Like 1

If a reimagined CTC and/or new practice facility across the street ever come to fruition, this Moxy hotel might have gotten lucky with this location. Initially, I was a little perplexed out of all the empty lots in Uptown, how the developers chose this one right next to CTC. However, glad to see this back on track. I’ll be able to sleep better at night when I hear movement on the Intercontinental too lol. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, j-man said:

Uptown deserves more larger hotels. That’s all. This is cute but…

Why does Uptown deserve larger?  Do you think developers are getting the market wrong by proposing convenience hotels, boutiques, and those that target a younger demographic?

1 minute ago, tarhoosier said:

I twice rented a car from Avis at the Hilton location and their cars were parked in that area other side of light rail. Seemed an odd use of the real estate.

I've used that counter recently, too - I'm really surprised they aren't keeping the rental cars in part of the parking deck. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...