New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

7 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Has there been any developments with the Bohemian?

Ugh, unfortunately not. My understanding is that this is how the company operates. Announces. Gets the ducks in order and then construction starts out of nowhere. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it annoys me due to personal matters. 

That said, everything appears to be good to go here and construction still set to start late this year. 

• 1 month later...
On April 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I am 90% sure Indigo is going elsewhere on Tryon than Tryon Plaza, must to Toz's satisfaction. Not sure the info is public, so can't share any more info.

100% confirmed per the Bizjournal that Indigo will not go in Tryon Plaza.  Any hints as to where else it may go?

• 10 months later...

Not to be outdone by the Grand Bohemian announcement, the developers of the InterContinental are hoping to also break ground soon.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article144480949.html

Glad to see Charlotte get some traction in the luxury and boutique hotel space. I hope to see Charlotte get some more of the JW/Hyatt Regency/Loews types of hotels announced in the near future.

I know Loews, Indigo, W, Cambria, and JW Marriott have all been rumored in the past (actually developers have tried 2 or 3 times to get Indigo into Charlotte but it's never panned out).  Anybody have any rumors or hints about the possibility of these flags opening up in Charlotte?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Subscriber story on the old Barringer Hotel or the old Hall House which housed seniors on North Tryon. It has been vacant for 3 years and the plan is to sell to a hotel developer to redeveloped along with the library etc. 

Quote from article " The Hall House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, opened in 1940 as the Barringer Hotel. The 12-story, red-brick building at 426 N. Tryon St. was an upscale hotel designed in the Art Deco style popular at the time. It served as a hotel for many years but was acquired by the Charlotte Housing Authority in 1981 and converted into public housing" 

The good news is that Charlotte will have a large historic hotel restored. Here is a photo I took in March the red brick hotel is across from the stair stepped 400 North Tryon Transamerica building. 

DSCN0226.JPG

Lots of rooftop space ;) I could see it being an Indigo more than the others not in Charlotte. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm intrigued by the Hotel Barringer/Hall House.

Where were the former "affordable housing" residents there moved?  Does the Housing Authority expect a large profit from the sale?

I have been in Hall House, a few years ago, on a volunteer project.  I don't recall it as being that nice of building inside; it was faded, but not even "faded elegance".  I would expect that it would need a complete renovation and upgrading.  Am I missing something; does the hotel have formerly stunning parts inside that I just didn't see?

32 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I'm intrigued by the Hotel Barringer/Hall House.

Where were the former "affordable housing" residents there moved?  Does the Housing Authority expect a large profit from the sale?

I have been in Hall House, a few years ago, on a volunteer project.  I don't recall it as being that nice of building inside; it was faded, but not even "faded elegance".  I would expect that it would need a complete renovation and upgrading.  Am I missing something; does the hotel have formerly stunning parts inside that I just didn't see?

There is such an urgency to tear down the structures that were a huge part of Charlotte's past. The Barringer is one of the sites. It would be so great if it could be "renovated" and brought back to life an an elegant building from the past. After WWII, my uncle was discharged from the 82nd Airborne and became a bellhop there. He was eventually ran out of town via the judge for operating a prostitution business there.  I am sure there are 100s of similar heart-warming stories about the Barringer. By the way, my uncle left town, went to work for the government and on to better things. I am glad there is a chance for revival for the building. 

43 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

There is such an urgency to tear down the structures that were a huge part of Charlotte's past. The Barringer is one of the sites. It would be so great if it could be "renovated" and brought back to life an an elegant building from the past. After WWII, my uncle was discharged from the 82nd Airborne and became a bellhop there. He was eventually ran out of town via the judge for operating a prostitution business there.  I am sure there are 100s of similar heart-warming stories about the Barringer. By the way, my uncle left town, went to work for the government and on to better things. I am glad there is a chance for revival for the building. 

Agree that saving this structure is the right way to go.  Sure it may not have the opulence of some grand buildings elsewhere in the country, but it's part of a rapidly disappearing breed of old buildings that have often been destroyed in favor of shiny new things.  Ironically, many of the new structures are at best bland and at worst look like dog s---. 

Fortunately this one sounds like it will be saved.  Also I think it's in the register of historic places.  

• Like 1

Here is the information from the CMHP commission. It was the only high rise built between 1920s and 1950s in Charlotte when it opened in 1940 right during WW II. The last high rises were built in the early 1920s so it was quite significant.  http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/Surveys&RBarringerHotel.htm   Not sure what the inside looks like but an all brick building like that is a rarity today and would likely never be built. It will make a great boutique hotel. 

It has been empty for years as the Housing authority used it to temporarily house residents from Edwin Towers when it was renovated. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dale said:

I thought that Hall House was slated to be part of the library redevelopment ?

It is actually the next block up from the Library but since the city owns it, it is apart of the redevelopment. 

If the Barringer gets restored we would have 3 historic hotels in uptown Charlotte. 2 others are the Dunhill and of course the newly renovated Iveys. 

Here is the info on the 10 story  Dunhill Mayfair Manor and this was one of the first high rise apartment towers built as half hotel half apartments. http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rmayfair.htm

Many times you look at Uptown and think all history has been wiped away and a lot has but there are nuggets still standing.  Like most of 4th Ward, Dunhill, Latta Arcade, Iveys, and various other buildings including 2 high rise offices Tryon Place and Johnston Bldg at 212 S Tryon. Our new towers so dominate the skyline they are lost in the shuffle. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It is actually the next block up from the Library but since the city owns it, it is apart of the redevelopment. 

If the Barringer gets restored we would have 3 historic hotels in uptown Charlotte. 2 others are the Dunhill and of course the newly renovated Iveys. 

Here is the info on the 10 story  Dunhill Mayfair Manor and this was one of the first high rise apartment towers built as half hotel half apartments. http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rmayfair.htm

Many times you look at Uptown and think all history has been wiped away and a lot has but there are nuggets still standing.  Like most of 4th Ward, Dunhill, Latta Arcade, Iveys, and various other buildings including 2 high rise offices Tryon Place and Johnston Bldg at 212 S Tryon. Our new towers so dominate the skyline they are lost in the shuffle. 

Isn't it true that Charlotte didn't really hit the afterburners, until the 1940's, and that there were never many historic highrises to begin with ?

15 minutes ago, Dale said:

Isn't it true that Charlotte didn't really hit the afterburners, until the 1940's, and that there were never many historic highrises to begin with ?

There were a few highrise buildings, but nothing that would be mind blowing today (in terms of scale). There were, however, tons of low-to-midrise buildings that were destroyed. Most of the destruction happened largely in the 60s-80s in favor of actual highrises or their associated parking lots. When people lament the loss of historic buildings, this is what they're talking about. Tryon Street (and Trade St) probably looked a lot like Fayetteville Street in Raleigh (or the main street in any medium to large city in the Carolinas (except Charleston)) at one point in time - tons of what we would refer to today as "historic" commercial buildings. 

While I would agree with the argument that more history remains in Charlotte than we give ourselves credit for, the truth is that we've leveled so much of it that what remains is more of a patchwork and doesn't give you that cohesive/consistent feel of being in a historic place. That feeling (or lack of it) in and of itself wouldn't be an issue except that what we replaced it with at the street level is giant lobbies for office towers.

• Like 2

Speaking of the old Barringer Hotel here are some photos I took today. I would agree our historical properties are scattered around uptown and many lost but the reason for big lobbies are tall buildings. Tall buildings require huge lobbies for the elevator banks and while retail can be added (as is being done at BofA Plaza) you still need huge common areas. We have such buildings because of our office users mainly banks they require large floorplates. In walking N Tryon St today as I did there is a lot more historical buildings on this stretch. Iveys, Dunhill, St Peters, Spirit Squre (old First Baptist Church) the Duckworths building which was a Buick dealership back in the 1940s, the Barringer Hotel etc. 

Photo of site of the Intercontinental Hotel at the Carolina Theatre too. It is is fenced in and has a porta-jon. This is going to be one of the most interesting construction sites in Charlotte as there is no room to lay down anything and it is a tight spot to begin with. 

DSCN3119.JPG

DSCN3120.JPG

DSCN3143.JPG

DSCN3142.JPG

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Speaking of the old Barringer Hotel here are some photos I took today. I would agree our historical properties are scattered around uptown and many lost but the reason for big lobbies are tall buildings. Tall buildings require huge lobbies for the elevator banks and while retail can be added (as is being done at BofA Plaza) you still need huge common areas. We have such buildings because of our office users mainly banks they require large floorplates. In walking N Tryon St today as I did there is a lot more historical buildings on this stretch. Iveys, Dunhill, St Peters, Spirit Squre (old First Baptist Church) the Duckworths building which was a Buick dealership back in the 1940s, the Barringer Hotel etc. 

Photo of site of the Intercontinental Hotel at the Carolina Theatre too. It is is fenced in and has a porta-jon. This is going to be one of the most interesting construction sites in Charlotte as there is no room to lay down anything and it is a tight spot to begin with. 

DSCN3119.JPG

DSCN3120.JPG

DSCN3143.JPG

DSCN3142.JPG

Nice photos of the Barringer. There is potential there. The Carolina Theater area has a dumpster more than it did about 10 days ago. 

12 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Expecting more upscale flags to be announced as part of the Observer development and the Tryon Place development. Would love to see a W Hotel or Loews. 

I wonder if they have begun renovations of the inside of the theater?  Looks like the dumpster is  empty and I haven't seen any equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Story about new Springhill Suites Hotel offers some great photos and interesting nuggets. 

"Part of what saved time was building the hotel's bathroom pods offsite — shipping them in fully designed, pre-punched and ready to be plugged in Lego-style."  And this: +Interiors at the uptown SpringHill Suites were done by retailer West Elm, which partnered with SpringHill Suites to create a line of furniture and accessories. The hotel rooms include West Elm sofas with a hidden trundle bed and a day bed option, instead of the more standard sleeper sofa."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/07/24/uptown-springhill-suites-delivered-on-budget-on.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=scroll&ed=2017-07-24&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1500898546&j=78592441  Subscriber only 

• Like 1