420 Church St. | 9-Story Residential

Cleaver5

• 6 months later...

• 8 months later...
26 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Since Eola was taken, I think they just chose the next best marketable area for around here. 

Think of the possibilities once we unhinge the marketing folks from mere facts: Had we just renamed Lake Underhill Puget Sound, we could have landed HQ2 since it would sound just like home!

How about Oceanside Park instead of Gaston Edwards? Save time getting to the beach!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

• sunshine changed the title to 420 Church St. | 9-Story Residential
20 hours ago, bqknight said:

Just got a letter at my door.

420 is now Camden Thornton Park. 

I don’t actively engage with my leasing office but I had no idea. Makes sense given 520 though. 

Do you have a pic/can share the announcement ? i am very curious who was involved in making this decision. Am going to reach out to Camden but curious to see what they put out first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Really, why? Have they had problems with leaks?

Could be preventative. Post did it like 4-5 years ago to better protect the building. Then the new owners last year thought they should paint it again and put cheap paint over the sealant stuff and it just peels off in big chunks. It looks great.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:37 AM, AmIReal said:

Really, why? Have they had problems with leaks?

My first apartment there had leaks - water started coming in during Irma in multiple locations. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a more common issue. 

I've mentioned it before but the place was built pretty....meh. Since Camden bought it, they've been fixing up a lot of things. Brighter lighting in the garages, work around the pool deck, it's been a pretty constant flow of small work being done. The elevators also ALWAYS break - I mean - one of them goes out of service at least twice a week. 

58 minutes ago, bqknight said:

My first apartment there had leaks - water started coming in during Irma in multiple locations. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a more common issue. 

I've mentioned it before but the place was built pretty....meh. Since Camden bought it, they've been fixing up a lot of things. Brighter lighting in the garages, work around the pool deck, it's been a pretty constant flow of small work being done. The elevators also ALWAYS break - I mean - one of them goes out of service at least twice a week. 

Even though the building is concrete frame I believe the leaks have something to do with using an EIFS-like stucco as sheathing rather than using solid concrete walls (as seen in gibby's historical photo below). They might hold up ok during normal weather, but when it rains horizontally the water will find its way inside of the building envelope. If the building were wood frame, the moisture would lead to expensive repairs which is why I don't understand why developers insist on cutting corners to throw up OSB sheathing multifamily apartments. I find it misleading when these types of apartments then have the audacity to self appoint themselves as luxury apartments... the industry really should create a standard in order to be able to use that title IMO!

On 5/8/2015 at 2:41 PM, gibby said:

post-6877-0-33585400-1431110423_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

There has been consistent construction on 420 over the last two months. I'm sure the work was planned prior to COVID but it's LOUD. Everywhere in the building. Tons of people are complaining - but it's extremely short sided of them. They blame Camden - who did not build this building. 

In all honesty, I think the building needed major work to help with support. Camden would not be doing this construction if they didn't have to - it would be a waste of money. There's cracks in the building, weird noises happen all the time and you can hear your upstairs neighbor thumping around all the time. 

Camden also stated that the building is getting a makeover. I assume if the appearance was going to change they would need to submit? I wouldn't be shocked if they were going to repaint. 520 looks nothing like 420. Guess we'll see...

• Like 1

Welcome to Orlando. Lousy architecture, lousy build. I was once told to never live in anything built here after the ‘60’s, as professionalism quickly gave way to shoddy construction. 

When Hurricane Andrew moved through Dade in the early ‘90’s, scores of houses built by developers like Arvida fell apart and blew away. Oddly, some of the most solid dwellings at the time were the ones built by Habitat For Humanity.

It’s shameful but apparently things haven’t changed much.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bqknight said:

There has been consistent construction on 420 over the last two months. I'm sure the work was planned prior to COVID but it's LOUD. Everywhere in the building. Tons of people are complaining - but it's extremely short sided of them. They blame Camden - who did not build this building. 

In all honesty, I think the building needed major work to help with support. Camden would not be doing this construction if they didn't have to - it would be a waste of money. There's cracks in the building, weird noises happen all the time and you can hear your upstairs neighbor thumping around all the time. 

Camden also stated that the building is getting a makeover. I assume if the appearance was going to change they would need to submit? I wouldn't be shocked if they were going to repaint. 520 looks nothing like 420. Guess we'll see...

The Grande is dealing with the same thing right now.

• Like 1

^^I saw that coming, posted this in the Union West at CV thread last year, but tried to be discrete about it:

On 2/9/2019 at 12:25 PM, nite owℓ said:

I wasn't aware of it, but yes this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Metrowest condos rack up $3.5M in fines for construction defects

There's another condo in our downtown core that appears to be going through undiagnosed water damage. I don't want to publicy name names, but regardless it seems like all wood framed structures with exterior sheathing/EIFS are bound to fail IMO. And when that time comes, are these apt/condo complexes really going to be able to pony up the money to make repairs?? I doubt it.

Not sure if you noticed, but you can see damage to the sheathing (painted in blue) in both of the pics I quoted.  :tw_weary: (This might not be the best example since the building's frame appears to be concrete. It's the all wood frame buildings that I'm really concerned about.)

Pic 1: damage below the large window on both left and right sides

Pic 2: damage/shoddy work above the row of windows on the podium

This is why I keep railing against wood frame apartments built downtown: they aren't built to last. Even some of the new apartments towers with concrete framework are being sheathed with "styrofoam" exterior walls... how is this luxury again??  Wood frame in combination with EIFS exteriors are not a good combination especially in humid/rainy climates IMO. By the time the exterior starts to look bad, the damage that lies beneath is usually much worse. Repairs can be very costly and of course the HOA or mgmt company will have difficulty coughing up the cash to pay for expenses. Over the years, it will further lead to blight as no one will see it worth the money to continually maintain/repair a building that has lost its value. I've noticed a lot of units have been put up for sale in certain buildings over the past year. If they need to repaint to "seal the envelope" then they probably experienced water intrusion at some point. A guy who works for one of the larger pest control companies mentioned to me that one of the more well known "luxury" apartments downtown (wood frame) also had significant termite damage.

The only silver lining is when the building finally becomes worthless decades later, a developer will swoop in, buy the property and redevelop. But will they use wood frame again to save money or will they finally build something meant to last? Hopefully prefab concrete construction will eventually become a cost-effective alternative to wood in the future.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

^^I saw that coming, posted this in the Union West at CV thread last year, but tried to be discrete about it:

This is why I keep railing against wood frame apartments built downtown: they aren't built to last. Even some of the new apartments towers with concrete framework are being sheathed with "styrofoam" exterior walls... how is this luxury again??  Wood frame in combination with EIFS exteriors are not a good combination especially in humid/rainy climates IMO. By the time the exterior starts to look bad, the damage that lies beneath is usually much worse. Repairs can be very costly and of course the HOA or mgmt company will have difficulty coughing up the cash to pay for expenses. Over the years, it will further lead to blight as no one will see it worth the money to continually maintain/repair a building that has lost its value. I've noticed a lot of units have been put up for sale in certain buildings over the past year. If they need to repaint to "seal the envelope" then they probably experienced water intrusion at some point. A guy who works for one of the larger pest control companies mentioned to me that one of the more well known "luxury" apartments downtown (wood frame) also had significant termite damage.

The only silver lining is when the building finally becomes worthless decades later, a developer will swoop in, buy the property and redevelop. But will they use wood frame again to save money or will they finally build something meant to last? Hopefully prefab concrete construction will eventually become a cost-effective alternative to wood in the future.

Your beef is more with maintenance, not the wood frame structure. It could also be shoddy installation but maintenance is typically the issue. Wood frame structures with stucco can last for a very very long time if properly maintained. 

Outside of Steele House, Camden north Orlando and Central Station, have there been any wood frame apartments built in downtown over the past 20 years? 

32 minutes ago, jack said:

Your beef is more with maintenance, not the wood frame structure. It could also be shoddy installation but maintenance is typically the issue. Wood frame structures with stucco can last for a very very long time if properly maintained. 

Outside of Steele House, Camden north Orlando and Central Station, have there been any wood frame apartments built in downtown over the past 20 years? 

*posted in error

Edited by nite owℓ