420 Church St. | 9-Story Residential

Cleaver5

2 hours ago, jack said:

Your beef is more with maintenance, not the wood frame structure. It could also be shoddy installation but maintenance is typically the issue. Wood frame structures with stucco can last for a very very long time if properly maintained. 

Outside of Steele House, Camden north Orlando and Central Station, have there been any wood frame apartments built in downtown over the past 20 years? 

Oops, posted my comment on accident before I could finish. It wasn't a rebuttal to your question, but I was responding to your opinion of "my beef". My beef is with modern wood frame buildings, period. I've lived in a shiny new luxury wood framed apartment back in the day and will never go back. Yes, there are a few historic buildings and bungalows in the CRA that were built using REAL stucco that are still standing, unfortunately some of them are also hiding termite & water damage. IMO, EIFS/styrofoam sheathing on wood frame buildings and homes should be avoided in FL due to our climate. You can get away with using EIFS on buildings that are constructed with concrete walls for decoration without worry of things rotting away underneath. The reality is that very few buildings invest in proper exterior maintenance, it's costly. I think it's a waste to continue to use cheap non-durable materials like wood and particleboard OSB in areas of the country with high humidity, rain, hurricanes and termites.

So to clarify what I was trying to say earlier: I don't see the following buildings standing up to the test of time, wear and tear: Park North At Cheney Place, Uptown, The Grande, Post Parkside Apts (the newer buildings, not the old hotel tower portion), CSS, Novel Lucerne, there might be a few I might be forgetting.

Edited by nite owℓ

I had seen a review in 2018 of a resident in 420 who posted photos of the issues that his apartment had. Since they are doing work under EACH WINDOW I assume this problem exists all over the building and has been around for a long time. The extent of the issue is probably extremely bad. Not only do they have to make exterior repairs, but interior too. You can see here: 

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/camden-thornton-park-apartments-orlando?userid=Oq6YLZR-HZvNL8LdDzcQ9w

The somewhat hilarious yet sad thing is they chose to do this repair during a time when essentially everybody is working from home, and they close their pool. I think I already mentioned this, but it's just too screwed up.

BqKnight. Do you live there? 

o.jpg

• Like 2

I do live there. I moved into the building within the first year of it opening. I enjoy the location and the price I'm paying can't really be beat in the area. I want to live downtown but can't live in the CBD.

I don't really blame them for doing the construction now. I'm sure it was planned before and the building needs help. All those workers now have jobs as well, which is needed right now. I hate how thin the floors are more than the construction. 

3 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

Thanks. I agree, the location cannot be beat. Did they give a timeline of completion or, an idea of the extent of the work? For example, are they fixing the entire building?

It sounds like they are doing the whole building. Pool will be done next week. Then the first side they are doing by mid-June. But they didn't give beyond that. 

They will be painting as well though. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

It's not about the record,  or Physical Medium,

It's about    the  "Store" Dude!

You got to go to the store to listen   and experience.  

Drop a needle on a record and  listen to a lot. Find the ones you want, and find out about the ones you don't want to listen to anymore. 

"They" didn't disable anything. 

57 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Drop a needle on a record and  listen to a lot. Find the ones you want, and find out about the ones you don't want to listen to anymore. 

I'd argue it's also about the physical medium.  People like collecting "things", and records can be interesting things to collect. 

• Thanks 1

Vinyl sound is actually mastered differently than digital. 

In order to create a vinyl analog press, they have to deal with subsonic and bass frequencies and master the file so that the needle doesn't jump out of the groove. 

The higher frequencies are generally accurate, but they can't capture extreme highs and some out of range or inaudible extremes. 

It is limited to a range and it does sound different than digital. It also "fills in the blanks" of digital, as an organic waveform, not a reconstruction of one. Of course, it depends on if the original recording was created with all the information present in the first place. (a lot of old records were master "taped") 

9 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

So you go in, listen to their records to find out what you like and don't like, then leave without buying anything, go home and download.

Sounds like a true winner of a business model.  :whistling:

:D

8 hours ago, elefants said:

I'd argue it's also about the physical medium.  People like collecting "things", and records can be interesting things to collect. 

A guy I know from another forum who is getting on in years, occasionally mentions the "twelve feet of albums" he has to figure out what to do with before he departs the mortal world. 

I believe it's meant to be a record store/book store/coffee shop. This little strip has quite the potential. You just need to have GOOD stuff there. Greenery Creamery is always busy. Great Harvest seems to be doing pretty well, given the circumstances and I walked by the new bar next door the other day at like 7p and it was as full as legally allowed I would say. 

@popsiclebrandon do you have any insights as to what may be coming to 520? Have the leased any of the retail spots? Some of them look quite massive. 

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I'm that guy who will try to download vinyl rips over pure "digital" rips for my media collection. I get the vinyl thing.

A lot f it is just the history and nostalgia.

And of course, the cover art.

You don't get a cool looking printed cardboard cover with a download.

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

I believe it's meant to be a record store/book store/coffee shop. This little strip has quite the potential. You just need to have GOOD stuff there. Greenery Creamery is always busy. Great Harvest seems to be doing pretty well, given the circumstances and I walked by the new bar next door the other day at like 7p and it was as full as legally allowed I would say. 

@popsiclebrandon do you have any insights as to what may be coming to 520? Have the leased any of the retail spots? Some of them look quite massive. 

Haven't heard anything. Gonna be a slow fill I would bet. Commercial is pretty dead right now and these spikes are only going to prolong it. Too many 2nd gen spots opening up.

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

The one in Citi Tower?  I was there last Fri night.  Got a table with 2 of my chums in the corner away from everyone.  It was steady but probably at 15% capacity for its size.

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

So you go in, listen to their records to find out what you like and don't like, then leave without buying anything, go home and download.

Sounds like a true winner of a business model.  :whistling:

:D

A guy I know from another forum who is getting on in years, occasionally mentions the "twelve feet of albums" he has to figure out what to do with before he departs the mortal world. 

I went to Re-Runz Records off of OBT the other day. There were 6-8 people in there at any one time in the hour or so I was there, most buying $50+ in records, some buying over $200. My purchase was just shy of $100.   There is definitely a market, whether they can do the amount of business to make that space make sense is another question.

17 minutes ago, smileguy said:

I went to Re-Runz Records off of OBT the other day. There were 6-8 people in there at any one time in the hour or so I was there, most buying $50+ in records, some buying over $200. My purchase was just shy of $100.   There is definitely a market, whether they can do the amount of business to make that space make sense is another question.

I have a halfway decent sized collection I'm thinking of trying to sell off.

Maybe I'll take them in for an offer.