New Hotels in/around Uptown

cltbwimob

• 1 month later...

More talk about a 800-1000 room hotel subsidized in uptown Charlotte. Maybe at the Duke Energy site on South Tryon and College where they may or may not (LOL) build a high rise office tower that they anchor.  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/20/campaign-begins-for-convention-hotel-in.html?ana=TWT_staffES

• Like 2

No wonder Duke Energy is building a new data center up in the University Research Park and new campus up there that has got big security. Did not know the city owns the  Duke data center site uptown but that makes sense that whole block used to the Carolina Trade Mart where the convention center stands.  Either location would be great for a huge hotel and the city owns the land there is a chunk of the investment needed right there. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

The new hotel will be at 1 of 2 sites.  The current Duke data center building on the same block as the Convention Center or the surface lot across Caldwell from the NASCAR Plaza office tower. City controls both sites already.

BTW... staycationed at Ivey's a couple weekends ago and it was great.  Very very cool renovation.

The city controls the data center? Interesting. 

And yes a staycation at the Iveys is a must. So great 

6 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Hoping for a W, Loews, Fairmont, or JW. Charlotte is seriously lacking in the upscale hotel market. 

I would also like to see a Four Seasons or Mandarin.  Think we need another 5*.  I forgot about the Intercontinental u/c at the theater...that will add to the inventory, just not sure how's it's progressing right now.  But just for fun from the ones you mentioned:

Ally Charlotte Center: Loews.  Legacy Union: W Charlotte Hotel & Residences (I can really envision this there with all the retail/location).  Convention Hotel: JW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Think we need another 5*.  I forgot about the Intercontinental u/c at the theater...that will add to the inventory, just not sure how's it's progressing right now.  

Been by the Carolina Theater site this week a few times. There is work going on, but it seems to be very specific (not a ton of people) just a couple big trucks and hoses running into the building. I am hoping that they are working on foundation pylons, but that's just my wishful thinking... Maybe they are just preparing the theater for the actual construction to start...

• Like 2

On 9/20/2017 at 5:37 PM, atlrvr said:

The new hotel will be at 1 of 2 sites.  The current Duke data center building on the same block as the Convention Center or the surface lot across Caldwell from the NASCAR Plaza office tower. City controls both sites already.

BTW... staycationed at Ivey's a couple weekends ago and it was great.  Very very cool renovation.

Does it have to be on city owned land?

I would rather the city partner with Lincoln Harris and build a large hotel tower at the corner of Stonewall/Tryon. I would imagine it would also be great for recruiting retail tenants for Lincoln Harris to have a 1000+ Convention hotel on site. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We try to stay at the Dunhill at least once a year - usually over the Christmas holiday! It's a neat building (who remembers Monticello Restaurant??)

Good for them and great publicity

I love The 'Hill.  Very comfortable bar, no tv's!!!  Great place to meet people.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another Cambria is coming to the Charlotte area, this time in the Knowledge Park development in Rock Hill ( I know...not in Uptown). We went from none of this brand to two announced hotels in the span of a month.  

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/article181393566.html

Also don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere but Gastonia is getting an Ascend Collection hotel-also a higher-end Choice Hotel brand.  Additionally, Aloft is developing two new properties in the region, one near the airport and one at Langtree.  With the Kimpton and  Grand Bohemian in Uptown, Charlotte should have a nice little portfolio of boutique brand hotels.   Canopy will make its way Uptown one day too I'm told.

Now if we could only get Hotel Indigo, West Elm, and maybe a Hyatt Centric or Andaz we'd really have a strong collection of boutique brand  hotels.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 1:47 AM, cltbwimob said:

Another Cambria is coming to the Charlotte area, this time in the Knowledge Park development in Rock Hill ( I know...not in Uptown). We went from none of this brand to two announced hotels in the span of a month.  

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/article181393566.html

Also don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere but Gastonia is getting an Ascend Collection hotel-also a higher-end Choice Hotel brand.  Additionally, Aloft is developing two new properties in the region, one near the airport and one at Langtree.  With the Kimpton and  Grand Bohemian in Uptown, Charlotte should have a nice little portfolio of boutique brand hotels.   Canopy will make its way Uptown one day too I'm told.

Now if we could only get Hotel Indigo, West Elm, and maybe a Hyatt Centric or Andaz we'd really have a strong collection of boutique brand  hotels.

West Elm has (had?) plans for a  hotel in South End, and Hotel Indigo is (was?) planned on eight floors in Tryon Plaza. Not sure if these fell through or just haven't gotten started.

Edited by TheOneRJ

West Elm had plans to go in South End but backed out.  They are however said to be scouting other locations.

As for Indigo, I think they have tried at least 3 times to establish a property in Charlotte-Southend, Uptown, and Southpark I believe we're the locations.  To this point all deals have fallen apart.  According to Jayvee or RDF (can't remember exactly who), there is a plan for them in some other development but there has been no word on whether that development is still moving along or if it's dead.