New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

Would prefer that whatever is being built there be much taller considering how close the square is. I just like the idea of taller buildings being close to the actual center of town. I'll take it though considering its supposed to be four diamond and part of the Marriot Brand of hotels. The Grand Bohemian name is a bit quirky but from the pictures I've see of the Asheville and Orlando hotels it will be a gorgeous hotel and event facility. I see tons of weddings in the future......

Also when did we all stop hoping for the super big names in Charlotte like Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, St.Regis etc. Austin has a Four Seasons of which Im super jealous. Im very happy that uptown is getting the new rooms were getting but I really wish we could up the ante.

Edited by Skyybutter

12 hours ago, Skyybutter said:

Would prefer that whatever is being built there be much taller considering how close the square is. I just like the idea of taller buildings being close to the actual center of town. I'll take it though considering its supposed to be four diamond and part of the Marriot Brand of hotels. The Grand Bohemian name is a bit quirky but from the pictures I've see of the Asheville and Orlando hotels it will be a gorgeous hotel and event facility. I see tons of weddings in the future......

Also when did we all stop hoping for the super big names in Charlotte like Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, St.Regis etc. Austin has a Four Seasons of which Im super jealous. Im very happy that uptown is getting the new rooms were getting but I really wish we could up the ante.

The Grand Bohemian brand is great, 3 of them are AAA four star hotels. We may be getting an Intercontinental above the Carolina Theatre. That would bring another 5 star brand to Uptown in addition to the Ritz Carlton. Mid-size cities are able to support a certain critical mass of expensive hotels - Austin has the Intercontinental and Four Seasons for example in downtown. I think Charlotte could get a Four Seasons some day in Uptown - they have ventured into some mid-size markets like Austin and Denver.

Mandarin Oriental is a LONG way off, if ever. They only have 6 locations in the United States and don't even have hotels in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, or Dallas. St. Regis has 11 locations in the United States, but 6 of those are beach/mountain resorts for the ultra wealthy leisure travel. I'd be surprised if Charlotte joins their 5 urban locations in Atlanta, Houston, Washington DC, New York, and San Francisco before larger cities. They've never ventured into a mid-size market.

Charlotte fits Intercontinental strategy. After that, I think a Grand Hyatt and W Hotel would be a good fit for Charlotte and fit those brands portfolios. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The Grand Bohemian brand is great, 3 of them are AAA four star hotels. We may be getting an Intercontinental above the Carolina Theatre. That would bring another 5 star brand to Uptown in addition to the Ritz Carlton. Mid-size cities are able to support a certain critical mass of expensive hotels - Austin has the Intercontinental and Four Seasons for example in downtown. I think Charlotte could get a Four Seasons some day in Uptown - they have ventured into some mid-size markets like Austin and Denver.

Mandarin Oriental is a LONG way off, if ever. They only have 6 locations in the United States and don't even have hotels in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, or Dallas. St. Regis has 11 locations in the United States, but 6 of those are beach/mountain resorts for the ultra wealthy leisure travel. I'd be surprised if Charlotte joins their 5 urban locations in Atlanta, Houston, Washington DC, New York, and San Francisco before larger cities. They've never ventured into a mid-size market.

Charlotte fits Intercontinental strategy. After that, I think a Grand Hyatt and W Hotel would be a good fit for Charlotte and fit those brands portfolios. 

Austin has a JW too....and Intercontinental will not be a 5 star along the lines of the ritz....darn near close but not quite there. Indy for example has Conrad & JW. Where I think where a big gap is the boutique's. Cities have 5 star boutique hotels that we just don't have (yet, the Ivey's will be a 5 star top of the line). I think the reason Indy & Austin & Denver have leg ups is the events they have there. We don't have enough events here yet to warrant it.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Austin has a JW too....and Intercontinental will not be a 5 star along the lines of the ritz....darn near close but not quite there. Indy for example has Conrad & JW. Where I think where a big gap is the boutique's. Cities have 5 star boutique hotels that we just don't have (yet, the Ivey's will be a 5 star top of the line). I think the reason Indy & Austin & Denver have leg ups is the events they have there. We don't have enough events here yet to warrant it.

Jayvee, what's the status of the Ivey's hotel?  I haven't heard anything recently, and the most recent article I've seen said MRK planned to complete the renovation by this summer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/10/real-estate-firm-secures-loan-for-hotel-project-at.html

1 minute ago, cltcane said:

Jayvee, what's the status of the Ivey's hotel?  I haven't heard anything recently, and the most recent article I've seen said MRK planned to complete the renovation by this summer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/10/real-estate-firm-secures-loan-for-hotel-project-at.html

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/22081/the-historic-iveys-building-uptown-is-being-turned-into-a-boutique-hotel/

It's under construction now. Ton's of work going on. Still on track for completion in the fall (not summer).

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/22081/the-historic-iveys-building-uptown-is-being-turned-into-a-boutique-hotel/

It's under construction now. Ton's of work going on. Still on track for completion in the fall (not summer).

Thanks.  I've not poked my head in to check out the progress in a while, so I wasn't sure how far along they are.  Glad to hear this is still going to be done this year!

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

If Trump ever decides to revive his project from years back, if it included a hotel or hotels would they bear his name only or could he include boutique or big names? Im not familiar too much with his developments and personally don't look for him to revive anything of the scale he was looking at before. 

I also would love to see at least one 30-40 floor hotel in Charlotte. I guess our tallest is the Hilton?

6 minutes ago, Skyybutter said:

If Trump ever decides to revive his project from years back, if it included a hotel or hotels would they bear his name only or could he include boutique or big names? Im not familiar too much with his developments and personally don't look for him to revive anything of the scale he was looking at before. 

I also would love to see at least one 30-40 floor hotel in Charlotte. I guess our tallest is the Hilton?

Westin is our tallest.

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

San Francisco did have a Mandarin Oriental but I think it's now a Loews, the property on Sansome Street.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, cltcane said:

I'd not seen this nighttime rendering (courtesy of the CMC Hotels website) of the new Embassy Suites before.  Has this been posted previously?

Embassy Suites Uptown.jpg

Speaking of CMC, this is so hospital-like that I expect someone having a heart attack to show up thinking its a hospital.

I didn't realize that grey and white were the final colors for some reason. I thought it was a primer coat. This is such a blandtastic building that I think we will quickly forget about it once it's complete. That's not a problem though. Every building doesn't need to be an architectural masterpiece.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Niner National said:

the epicenter and SREE hotels seem to be progressing slowly.

I think they are progressing pretty quickly given the circumstances. 

National hotel chains don't need to spend crap tons of money to throw these buildings up as quickly as possible. Our apartment towers are being built by smaller companies as quickly as possible, so they can be occupied and making money. Our two office towers that are officially vertical have signed tenants to build for (615 will announce tenant very soon, wish I could share whom, but I can't), so they have a obligation to get the buildings up as quick as possible. 

Not to mention the aforementioned buildings are basic squares (even ascent, despite its curves) and being built with plenty of clearance. Springhill Suites by Marriott is wedged in there, is hemmed in by train tracks, will hover over a occupied parking deck. AC/Residence Inn is an odd shape, building from a 10 year old rust bucket, and hovering over a very popular entertainment destination. There are variables to take into account. 

Hey, and if we lose the All Star Game, they really have no incentive to proceed at breakneck speed. 

45 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Hey, and if we lose the All Star Game, they really have no incentive to proceed at breakneck speed. 

I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we will lose the All Star game unless the courts quickly strike down HB2.  Given the obstinate group of legislators we have, I doubt that HB2 will ever be overturned unless the courts overturn it.

Veering back on topic, is there any word on what hotels are actually going to be at a) the theater site in Uptown , and b) Tryon Place?  Also, is there any word that can be shared on the fate of the proposed Indigo uptown?

Edited by cltbwimob